Ulster Workers Strike 2024

Started by trailer, January 15, 2024, 12:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: LC on February 22, 2024, 06:38:09 PMMoved in to the public sector a few years ago after 20+ years in the private sector.  Took a sizeable pay cut but joined mainly for pension, holidays etc plus less travelling.

No doubt about the public sector is full of a serious amount of arseh*les full of their own importance and would not last 5 mins in the private sector.  To them their job is crap but none of them will leave because they know if they went somewhere else they might have to work.

My 'welcome to the public sector' moment was when I asked one of my department members to do something one day and they turned around and said that it was not in their job description so they refused to do it.

Was his name Tony?

Square Ball

Parts of the Nics have a high percentage of Agency staff at the Admin Officer grade, some super staff and have been there years, but there is a high attrition rate. Most of the new staff are between 18-20, makes me feel very old, first job and it's a massive shock when they realise what's involved. Seen training courses reduce by 50% before they even hit the floor.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

5times5times

Quote from: LC on February 22, 2024, 06:38:09 PMMoved in to the public sector a few years ago after 20+ years in the private sector.  Took a sizeable pay cut but joined mainly for pension, holidays etc plus less travelling.

No doubt about the public sector is full of a serious amount of arseh*les full of their own importance and would not last 5 mins in the private sector.  To them their job is crap but none of them will leave because they know if they went somewhere else they might have to work.

My 'welcome to the public sector' moment was when I asked one of my department members to do something one day and they turned around and said that it was not in their job description so they refused to do it.

I always thought it was a myth, that the public sector is where you want your career to end up? What # of hols are we talking compared to private sector? Generally private is 25 plus bank hols etc.

imtommygunn

My dad went private to public allbeit years ago. He would have a good work ethic and said you wouldn't believe some of the things you see.

I don't doubt there are good people in there but the general consensus would seem to be a good bit of deadweight too.

RedHand88

Another public sector story I can share. The soap dispenser at work ran out and whoever noticed it put a sticker on it saying "needs refilled - contact head office" or something to that effect. Have also seen where a light bulb goes out a request is logged for it to be changed. Someone will come out, confirm said light bulb needs replaced, log the visit, then arrange for someone to come out to change it, which might be days later,
This is not a joke.

RedHand88

Quote from: 5times5times on February 23, 2024, 11:47:32 AM

I always thought it was a myth, that the public sector is where you want your career to end up? What # of hols are we talking compared to private sector? Generally private is 25 plus bank hols etc.

I would get 28, plus a nicer pension and sick pay than probably 95% of private sector.

trailer

Quote from: Square Ball on February 23, 2024, 11:12:53 AMParts of the Nics have a high percentage of Agency staff at the Admin Officer grade, some super staff and have been there years, but there is a high attrition rate. Most of the new staff are between 18-20, makes me feel very old, first job and it's a massive shock when they realise what's involved. Seen training courses reduce by 50% before they even hit the floor.

Anyone with any ambition or "go" in them wouldn't stay in those jobs.

thewobbler

There are two major problems with the public sector.

The first is one they have built themselves, whereby decades of fastidious improvements to equality and fairness, has produced corporate structures and cultures so egalitarian that, ironically, they are plainly unfair.  The reward for working hard is the same as it is for doing nothing. The reward for being punctual, efficient and attentive is the same as it is for taking extended sick leave. Furthermore the only way to progress is to work between the lines; for the higher-ups have neither the interest nor the will to have the can shaken. They're closer to retirement than you, and upheaval is just not part of their plan.

But I still believe, wholeheartedly, that the public sector would continue to work (if more than a little inefficiently) if it wasn't for the second problem being faced, and one they cannot control. This is the price of housing.

See I fundamentally believe there are lots and lots and lots of good hearted, bright and gifted people in every country, who do not suffer from material greed, but instead take happiness from knowing they've helped others have a better day or a better ljfe. Basically, people who are perfect for public service. Problem is, every year, more and more of these people are being priced out of public service. They still want to serve. But when upwards on 75% of their salary is needed just to rent a place within an hour of their place of employment, being bright and gifted people, their choice is made up for them. They go to work in the private sector, then volunteer in other ways when they've time to do so. These are the people leaving the public sector. And as each one leaves, the mess becomes more obvious.

——

Anyone who has convinced themselves that it's possible to have a happy, functional society without a strong public sector, is absolutely f**king deluded.

It's in all our interests to fix this problem.

Saying "f**k them, let them leave" is not going to fix the problem. This is the attitude that will draw us into anarchy.

trueblue1234

Just moved to public sector in last 2 years and took a fairly substantial pay cut. But family needs forced it. But I Have 25 day holidays going up to 30 after 5 years. Then 12 bank holidays which is good. But the biggest wtf is having flexi time. I still, after 2 years, Can't believe how good it is!! It has changed my life.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tony Baloney

I've got a few extra days for long service which puts me up to 37 days holidays which isn't too shabby for private sector.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 23, 2024, 07:55:04 PM

Just moved to public sector in last 2 years and took a fairly substantial pay cut. But family needs forced it. But I Have 25 day holidays going up to 30 after 5 years. Then 12 bank holidays which is good. But the biggest wtf is having flexi time. I still, after 2 years, Can't believe how good it is!! It has changed my life.
Was chatting to a fella in work today who was saying he met a chap that left our place a few years ago is now working for the council and is loving life. No stress, clocks out at the end of the day and leaves his work behind him. A lot to be said for it. The constant stress in my work is the main downside of it and the older I get the more I wonder is it worth it. Another to get thru uni first (and get a car!).

JoG2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 23, 2024, 08:09:46 PM

Was chatting to a fella in work today who was saying he met a chap that left our place a few years ago is now working for the council and is loving life. No stress, clocks out at the end of the day and leaves his work behind him. A lot to be said for it. The constant stress in my work is the main downside of it and the older I get the more I wonder is it worth it. Another to get thru uni first (and get a car!).

I made the leap (it was forced really, the company went into liquidation, bought over and relocated) from the private to the public sector about 8 years ago. Took a fair drop in wages, but it's the best thing (work wise) that's happened to me. The stress of the last place near drove me to the drink.
Loving what I do now, a good team of 12, not a bluffer in sight. Don't take the work home, great holiday entitlement. No Sunday blues. Would highly recommend  ;D

LC

There now a few years and between statutory holidays and annual leave entitlement I up to 44 days all in, was 29 in the private sector.  That combined with wfh a couple of days a week it has been a real game changer.  Bar winning the lottery we all now have to work to our late 60s so as far as I am concerned to all intents and purposes I have guaranteed for the next 20 years job security, holiday entitlements, fixed and high pension contribution and if I need (please God I dont) 6 months full sick pay.  Setting aside salary comparisons you will not find this in anywhere in the private sector.  My last private sector job was fairly pressurised to the point I do not think I could have stuck at it to 50 let alone made it to retirement age. Drive a sh*t car but still fairly happy with my lot, 5 years to go on the mortgage so hopefully this will help out when / if youngsters go on to 3rd level.

p3427977

So 4.5% for NICS and £1500 below G6.

Kidder81

Quote from: p3427977 on February 25, 2024, 08:23:13 PMSo 4.5% for NICS and £1500 below G6.

Not sure that would be accepted, I had heard late on Friday no offer on the table yet, as Translink have been made an offer of more than 5%