The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 20, 2023, 02:08:31 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 19, 2023, 07:59:05 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 19, 2023, 07:56:11 PM
How dare Fox mislead their viewers with lies, half truths and unverified allegations

They should really follow the leads of their "peers " in respected publications like The NY Times

https://www.cjr.org/special_report/trumped-up-press-versus-president-ed-note.php

Here we go. Dr. False Equivalency, Ph.D!

Not to mention the Kavanaugh debacle

Several Democratic presidential candidates Started calling for the impeachment of a sitting Supreme Court Justice based on what they read in The NY Times

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/16/new-york-times-brett-kavanaugh-book-1498153

NY Times is no better than Fox News....in fact it's actually worse

They actually won a Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the Russia Hoax-LOL

Yep, false equivalency from whitey as per usual. No matter what the right does, the left, the Dems and the "mainstream media" are always far, far worse.

And still refusing to acknowledge the very real and pertinent reasons why investigations were required on what connections there could have been between the Trump campaign and Russia.

And neglecting to mention the fact that the Times had to quickly correct the story and issue an apology for the tweet promoting it.

Have Fox issued a retraction or apologized for the Dominion debacle and the damage their false promotion of the election lies did to the country? Have they apologized for their January 6th horseshit, which continues as we speak? For Hannity's on-air harassment of the grieving family of Seth Rich and the libelous insinuations he was making? I could go on...

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 20, 2023, 05:31:38 AM
BREAKING: The county commissioner from Oklahoma who was caught on tape discussing lynching Black people and killing reporters has RESIGNED.

McCurtain County Commissioner Mark Jennings officially turned in his written note of resignation.

In the recording, Jennings appears to complain about not being able to hang Black people, saying: "They got more rights than we got."

More than 100 people gathered outside the McCurtain County Courthouse in Idabel earlier this week, with many of them calling for the sheriff and other county officials to resign.

Sure he was "only telling it like it is"!

Apparently blacks and gays and Muslims etc all have "more" rights than poor put upon white Christians. They're a bit like the unionists who whine because Catholics are no longer second class citizens in the north. The granting of equal rights to formerly persecuted minorities always seems to foster false victimhood in those who were part of what was once the dominant majority, as though they still didn't retain at least the same rights as the minorities now get to, subject to backlash, enjoy.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on April 20, 2023, 01:16:53 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 20, 2023, 05:31:38 AM
BREAKING: The county commissioner from Oklahoma who was caught on tape discussing lynching Black people and killing reporters has RESIGNED.

McCurtain County Commissioner Mark Jennings officially turned in his written note of resignation.

In the recording, Jennings appears to complain about not being able to hang Black people, saying: "They got more rights than we got."

More than 100 people gathered outside the McCurtain County Courthouse in Idabel earlier this week, with many of them calling for the sheriff and other county officials to resign.

Sure he was "only telling it like it is"!

Apparently blacks and gays and Muslims etc all have "more" rights than poor put upon white Christians. They're a bit like the unionists who whine because Catholics are no longer second class citizens in the north. The granting of equal rights to formerly persecuted minorities always seems to foster false victimhood in those who were part of what was once the dominant majority, as though they still didn't retain at least the same rights as the minorities now get to, subject to backlash, enjoy.

This is a very quotable statement.

Eamonnca1

BREAKING: Yesterday multiple Republican lawmakers in Michigan voted to uphold a law that banned unmarried couples from living together.

Below State Senator Thomas Albert argues in favor of the law, claiming that it's better for children to be in a household with married parents. Albert, and other Michigan Republicans also support laws that ban abortions at "all stages of development."

So Albert not only wants to force mothers to have babies they may not be ready for, but he also wants to break up families with caring unmarried parents when they do choose to have babies out of wedlock.

Stop pretending that Republicans actually care about the kids. They care about painting Democrats as murderers for allowing women to have a choice in deciding to abort conscienceless bean-sized fetuses at 6-weeks for reasons that they have no clue about.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 20, 2023, 12:37:12 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 20, 2023, 02:08:31 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 19, 2023, 07:59:05 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 19, 2023, 07:56:11 PM
How dare Fox mislead their viewers with lies, half truths and unverified allegations

They should really follow the leads of their "peers " in respected publications like The NY Times

https://www.cjr.org/special_report/trumped-up-press-versus-president-ed-note.php

Here we go. Dr. False Equivalency, Ph.D!

Not to mention the Kavanaugh debacle

Several Democratic presidential candidates Started calling for the impeachment of a sitting Supreme Court Justice based on what they read in The NY Times

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/16/new-york-times-brett-kavanaugh-book-1498153

NY Times is no better than Fox News....in fact it's actually worse

They actually won a Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the Russia Hoax-LOL

Yep, false equivalency from whitey as per usual. No matter what the right does, the left, the Dems and the "mainstream media" are always far, far worse.

And still refusing to acknowledge the very real and pertinent reasons why investigations were required on what connections there could have been between the Trump campaign and Russia.

And neglecting to mention the fact that the Times had to quickly correct the story and issue an apology for the tweet promoting it.

Have Fox issued a retraction or apologized for the Dominion debacle and the damage their false promotion of the election lies did to the country? Have they apologized for their January 6th horseshit, which continues as we speak? For Hannity's on-air harassment of the grieving family of Seth Rich and the libelous insinuations he was making? I could go on...

J70

Very few if any reasonable people watch Fox News, let alone believe what's on there

On the other hand, I know Ivy League educated people who swallowed......hook, line and sinker....every mis truth, inaccuracy and lie told by The NY Times and WaPo about Trump and Russia

I also have a friend who, probably once a week, posts something about Brett Kavanaugh which has been thoroughly debunked years ago. This guy has an MBA, finished first in his class and has an engineering degree

I would say the WAPO and NY Times have done as much damage as Fox, because people automatically assume they are telling the truth, whereas people just assume Fox is lying

J70

Ok, I'll play along.

What "lies" did the NY Times and the Washing Post print about Trump and Russia? If they did print any, were they known to be lies at the time? Were the NY Times chatting amongst themselves behind the scenes stating that they knew it was all lies, but they were going to continuously push them anyway for fear of losing their audience?

I don't really care about your MBA friend who's obsessed with Brett Kavanaugh. Nice story, but not sure what relevance that has to anything. Are stories about Kavanaugh prevalent on the news these days?

J70

And seriously... "Very few if any reasonable people watch Fox News, let alone believe what's on there"

Are you for real?

Or are you saying that the GOP base vote, especially seniors, are en masse unreasonable?

Gmac

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 20, 2023, 05:17:39 PM
Ok, I'll play along.

What "lies" did the NY Times and the Washing Post print about Trump and Russia? If they did print any, were they known to be lies at the time? Were the NY Times chatting amongst themselves behind the scenes stating that they knew it was all lies, but they were going to continuously push them anyway for fear of losing their audience?

I don't really care about your MBA friend who's obsessed with Brett Kavanaugh. Nice story, but not sure what relevance that has to anything. Are stories about Kavanaugh prevalent on the news these days?

Re read what I said

"Mis truths, inaccuracies AND lies" was the term I used-I probably should have included
Omissions

Doesn't have to be a full blown lie to have the same effect

I'm sure I can dig some out ( but I'm not infringe of my computer right now)  but going back to Kavanaugh for just a minute. They told a story about an alleged sexual assault by Kavanaugh at Yale. What they didn't tell you was that the person he supposedly assaulted had zero recollection of the event. Based on this "revelation" you had several presidential candidates calling for his impeachment

In your book is that a lie?

whitey

Ok, I'll play along.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/jan/31/columbia-journalism-review-trashes-award-winning-r/

"In January 2018, for example, The New York Times ignored a publicly available document showing that the FBI's lead investigator didn't think, after ten months of inquiry into possible Trump-Russia ties, that there was much there," Mr. Gerth reported. "This omission disserved Times readers. The paper says its reporting was thorough and 'in line with our editorial standards.'"

The report also recounts how The New York Times newsroom was shocked and caught "flat-footed" when special counsel Robert Mueller told Congress that he wouldn't pursue Mr. Trump's ouster. New York Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet's reaction to his staff was, "Holy s—t. Bob Mueller is not going to do it."

CJR's report also was critical of the media's "turbocharged" use of intentionally vague descriptors of anonymous sources such as "government official" or "American official," which he said were often used "to mask congressional leakers."

So I repeat. I have as much faith in Fox News as I do in The NY Times

Both told lies of epic proportions that undermined our democracy

One was very unsophisticated  and obvious, the other more cunning and deceptive

The bottom line is that in both instances, one side believed that a president had somehow cheated in order to win the election and was illegitimate

Puckoon

Quote from: Puckoon on April 20, 2023, 09:45:16 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 20, 2023, 04:55:55 PM

J70

Very few if any reasonable people watch Fox News, let alone believe what's on there

On the other hand, I know Ivy League educated people who swallowed......hook, line and sinker....every mis truth, inaccuracy and lie told by The NY Times and WaPo about Trump and Russia

I also have a friend who, probably once a week, posts something about Brett Kavanaugh which has been thoroughly debunked years ago. This guy has an MBA, finished first in his class and has an engineering degree

I would say the WAPO and NY Times have done as much damage as Fox, because people automatically assume they are telling the truth, whereas people just assume Fox is lying

Absolutely incorrect. And unabashed deflection.

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 20, 2023, 06:44:23 PM
Ok, I'll play along.

Re read what I said

"Mis truths, inaccuracies AND lies" was the term I used-I probably should have included
Omissions

Doesn't have to be a full blown lie to have the same effect

I'm sure I can dig some out ( but I'm not infringe of my computer right now)  but going back to Kavanaugh for just a minute. They told a story about an alleged sexual assault by Kavanaugh at Yale. What they didn't tell you was that the person he supposedly assaulted had zero recollection of the event. Based on this "revelation" you had several presidential candidates calling for his impeachment

In your book is that a lie?

Either a pointless lie or an incredibly sloppy omission. Pointless because they were never going to stand over it. Which they didn't. As is usually the case with reputable journalism.

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 20, 2023, 07:34:05 PM
Ok, I'll play along.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/jan/31/columbia-journalism-review-trashes-award-winning-r/

"In January 2018, for example, The New York Times ignored a publicly available document showing that the FBI's lead investigator didn't think, after ten months of inquiry into possible Trump-Russia ties, that there was much there," Mr. Gerth reported. "This omission disserved Times readers. The paper says its reporting was thorough and 'in line with our editorial standards.'"

The report also recounts how The New York Times newsroom was shocked and caught "flat-footed" when special counsel Robert Mueller told Congress that he wouldn't pursue Mr. Trump's ouster. New York Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet's reaction to his staff was, "Holy s—t. Bob Mueller is not going to do it."

CJR's report also was critical of the media's "turbocharged" use of intentionally vague descriptors of anonymous sources such as "government official" or "American official," which he said were often used "to mask congressional leakers."

So I repeat. I have as much faith in Fox News as I do in The NY Times

Both told lies of epic proportions that undermined our democracy

One was very unsophisticated  and obvious, the other more cunning and deceptive

The bottom line is that in both instances, one side believed that a president had somehow cheated in order to win the election and was illegitimate

Your faith is your own business. There is simply no comparison with what Fox did here. The sheer scale of the settlement with Dominion should force you to admit that.

Mueller caught a lot of people out with his timidity. Even then Barr still had to distort what he did find in HIS pre-emotive report and with the redactions.

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gmac

Every democrat in congress voted to allow biological males play in female sports today