FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

In fairness we were awful against Austria and to win the match would have been robbery but its true that we were in a great position to top the group and then had 4 poor games getting only 3 points. For once can we qualify without going through the bloody playoffs

Avondhu star

Ah well back to the 15000 a week job now for the players. Big one against Port Vale coming up.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

highorlow

Good point. We should pick our international team from 5 aside Footie players.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on November 15, 2017, 12:58:53 AM

Paul Geaney could hardly have a much worse strike rate than Murphy or Long if we tried him up front.

Avondhu star

As long as the aspiration of Irish clubs is to flog players to the U.K. things won't change. Players brought up in the culture of Seville Ajax Feyenoord will always beat the players from Bristol Burnley etc
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

ballinaman

The bitching between players was unusual for an Irish team, collective spirit and organisation was always one of our strong points. The panic set in early.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 07:28:42 AM
As long as the aspiration of Irish clubs is to flog players to the U.K. things won't change. Players brought up in the culture of Saville Ajax Feyenoord will always beat the players from Bristol Burnley etc
;D ;D ;D ;D

LooseCannon

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 01:27:58 AM

Paul Geaney could hardly have a much worse strike rate than Murphy or Long if we tried him up front.

Chris Barrett would've take Erikson out of the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:32:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2017, 11:22:00 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:14:56 PM
I think the RTE panel, overall, called it correctly.

Very poor individual performances, but at half time we're 1-2 down. We have 45 minutes to score two goals and concede none.

Would anybody on the board have put out a midfield of Brady & Hendrick sitting deep, McClean and Hoolahan occupying the same position centrally and McGeady on the wing? I'm genuinely wondering. Maybe I didn't see it properly and the positions were different, but they were the players playing across our midfield.

We might have lost by four goals regardless. But does anyone think that that was the way to go about winning the game?

Was it not working up until they scored 2 in 3 mins? Sloppy defending but of course that was MON's fault!

Seems most people would prefer a gun ho swashbuckling style of football!! Attack attack exciting! Well that's what happens when a limited team tries to win games! They get dicked, Martin is working with limited players, it's simple make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break..
It's very difficult to discuss or debate with you. Who asked for anything swashbuckling? This thread is full of comments like this. Barcelona get mentioned. Who ever said we should play like Barcelona?

To answer your question, if it is a serious question, it was never working; we were opened up before the goal. What exactly "it" was is what I was querying. What system were they sent out to play in the second half? Was Brady playing a defensive midfield role? If so, do you, or anyone, think that was a good move? Where was McClean supposed to be playing?

The irony is that I think he was too swashbuckling, as you put it, so did Hamann, Brady and Dunphy. Changes were needed for sure. But to empty the position that the opposition's danger man occupies makes no sense to me.

So instead of typing a general reply such as the one you did, why don't you address the questions I've asked? Or maybe you actually do believe that it's a case of "make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break.."?

When they score 2 goals in 3 minutes in a playoff, meaning you have to score 2 minimum to win the game then you have to go all out, he'd no choice as his defenders couldn't defend, couldn't pick up loose players.

Yes and I believe it is a case when you have a very limited team to make yourself difficult to break be strong in the back and work very hard on counter attacking and set pieces...If you believe that Ireland have players in that whole squad that could compete on a one to one with most Euro teams then you are mistaken, they don't.. play to your strengths.. keep the system for all your games home away, never going to win the World cup but to get to the finals is the prize, the money can then be put into the development of the youth systems around the country, thats the real prize..

sorry if thats a general reply as yours wouldnt have made a difference whatever the set up would have been in the second half
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersub

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 01:27:58 AM

Better off with Naomi Long

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2017, 04:42:59 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 14, 2017, 04:35:21 PM
I think the difference in Iceland is the coaching - you are not allowed coach U10s in Iceland unless you have UEFA 'B' accreditation (if you had UEFA 'B' in Ireland you would have been coaching senior squads in the Leinster Senior League or equivalent).  The new FAI player development pathway (PDP) programme, introduced by Ruud Dokter seeks to change all this - recent results for our underage international squads have already shown a benefit from this programme, so I think the future is brighter than it was.

But we had great underage results in the past with the likes of Brian Kerr. Is the coaching in the clubs aligned to this PDP?

And we qualified for a WC with the fruits of Kerr's labours at u16 and u18.  And it is.  And all the leagues are committed to implementing the structures - you should have a read of it, it's very interesting, from a coaching perspective.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 09:14:57 AM
I think the difference in Iceland is the coaching - you are not allowed coach U10s in Iceland unless you have UEFA 'B' accreditation (if you had UEFA 'B' in Ireland you would have been coaching senior squads in the Leinster Senior League or equivalent).  The new FAI player development pathway (PDP) programme, introduced by Ruud Dokter seeks to change all this - recent results for our underage international squads have already shown a benefit from this programme, so I think the future is brighter than it was.

But we had great underage results in the past with the likes of Brian Kerr. Is the coaching in the clubs aligned to this PDP?

And we qualified for a WC with the fruits of Kerr's labours at u16 and u18.  And it is.  And all the leagues are committed to implementing the structures - you should have a read of it, it's very interesting, from a coaching perspective.

I read about it, but I was wondering how readily it's been adapted. And my point is what was Kerr doing that stopped being done, that is now covered off under this Dutch lad?

And finally, who is helping the Dutch now? :)

Billys Boots

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 04:43:10 PM
Do you think O'Neill would change his approach if a batch of skilled players came through?

I don't, but that's not the point.  With the implementation of the PDP, the idea is that we will 'breed' a new type of coach/manager that is not obsessed with the premier league in England.  I think Ruud Dokter has taken his 'inspiration' from Belgium and Denmark (funnily); their own leagues aren't high quality, but they do develop good players occasionally that make their way in the world. 

AQMP

The 1-5 scoreline surprised me a bit but the fact that Denmark won didn't.  Ireland may be able to bluff it over 10 games in qualifying but in a one off cup tie that squad has the potential to be caught out.

There was some paper talk last year about Arter maybe declaring for England.  Cloud cuckoo land stuff.  Totally out of his depth.  Hoolahan and Brady - completely over rated, Ward - a disaster, Christie - found out, McGeady - waste of space, Murphy - just not good enough.  Duffy has been one of Ireland's better performers but he's still weak on his positioning when the opposition have the ball on the ground, the same with Clark who has improved over the past couple of years.  McClean gets 10/10 for effort and passion and he's one of the few Irish with a bit of pace but he needs to work on getting his head up and bringing other players into the game and though he has scored a couple of spectacular goals, overall his finishing needs improving.

The main negative point is that Ireland just isn't producing the players anymore, there's nothing coming through and nearly as bad there's no good English/Scottish players who want to play for us.  The future is grim.  I fear we'll struggle to qualify for a 48 team World Cup!

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 09:14:57 AM

I read about it, but I was wondering how readily it's been adapted. And my point is what was Kerr doing that stopped being done, that is now covered off under this Dutch lad?

And finally, who is helping the Dutch now? :)

My understanding (and experience) is that the better grassroots clubs are going for it full-throttle - progressive clubs have been crying out for it, really.  I'm going back to do one of the new courses myself in the coming months, so I'll have a better idea of where coaching is going. 

I think the new approach is very different to the Kerr curriculum, but Kerr was an excellent coach and a good man-manager.  A man (and a manager) in a million, but the type of development coach we need to be bringing through. 

The Dutch will come again - they are far too reliant on aging coaches and aging systems as it stands.  They'll be back, because they're smart.