Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 14, 2017, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on November 14, 2017, 10:39:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2017, 10:19:29 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 14, 2017, 10:15:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 14, 2017, 10:14:00 PM
I don't like Martin O'Neill but Tony O'Donoughe was being an arsehole there.
He is employed by R.T.E. Being an arsehole is a requirement there

Tony did absolutely nothing wrong.

MON needs to have a bit of a thicker skin than that for a fûcking sexagenarian, that wasn't exactly Nuremberg Trials stuff so I can only imagine what he'd do if a reporter wasn't trying to maintain a relationship with him would do and couldn't give a frig about him being offended and really dug into the holes in his logic.

"Would you call it a humiliation.....?"  Pathetic reporting.    Would've loved MON to say "f**k off you w**k-bag, is that the best question you can come up with?"
it was a humiliation, caused by his tactics and team selection. surely martin o'neill needs to answer for that, he gets well enough paid to stand and front up any awkward questions.

Still crap OTT questions. Most fans downbeat but Tony wants to go for it because of the whole persona Gift Grub hype around the interviews. No sense of professionalism. Actually thought MON fought his corner well.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2017, 10:54:16 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 14, 2017, 10:46:59 PM
Here sure we are all rugby mad anyway so who gives a f**k until Scotland beat us in the 6 nations and then we will all be mad golfers until Rory shanks his way round the majors too busy thinking about money, ulster rugby, Carl frampton or whatever else that seems to distract him. After that im just hoping the hockey or cricket crowd get their shit together lol

Speak for yourself, Johnny.

Ha Benny you need to get on the band wagon with the rest of the country when one lot suffer glorious failure then move to the next its a never ending cycle. Now some in 2018 may be interested in some fifa world cup but not me its all about lord Clifton Hugh Lancelot de verdon wrottesley winning the Skelton for ireland at the winter olympics just need to get him out of retirement first

Esmarelda

I think the RTE panel, overall, called it correctly.

Very poor individual performances, but at half time we're 1-2 down. We have 45 minutes to score two goals and concede none.

Would anybody on the board have put out a midfield of Brady & Hendrick sitting deep, McClean and Hoolahan occupying the same position centrally and McGeady on the wing? I'm genuinely wondering. Maybe I didn't see it properly and the positions were different, but they were the players playing across our midfield.

We might have lost by four goals regardless. But does anyone think that that was the way to go about winning the game?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:14:56 PM

Very poor individual performances, but at half time we're 1-2 down. We have 45 minutes to score two goals and concede none.

Would anybody on the board have put out a midfield of Brady & Hendrick sitting deep, McClean and Hoolahan occupying the same position centrally and McGeady on the wing? I'm genuinely wondering. Maybe I didn't see it properly and the positions were different, but they were the players playing across our midfield.

We might have lost by four goals regardless. But does anyone think that that was the way to go about winning the game?

Was it not working up until they scored 2 in 3 mins? Sloppy defending but of course that was MON's fault!

Seems most people would prefer a gun ho swashbuckling style of football!! Attack attack exciting! Well that's what happens when a limited team tries to win games! They get dicked, Martin is working with limited players, it's simple make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Denmark manager Hareide

"I was surprised really because I think they played in a diamond - the midfield - with two forwards, and our centre-halves can handle two forwards, but that gave a lot of space in centre midfield for Eriksen."

"Just to say, 'Thank you very much for giving us space', because they locked us down in Parken very well and Eriksen was very much out of the game  while today with the space given to him he was fantastic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2017, 11:02:55 PM

MON needs to have a bit of a thicker skin than that for a fûcking sexagenarian, that wasn't exactly Nuremberg Trials stuff so I can only imagine what he'd do if a reporter wasn't trying to maintain a relationship with him would do and couldn't give a frig about him being offended and really dug into the holes in his logic.

"Would you call it a humiliation.....?"  Pathetic reporting.    Would've loved MON to say "f**k off you w**k-bag, is that the best question you can come up with?"

It was a humiliation.

When you presided over shîte like that you best own it when you're called on it and not make excuses. If I went into work with that attitude when questioned about something that went wrong I and anyone else wouldn't last very long.

MON acted like a child in that interview. Grow the fûck up, lad. And I'm someone who accepts the general style of football we play.

Every man woman and dog up and down the country knew it was a humiliation so they didn't need wankbag Tony "look at me" asking the most stupid f**king question in sporting history.   Arsehole of the highest order.    O'Neill showed dignity and answered it well.  Being from Roscommon I'm sure you at least know you can do without smarthole  fuckwits rubbing your nose in it after a hammering?

Syferus

Quote from: StGallsGAA on November 14, 2017, 11:28:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 14, 2017, 11:02:55 PM

It was a humiliation.

When you presided over shîte like that you best own it when you're called on it and not make excuses. If I went into work with that attitude when questioned about something that went wrong I and anyone else wouldn't last very long.

MON acted like a child in that interview. Grow the fûck up, lad. And I'm someone who accepts the general style of football we play.

Every man woman and dog up and down the country knew it was a humiliation so they didn't need wankbag Tony "look at me" asking the most stupid f**king question in sporting history.   Arsehole of the highest order.    O'Neill showed dignity and answered it well.  Being from Roscommon I'm sure you at least know you can do without smarthole  fuckwits rubbing your nose in it after a hammering?

You did a good job digging your own grave in this debate.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2017, 11:22:00 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2017, 11:14:56 PM

Was it not working up until they scored 2 in 3 mins? Sloppy defending but of course that was MON's fault!

Seems most people would prefer a gun ho swashbuckling style of football!! Attack attack exciting! Well that's what happens when a limited team tries to win games! They get dicked, Martin is working with limited players, it's simple make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break..
It's very difficult to discuss or debate with you. Who asked for anything swashbuckling? This thread is full of comments like this. Barcelona get mentioned. Who ever said we should play like Barcelona?

To answer your question, if it is a serious question, it was never working; we were opened up before the goal. What exactly "it" was is what I was querying. What system were they sent out to play in the second half? Was Brady playing a defensive midfield role? If so, do you, or anyone, think that was a good move? Where was McClean supposed to be playing?

The irony is that I think he was too swashbuckling, as you put it, so did Hamann, Brady and Dunphy. Changes were needed for sure. But to empty the position that the opposition's danger man occupies makes no sense to me.

So instead of typing a general reply such as the one you did, why don't you address the questions I've asked? Or maybe you actually do believe that it's a case of "make yourself difficult to beat and score from a set piece or catch a team on the break.."?

BennyCake

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 14, 2017, 11:07:12 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2017, 10:54:16 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 14, 2017, 10:46:59 PM
Here sure we are all rugby mad anyway so who gives a f**k until Scotland beat us in the 6 nations and then we will all be mad golfers until Rory shanks his way round the majors too busy thinking about money, ulster rugby, Carl frampton or whatever else that seems to distract him. After that im just hoping the hockey or cricket crowd get their shit together lol

Speak for yourself, Johnny.

Ha Benny you need to get on the band wagon with the rest of the country when one lot suffer glorious failure then move to the next its a never ending cycle. Now some in 2018 may be interested in some fifa world cup but not me its all about lord Clifton Hugh Lancelot de verdon wrottesley winning the Skelton for ireland at the winter olympics just need to get him out of retirement first

The skeleton sounds more exciting than rugby. Although, an afternoon watching raindrops run down a window sounds more exciting than rugby.

Capt Pat

The thing I find inexplicable about tonights performance is the way Ireland went from a team that was difficult to beat to a team that paniced after going behind conceding the first goal. All we had to do was stay playing in the hard to beat style that got us results in Cardiff and Copenhagen. I think if Ward had kicked the ball away downfield or into the stand, we wouldn't have conceded the second goal and may well have won the tie. That didn't happen and we conceded the second. O'Neill exacerbated the problem at half time by taking off our two defensive midfielders giving Erikson the freedom of the park in the second half.

It ended 5-1 but it could have been different.

highorlow

I'm not a mad soccer fan as posters on here would guess. But as a sociable season ticket holder for 2 seasons I see this qualification as coming down to Seamus Coleman 's injury. I think we would have topped the group with Seamie.

The same thing happened my county in 12 with Andy. An AI was there with Andy.

Let's park things tonight and stop the bitching. Paddy will be back.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

tiempo

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 14, 2017, 11:23:46 PM
Denmark manager Hareide

"I was surprised really because I think they played in a diamond - the midfield - with two forwards, and our centre-halves can handle two forwards, but that gave a lot of space in centre midfield for Eriksen."

"Just to say, 'Thank you very much for giving us space', because they locked us down in Parken very well and Eriksen was very much out of the game  while today with the space given to him he was fantastic

If its any consolation I read that in a German accent.

BennyCake

Qualification hinged on late disallowed goal v Austria.

Capt Pat

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2017, 12:10:05 AM

The loss of Seamus Coleman was also a key turning point in the campaign.

ashman

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2017, 12:10:05 AM

Austria played ROI off the pitch that day .  The Walters goal could have been disallowed . ROI were very lucky over this campaign