Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

I hear the Pillar Caffery is interested and that a local man would be on for funding it!
LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

He'll be very good at getting lads to shout into opponents' faces..............

redsetanta

Quote from: Unlaoised on July 09, 2015, 03:38:47 PM
I hear the Pillar Caffery is interested and that a local man would be on for funding it!

I'm assuming that's tongue in cheek Unlaoised
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

OTF

Quote from: SCFC on July 08, 2015, 11:53:12 PM
Quote from: The Melancholy Sloth on July 08, 2015, 01:36:16 PM
I think Don has dug his own grave at this stage. A lot of posters on this forum seem to have a complete lack of decorum and there is a complete respect for the other posters and their opinions. At least on Laoistalk there was a moderator to filter out some of this stuff so the real issues at hand could be discussed.

The irony considering who Don used to be on Laoistalk!

Ha Ha that is very good.

I guessed it was Huey or himself and Huey has no sense of humour

Cruella De Vil

Not many internal candidates have done enough to suggest they deserve a shot, it's be a complete gamble.

Higgins, Clancy, Derek, have all done a bit, but little of note, Chris probably has the best CV of the 2003 bunch, and whilst it was mostly with college teams, is probably most deserving of a shot if its to be an internal appointment. I don't see how Tully could enter the equation, he was probably on the radar at some point 15 or so years ago, but i haven't seen much of him since.

Whilst Cheddar has done a great job with the hurlers, the job of Laois football manager has less room for error, a couple of good stuffings for ya as a football manager and you'll be given the door, that said TOF was not the answer. McNulty ran one of the best teams in the land fairly close in their own back yard, and all you'd hear was about the shit style he played.

If you could convince James Horan in some way to come, he'd be a good one, behind that sleepy exterior is a good football man!! ;)

OTF

Quote from: Windbreaker on July 08, 2015, 07:17:30 PM
"On the management issue, I don't think the problem is who we get as manager, it's more who we get as panel members. We need to find a way to get committed lads on board who are prepared to have a few lean years while management try to build some sort of system that will improve our skills and attitudes. "

would totally agree Junior,,, would Glen Ryan be a taught,,, did great stuff up in Longford highly rated up there,,

Familiar looking writing there WB !!

OTF

Quote from: Cruella De Vil on July 09, 2015, 05:03:53 PM
Not many internal candidates have done enough to suggest they deserve a shot, it's be a complete gamble.

Higgins, Clancy, Derek, have all done a bit, but little of note, Chris probably has the best CV of the 2003 bunch, and whilst it was mostly with college teams, is probably most deserving of a shot if its to be an internal appointment. I don't see how Tully could enter the equation, he was probably on the radar at some point 15 or so years ago, but i haven't seen much of him since.

Whilst Cheddar has done a great job with the hurlers, the job of Laois football manager has less room for error, a couple of good stuffings for ya as a football manager and you'll be given the door, that said TOF was not the answer. McNulty ran one of the best teams in the land fairly close in their own back yard, and all you'd hear was about the shit style he played.

If you could convince James Horan in some way to come, he'd be a good one, behind that sleepy exterior is a good football man!! ;)

I'd say there isn't a hope in hell, he already has a big job.
One of the merry go round managers might take it and that's the last thing we want.

Windbreaker

sorry OTF that,s whay i put them lads on your post,,,'" " " , not stealing your thundedr just agreeing with you,, sorry if any offence caused,,,  :-\

portlaoisekid

If I could pick my own choice of candidates I would definitely talk to Kevin McStay for the role, IMO he is exactly what we need, his teams play football in a way that would suit the Laois players at his disposal and he is known as an exceptional man manager and makes teams the greater than the sum of their parts.

In reality the next manager IMO will be Mick Lillis .

Unison

Quote from: portlaoisekid on July 10, 2015, 09:35:43 PM

On what grounds? What has he ever done?

Cruella De Vil

McStay would be a really good choice, he is a sickening b****x on the tele, but he has good management pedigree.
I don't see lillis getting it myself, think his chance has passed previous, unfortunately a journeyman is most likely, Midlands teams have a knack for appointing such brutes.

OTF

Quote from: Windbreaker on July 10, 2015, 05:49:24 PM
sorry OTF that,s whay i put them lads on your post,,,'" " " , not stealing your thundedr just agreeing with you,, sorry if any offence caused,,,  :-\

No offence take at all WB.

OTF

If I could pick my own choice of candidates I would definitely talk to Kevin McStay for the role, IMO he is exactly what we need, his teams play football in a way that would suit the Laois players at his disposal and he is known as an exceptional man manager and makes teams the greater than the sum of their parts.

I didn't think of McStay, ok correct me if I'm wrong he's retired and lives near Athlone, Liam McHale is part of that package  would they be interested that's the question.

With regard to Lillis is it just you guessing or have you heard something PK.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: OTF on July 10, 2015, 10:57:14 PM

I didn't think of McStay, ok correct me if I'm wrong he's retired and lives near Athlone, Liam McHale is part of that package  would they be interested that's the question.

With regard to Lillis is it just you guessing or have you heard something PK.
I havent heard alot but I was chatting to a person close to the CB and he knows  way more than I do and he said he would be surprised if the next manager wasnt MIck Lillis or Glen Ryan.

Unison

Quote from: portlaoisekid on July 10, 2015, 11:06:16 PMI havent heard alot but I was chatting to a person close to the CB and he knows  way more than I do and he said he would be surprised if the next manager wasnt MIck Lillis or Glen Ryan.

Two candidates from the journeyman merrygoround. They can take us to the next level all right.

Unfortunately there seems to be no ambition on the part of the CB.