Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Terrace

Quote from: Don Draper on Today at 12:17:29 PM

Quote from: Unison on Today at 11:42:50 AM

Quote from: Don Draper on Today at 10:57:42 AM

Quote from: From the Terrace on Today at 10:17:41 AM

Whoever takes this on has obviously a tough task, how we avoided the drop to div3 over the past couple of seasons is pure luck. An outside man is not the answer imo. The portlaoise issue is at the root to the problem in laois until that is sorted were going round in circles. This is why i would like to see some portlaoise men involved in the management team in some way. I know the argument is out there that portlaoise players don't want to be there & were better off with players who want to be there. I think we should try & entice these players back. It is after all an amateur sport ;D. It makes no sense over the past 4/5 season, We've seen 4/5 timahoe/stradbally players in county setup & 2/3 from portlaoise. No disrespect to those clubs or players.

Have some f**king manners you, how dare you belittle Clubs who put their players forward, or the players for having the balls to step forward. f**k you and your attitude, big man from behind your username having the gall to make little of men like Eoin Culliton, Damien O Connor, Pauric Clancy, Brendan Quigley, Paul Begley, Barney Maher, Colm Kelly and Tom Shiel. I'd love to see you say it to their f**king faces. You horrible little p***k. I'd take any of these men over the Portlaoise men you seem to think more of, ones who havent the stones to take on the challenge that winning a place on an intercounty team requires. f**k enticements, the jersey is all the enticement the lads in there need.

Calm down! Everybody's entitled to an opinion.

Thats not an opinion, its a swipe at good honest Laois men from behind an anonymous username, with a f**king throwaway "no disrespect to etc etc" thrown in at the end to give himself a get out. f**k him and his "enticements" too.

:D Taking swipes behind an anonymous username. I hope the irony is not lost on you.

Could not give a w**k what u call me, my point goes back to portlaoise players it is an opinion. you say pride in the jersey where was that second half against Kildare & Antrim & Leinster Championship 2013 1st round vs Louth all matches I paid money to go in & to see pride in jersey but there was none of that. Think we have better players in laois who will not come in to a half a***d laois setup, If we go & get a couple Laois men we have a good chance of getting a decent team out. Niall Tully, Chris Conway combination something to that effect I would be happy with it.

Timmy

I'm not that familiar with niall Tully, I know he's trained teams over the years alright. Would he have any experience inter county wise? Or what's the thinking behind wanting him?

Like I'm all for a laois man in charge, but it can't just be for the sake of having a laois man. Surely it has to be the best man for the job... or the best we can get!. The last time we had a clamour for a laois man we had an obvious candidate in Sean dempsey, but I'm struggling to even think of anyone now. I'm not sure it's time to be gambling on a rookie. 

From the Terrace

He was involved with portlaoise teams at the start of there dominance.. just always hear very good things about his training, not sure he can lead a setup just putting a name out there.. Would like to see us as good as we can be.

The Monument Road

Quote from: From the Terrace on July 04, 2015, 10:17:41 AM
Whoever takes this on has obviously a tough task, how we avoided the drop to div3 over the past couple of seasons is pure luck. An outside man is not the answer imo. The portlaoise issue is at the root to the problem in laois until that is sorted were going round in circles. This is why i would like to see some portlaoise men involved in the management team in some way. I know the argument is out there that portlaoise players don't want to be there & were better off with players who want to be there. I think we should try & entice these players back. It is after all an amateur sport ;D. It makes no sense over the past 4/5 season, We've seen 4/5 timahoe/stradbally players in county setup & 2/3 from portlaoise. No disrespect to those clubs or players.
I'd love to know who these Portlaoise players are who would make a difference to laois football. Cahalane is not interested no matter who is involved..He is committed to soccer in his spare time, Lilis is not good enough,Healey is only interested in Hurling and commutes from the UK....Glynn lives in the UK. Brody and Boyle are available...Maybe Cotter but he seems to be injury prone and cannot train at the level required...Rodgers is committed Pundit,,,Bruno is tied up with work schedules and is too old anyway. Rickey Maher is playing well in the local leagues...Not too many more is there....From The Terrace,Maybe you could add a few i missed

Don Draper

Quote from: Teo Lurley on July 04, 2015, 04:02:23 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 04, 2015, 12:17:29 PM
Quote from: Unison on July 04, 2015, 11:42:50 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 04, 2015, 10:57:42 AM
Quote from: From the Terrace on July 04, 2015, 10:17:41 AM

Have some f**king manners you, how dare you belittle Clubs who put their players forward, or the players for having the balls to step forward. f**k you and your attitude, big man from behind your username having the gall to make little of men like Eoin Culliton, Damien O Connor, Pauric Clancy, Brendan Quigley, Paul Begley, Barney Maher, Colm Kelly and Tom Shiel. I'd love to see you say it to their f**king faces. You horrible little p***k. I'd take any of these men over the Portlaoise men you seem to think more of, ones who havent the stones to take on the challenge that winning a place on an intercounty team requires. f**k enticements, the jersey is all the enticement the lads in there need.

Calm down! Everybody's entitled to an opinion.
Thats not an opinion, its a swipe at good honest Laois men from behind an anonymous username, with a f**king throwaway "no disrespect to etc etc" thrown in at the end to give himself a get out. f**k him and his "enticements" too.

:D Taking swipes behind an anonymous username. I hope the irony is not lost on you.
He can have a cut at me all he likes, having a cut at the those he did disgusts me. I couldnt be arsed replying to his post because he's made some a shite of the quote function, but this goes for him too.

Oh and Niall Tully isn't a Laois man.

Joeythelips

Niall Tully is a coach and has a good reputation in the county, plenty of the laois minors who wont all irelands in the 90s would have been trained by him at school level (he was a teacher in Ballyfin) and players speak very highly of him Don is right he is not from Laois, he a meath man.

Antrims hammering today really underlines TOF's reign as a failure.

Don Draper

Antrim were always going to be beaten, they are f**king scutter, even by their own fans admission. Our defeat was the best thing that could have happened because we got rid of TOF and can have a serious look at our problems instead of struggling through a soft as shit side of a qualifier draw. I thank Antrim for beating us.

Not sure what Tully has done lately that people still rate him so highly, the mid 90s were 20 years ago.

From the Terrace

Tully knows the clubscene in laois, He knows the players & knows laois football. I am not saying he is the man but would like to see a man with a good reputation like him involved. Brian Mulligan, Dean Cullen, there is more on there panel should be looked think if we got the right management team in there cahir healy could return to panel in the future, Also think there a few more good footballers the around county James Moore & Gary Walsh, Anyone hear of names in frame for this? 

Don Draper

Quote from: From the Terrace on July 06, 2015, 05:19:35 PM
Tully knows the clubscene in laois, He knows the players & knows laois football. I am not saying he is the man but would like to see a man with a good reputation like him involved. Brian Mulligan, Dean Cullen, there is more on there panel should be looked think if we got the right management team in there cahir healy could return to panel in the future, Also think there a few more good footballers the around county James Moore & Gary Walsh, Anyone hear of names in frame for this?
Brian Mulligan? Ah here, I like Brian, but even he wouldn't claim to be an answer at this stage.

I still don't see what Tully brings at this point, maybe someone could enlighten me.

Teo Lurley

No offence to the man but Tully shouldn't be even close to getting this job.

Are we giving up and saying any ouwl local man will do? We need someone to raise us again, we've slipped a long way back. If that man isn't in the county then we have to look further afield and hope we have the finance for it.

From the Terrace

Not here to pick a laois senior football panel. Any whispers on candidates??

Don Draper

Quote from: From the Terrace on July 07, 2015, 11:43:22 PM
Not here to pick a laois senior football panel. Any whispers on candidates??
Very little yet, committees being formed, questions being asked. I also heard a rumour there was an online push for Niall Tully to get the job, please f**k that doesn't happen.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

QuoteVery little yet, committees being formed, questions being asked. I also heard a rumour there was an online push for Niall Tully to get the job, please f**k that doesn't happen.

Not trying to be a Holy Joe or anything Don, but could you please cut out the expletives in your replies. Almost every reply you post have them and to be honest does nothing for the good points you are trying to make, in fact it makes you sound like a delinquent schoolboy.
There is no need for it and I think you would be taken far more seriously if you cut it out as you are a good poster and contribute some very valid points to this forum.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The Melancholy Sloth

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 08, 2015, 12:27:44 PM
QuoteVery little yet, committees being formed, questions being asked. I also heard a rumour there was an online push for Niall Tully to get the job, please f**k that doesn't happen.

Not trying to be a Holy Joe or anything Don, but could you please cut out the expletives in your replies. Almost every reply you post have them and to be honest does nothing for the good points you are trying to make, in fact it makes you sound like a delinquent schoolboy.
There is no need for it and I think you would be taken far more seriously if you cut it out as you are a good poster and contribute some very valid points to this forum.

I think Don has dug his own grave at this stage. A lot of posters on this forum seem to have a complete lack of decorum and there is a complete respect for the other posters and their opinions. At least on Laoistalk there was a moderator to filter out some of this stuff so the real issues at hand could be discussed.

As for the management issue, I cant see any movement until we are well into the Club Championship. But the word is the CB is going to look local. Niall Tully has been mentioned a good bit on this forum for some reason, AFAIK he has no first hand management experience with a senior team? He has been a number two for Tommy Conroy and he trained a school team. No disrespect but there are better placed candidates within the county for the top job. Not ruling him out as a selector/trainer if he does have something to offer but I think we should be going for someone who has at least won county titles at club level.

Donnellys Hollow

Dessie Brennan would be a good appointment for Laois. Fine management record at club level, popular with players and a passionate Laoisman.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?