Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unison

Windbreaker

Would be a great appointment if possible,, but I would like to see him ina dual-manager setup,, with one of the lads from the minor- glory years who are currently involved in football,, I think it would be very exciting,,,

OTF

Quote from: Windbreaker on July 03, 2015, 09:55:23 AM
Would be a great appointment if possible,, but I would like to see him ina dual-manager setup,, with one of the lads from the minor- glory years who are currently involved in football,, I think it would be very exciting,,,

I can't see any reason why he'd leave possibly the greatest team in the history of the GAA to come to Laois.
If Cody finishes up or fires him maybe but I'd say there would be plenty of more attractive offers on the table, once bitten twice shy and all that.

Pad

Without a doubt we need an inside man with a bit of passion for the county colours. We need to start off again similar to the hurling setup when Cheddar took over. I think Niall Tully would be a very passionate man to be involved some way or other.

Don Draper

What has Tully shown to prove he deserves the job? f**k all.

The money was there for Justin. The money will be there for another recognised coach. I'd call James Horan.

maigheo

Sorry to butt in here but I would say the chances of James Horan considering any other job other than the M ayo job are  slim and none .Laois have a lot of good footballers ,especially down the middle of their team and any decent manager should relish taking over that team and taking them to the next level ,but who that is to be I do not know

The Monument Road

Getting a decent manager is going to be a difficult one. First of all money will be an issue. I dont think our finances are in a good state right now and will be untill we get more game money from a refurbished O Moore Park. Also the revenue from all county ticket draw is diminishing year on year. Revenues from croke Park are also diminishing due to our lack of success. Secondly the new manager will also look at the age profile of the present team, Quite a few are 30 or over, Quigley.Begley,Timmons,Strong,Ross,Donoher,Billy,(McMahon,O Leary if they return). We will have to replace these players shortly so whoever comes in is in for a big transition period with the prospect of very little success.

Don Draper

Quote from: maigheo on July 04, 2015, 03:21:12 AM
Sorry to butt in here but I would say the chances of James Horan considering any other job other than the M ayo job are  slim and none .Laois have a lot of good footballers ,especially down the middle of their team and any decent manager should relish taking over that team and taking them to the next level ,but who that is to be I do not know
Thanks Mrs Horan. Let us know if James can come out to play another time in the future.

Don Draper

Quote from: The Monument Road on July 04, 2015, 07:15:41 AM
Getting a decent manager is going to be a difficult one. First of all money will be an issue. I dont think our finances are in a good state right now and will be untill we get more game money from a refurbished O Moore Park. Also the revenue from all county ticket draw is diminishing year on year. Revenues from croke Park are also diminishing due to our lack of success. Secondly the new manager will also look at the age profile of the present team, Quite a few are 30 or over, Quigley.Begley,Timmons,Strong,Ross,Donoher,Billy,(McMahon,O Leary if they return). We will have to replace these players shortly so whoever comes in is in for a big transition period with the prospect of very little success.
Our finances are holding fine, but thats not where the money for a new manager will come from anyway, and we all know that. The money will come from up the M7 if we ask nicely, and have a manager worthy of the name. Get the right man, and then put it to the money men.

From the Terrace

Whoever takes this on has obviously a tough task, how we avoided the drop to div3 over the past couple of seasons is pure luck. An outside man is not the answer imo. The portlaoise issue is at the root to the problem in laois until that is sorted were going round in circles. This is why i would like to see some portlaoise men involved in the management team in some way. I know the argument is out there that portlaoise players don't want to be there & were better off with players who want to be there. I think we should try & entice these players back. It is after all an amateur sport ;D. It makes no sense over the past 4/5 season, We've seen 4/5 timahoe/stradbally players in county setup & 2/3 from portlaoise. No disrespect to those clubs or players.

Don Draper

Quote from: From the Terrace on July 04, 2015, 10:17:41 AM
Whoever takes this on has obviously a tough task, how we avoided the drop to div3 over the past couple of seasons is pure luck. An outside man is not the answer imo. The portlaoise issue is at the root to the problem in laois until that is sorted were going round in circles. This is why i would like to see some portlaoise men involved in the management team in some way. I know the argument is out there that portlaoise players don't want to be there & were better off with players who want to be there. I think we should try & entice these players back. It is after all an amateur sport ;D. It makes no sense over the past 4/5 season, We've seen 4/5 timahoe/stradbally players in county setup & 2/3 from portlaoise. No disrespect to those clubs or players.

Have some f**king manners you, how dare you belittle Clubs who put their players forward, or the players for having the balls to step forward. f**k you and your attitude, big man from behind your username having the gall to make little of men like Eoin Culliton, Damien O Connor, Pauric Clancy, Brendan Quigley, Paul Begley, Barney Maher, Colm Kelly and Tom Shiel. I'd love to see you say it to their f**king faces. You horrible little p***k. I'd take any of these men over the Portlaoise men you seem to think more of, ones who havent the stones to take on the challenge that winning a place on an intercounty team requires. f**k enticements, the jersey is all the enticement the lads in there need.

Unison

Quote from: Don Draper on July 04, 2015, 10:57:42 AM

Have some f**king manners you, how dare you belittle Clubs who put their players forward, or the players for having the balls to step forward. f**k you and your attitude, big man from behind your username having the gall to make little of men like Eoin Culliton, Damien O Connor, Pauric Clancy, Brendan Quigley, Paul Begley, Barney Maher, Colm Kelly and Tom Shiel. I'd love to see you say it to their f**king faces. You horrible little p***k. I'd take any of these men over the Portlaoise men you seem to think more of, ones who havent the stones to take on the challenge that winning a place on an intercounty team requires. f**k enticements, the jersey is all the enticement the lads in there need.

Calm down! Everybody's entitled to an opinion.

Don Draper

Quote from: Unison on July 04, 2015, 11:42:50 AM

Thats not an opinion, its a swipe at good honest Laois men from behind an anonymous username, with a f**king throwaway "no disrespect to etc etc" thrown in at the end to give himself a get out. f**k him and his "enticements" too.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Don Draper on July 04, 2015, 12:17:29 PM
Quote from: Unison on July 04, 2015, 11:42:50 AM

Thats not an opinion, its a swipe at good honest Laois men from behind an anonymous username, with a f**king throwaway "no disrespect to etc etc" thrown in at the end to give himself a get out. f**k him and his "enticements" too.

:D Taking swipes behind an anonymous username. I hope the irony is not lost on you.

The Melancholy Sloth

Quote from: Don Draper on July 04, 2015, 02:10:32 AM
What has Tully shown to prove he deserves the job? f**k all.

The money was there for Justin. The money will be there for another recognised coach. I'd call James Horan.

The money for McNulty came from a certain Nite Club owner in Dublin apparently, it wasnt directly out of the CB coffers. I doubt we will be able to rely on a benefactor again.

I get the feeling we are going to appoint an internal candidate which are few and far between.
Tommy Conroy was mentioned but given his work commitments I cant see him being able.
Pat Roe at least has inter county experience but didnt do a good job at Offaly (but not many have).
Mick Lillis was been involved with the minors but has a lot of detractors within the county.
Joe Higgins has yet to win anything at club lever bar a league and a kelly cup and was essentially ran out of Graigue.
Chris Conway similarly has no managerial experience at inter county level and suggestions that he would work along side Higgins are laughable.
Mark Kavanagh is currently involved with the Westmeath management team so depending on how well they finish this year I cant imagine him leaving them if they are on an upward curve. Especially after being overlooked for Sean Dempsey.
Mick Dempsey - if you think he is going to leave Kilkenny for the pure hardship of Laois football you have a screw loose.

So all in all the field is slim and short on quality. If I was a betting man I would imagine that the CB will appoint a management team heavily based around the 2003 winning squad.