Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

We have to get real here, we're not going to get any top manager in at this point .
Any manager doing a small bit of research at all will discover that the back bone of that squad will all be over thirty next year and there's very little coming through despite the optimistic posts above.

I think we'll struggle to get a manager even from within.

Someone above said our underage system need a bet of help. That's understatement if ever I saw one.
It's an absolute f*****g discrace  the way our underage system has being neglected.
Are Longford in the Leinster minor final ???

Don Draper

Were our Minors and U21's not competitive this year? Things have been far worse, thats for sure.

OTF

Quote from: Don Draper on June 29, 2015, 02:14:23 PM
Were our Minors and U21's not competitive this year? Things have been far worse, thats for sure.

Ok you could argue that we were competitive  this year, it's a long way from where we were and the numbers presenting themselves for squads are very disappointing if I'm not mistaking.

Giovanni

Quote from: Don Draper on June 29, 2015, 01:45:51 PM
Quote from: Giovanni on June 27, 2015, 07:49:17 PM
If we were to go local, I think I'd go for Chris Conway. I always thought he might have the makings of a good manager.

Outside of the county, I'd go for one Martin McHugh (did a great job in Cavan and still doing it with Sligo IT), McStay, Gilroy. I don't know if I'd risk an inexperienced manager from outside the county to be honest.
Ah FFS McHugh is a bluffer of the highest order, his day is done.

Bluffer............????!!!

I know that his work in Cavan in extremely well regarded (he won the Ulster title with them after a gap of 30 years or something) and he was offered the Donegal job before Jim McGuinness got it so that's at least 2 serious counties that don't think he's a bluffer. He's also got Sligo IT punching above their weight in the Sigerson. And your suggestion is Sean and Mick Dempsey, right?

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on June 29, 2015, 03:20:15 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 29, 2015, 01:45:51 PM
Quote from: Giovanni on June 27, 2015, 07:49:17 PM
If we were to go local, I think I'd go for Chris Conway. I always thought he might have the makings of a good manager.

Outside of the county, I'd go for one Martin McHugh (did a great job in Cavan and still doing it with Sligo IT), McStay, Gilroy. I don't know if I'd risk an inexperienced manager from outside the county to be honest.
Ah FFS McHugh is a bluffer of the highest order, his day is done.

Bluffer............????!!!

I know that his work in Cavan in extremely well regarded (he won the Ulster title with them after a gap of 30 years or something) and he was offered the Donegal job before Jim McGuinness got it so that's at least 2 serious counties that don't think he's a bluffer. He's also got Sligo IT punching above their weight in the Sigerson. And your suggestion is Sean and Mick Dempsey, right?
How many years ago was McHugh in Cavan? Donegal dodged a hell of a bullet, imagine if they hadn't gotten McGuinness?! Sligo IT punching above their weight?!! Look at the players and counties they're drawing from, Mayo, Galway, Sligo, Donegal, to name just 4!

And point out where I suggested Sean and Mick?

High Fielder

A new coach is way down the list of priorities. We are approaching the month of July and club football is the usual part time pursuit it always is at this time of the year in Laois. Games being conceded all over the place because they are meaningless. If we don't expect teams to play games, and we allow this mentality to prevail, we can hardly complain when our players look flakey under pressure. The senior panel obviously put in the effort, but mentally they are weak, and have been for quite some time. I don't for a minute believe that we don't have the potential to be at least equal with Kildare or Westmeath, but we treat football like a hobby in this county, and we get a kicking most years now because of it. The County Board have lost control. I have seen events in recent months that would warrant serious Garda intervention, but somehow seem allowable on the field of play on Laois. We're getting what we ask for and the pity is that it shows no sign of changing.

beano

High Fielder: We can blame the county board on alot of things but not because of  no championship in mid July. Any county board across the county cant fix games in July due to the qualifiers. Instead we have league games which by their name are games!! Most clubs don't want championship in July or August as many of their younger players are in America or the older guys with families are on hols. Even if the county board fixed championship for July it still wont stop people going on J1s. In fact I think the structure of the championship is one of the best in the country.

As for the "meaningless league games" its up to the clubs to change this attitude- Maybe a sanction of conceding two games gets you kicked out of championship. Its about time clubs in this county got their house in order. I live outside laois and the clubs around me have the same problem as those in Laois however they seem to just get on with it.

Joeythelips

Martin Mchugh?? He managed Cavan to ulster title in 1997, thats a world away from the level needed to compete in todays game to be fair. He turned down his own county also so would hardly take up a county like ourselves anyway. Also with regards to the underage setup, being successful is not what it is all about, as Dapper Dan said being competitive is whats important, each year a minor team should produce 2/3 players good enough to be top senior level players.

If they win trophies at underage level fine but not the end of the world, Ross Munnelly was hardly on successful underage teams yet he is one of the best senior players we ever produced. Also look at the Westmeath team that took Meath apart in the second half at the weekend, they have hardly being uprooting trees at underage recently yet they had plenty of youthful talent on the pitch who were well coached and unlike Laois this year did not fall apart when all looked lost. I think our panel (even without absentees this year) is every bit as good if not better than Westmeaths yet they are on a high looking forward to a Leinster final while we must enjoy our armchairs and high stools for the rest of the summer

OTF

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 30, 2015, 11:20:32 AM
Martin Mchugh?? He managed Cavan to ulster title in 1997, thats a world away from the level needed to compete in todays game to be fair. He turned down his own county also so would hardly take up a county like ourselves anyway. Also with regards to the underage setup, being successful is not what it is all about, as Dapper Dan said being competitive is whats important, each year a minor team should produce 2/3 players good enough to be top senior level players.

If they win trophies at underage level fine but not the end of the world, Ross Munnelly was hardly on successful underage teams yet he is one of the best senior players we ever produced. Also look at the Westmeath team that took Meath apart in the second half at the weekend, they have hardly being uprooting trees at underage recently yet they had plenty of youthful talent on the pitch who were well coached and unlike Laois this year did not fall apart when all looked lost. I think our panel (even without absentees this year) is every bit as good if not better than Westmeaths yet they are on a high looking forward to a Leinster final while we must enjoy our armchairs and high stools for the rest of the summer

Wouldn't agree with you there Joey re the underage,we know we can win at underage because we have done it.
The likelihood is we won't do it at senior level because we don't have the resources (finance,jobs to keep 30 odd players local ) even if we had the players.
So why not concentrate on underage indefinitely and see where that takes us.

High Fielder

Quote from: beano on June 30, 2015, 10:06:25 AM
High Fielder: We can blame the county board on alot of things but not because of  no championship in mid July. Any county board across the county cant fix games in July due to the qualifiers. Instead we have league games which by their name are games!! Most clubs don't want championship in July or August as many of their younger players are in America or the older guys with families are on hols. Even if the county board fixed championship for July it still wont stop people going on J1s. In fact I think the structure of the championship is one of the best in the country.

As for the "meaningless league games" its up to the clubs to change this attitude- Maybe a sanction of conceding two games gets you kicked out of championship. Its about time clubs in this county got their house in order. I live outside laois and the clubs around me have the same problem as those in Laois however they seem to just get on with it.

I didn't ask for Championship football in July. I don't know where you plucked that one from. At least one and probably two rounds of the Championship should be played already, perhaps in April or May. It would get lads thinking properly, earlier, about football. I don't know who we think we are that we can swan around until July before putting in a proper effort. The results at county level don't back up the structures as they exist right now, and besides, more than half the clubs in Senior only exist to stay out of Intermediate. A right breeding ground for mediocrity if you ask me, and sure enough, that's what we are; mediocre.

The above said, I like your idea about throwing clubs out of the Championship and/or relegating/regrading them if they don't field teams. The recent situation is pathetic and along with discipline, ranks as two serious areas that need to be addressed. Laois football has turned into a spiteful arena with little or no intervention from referees or the county board. I reiterate what I said in my first post. Some of the stuff that goes on should be under the noses of the Gardaí, yet as far as I know, hasn't even been investigated by the County Board. If our top men have such little respect for football and players in the county, then I'm afraid we are looking down the barrel.

Unison

Good man High Fielder, Huey will never be dead as long as you are around.

portlaoisekid

I would usually get excited about a turnaround in fortunes in Laois senior football when we begin the hunt for a new  manager after
the poor reign of a previous manager but no point this time from what many people around the county are saying about the upcoming appointment.

Apparently there is very little money to attract a manager, not a that a feel throwing money at a mgr is the answer but if we were to get interest from a man who can unite the county and make the most of what we have we dont have the cash to meet his demand in terms of himself ,his mgt team and funding for a truly top class professional set up.

CruiseCigar

Quote from: OTF on June 30, 2015, 12:27:16 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on June 30, 2015, 11:20:32 AM

Wouldn't agree with you there Joey re the underage,we know we can win at underage because we have done it.
The likelihood is we won't do it at senior level because we don't have the resources (finance,jobs to keep 30 odd players local ) even if we had the players.
So why not concentrate on underage indefinitely and see where that takes us.

Interesting thought there OTF
Laoise abú

From the Terrace

The minor result the weekend doesn't put our minor team far off the mark in leinster, Think Derek Conroy has done done a decent job with our 21s too this year would like to see both there next year with mick lillis over minors anyone know if thats happening? On the senior side of it would like to see niall tully involved if interested we need men that know our players imo.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi