Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Estimator

Watched the first half back this morning
and it hasn't really changed my mind from standing in the Brandywell Terrace yesterday evening.

Derry owned the ball at the start of the game and should have opened up a bigger gap on the scoreboard before Donegal got off the mark.

The shots dropped short especially playing with the wind in the first half were poor.

Even before the goal Lynch was caught twice out the field, once Rogers intercepted the through ball and another when McGrogan wasn't focused on getting the pass from Lynch and Donegal got a point at the other end.

Could have done with someone else other than McKaigue getting on the end of that goal opportunity.

Ref had a decent half, didnt fall for feigning injury from the hit my McGuigan. No real difficult calls to make.. But was he right about the protocol on the injury to Patton??

Not sure if I can stomach the second half yet. Might have to leave that for a while.
Ulster League Champions 2009

onefineday

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 21, 2024, 12:23:26 PM
Quote from: square_ball on April 21, 2024, 10:13:57 AM
Quote from: Tones on April 21, 2024, 09:05:57 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 21, 2024, 02:51:30 AMOn another matter, there seems to be, a few new posters on here past few weeks. On the messages, I get the impression they been on here before or jumping between a few names.

On the matter at hand watching the goals again, first was terrible, second Lynch actually scored it, it was going wide, forth lying in a heap in midfield embarrassing stuff.

The 2nd wasn't going wide but he made a balls of it. Should have kept it out.

The thing that stood about thise goals was him seemingly jogging back.  Surely he should be anticipating these scenarios and be busting his balls to get back.
He's always done that, it's always been a source of great annoyance amongst us! Maybe the thinking is that busting a guy to get back will mean he's unable to make a save anyway?
I'd agree with whoever said he was targeted for the last kick out - he's been covering space and rarely targeted, there's a reason why he's not midfield for the county, makes sense to target him, you'd wonder why it took Jimmy coming back to think of it!
Well done again to Donegal and Jim, excellent result for them and a tactical masterclass. Let's hope that our sluggishness was related to training or something and we'll get a prime draw with Kerry up in Celtic park in 6 weeks time - that'll tell us where we are!!

AustinPowers

Quote from: Estimator on April 21, 2024, 01:11:48 PMWatched the first half back this morning
and it hasn't really changed my mind from standing in the Brandywell Terrace yesterday evening.

Derry owned the ball at the start of the game and should have opened up a bigger gap on the scoreboard before Donegal got off the mark.

The shots dropped short especially playing with the wind in the first half were poor.

Even before the goal Lynch was caught twice out the field, once Rogers intercepted the through ball and another when McGrogan wasn't focused on getting the pass from Lynch and Donegal got a point at the other end.

Could have done with someone else other than McKaigue getting on the end of that goal opportunity.

Ref had a decent half, didnt fall for feigning injury from the hit my McGuigan. No real difficult calls to make.. But was he right about the protocol on the injury to Patton??

Not sure if I can stomach the second half yet. Might have to leave that for a while.

I didn't see  this. What happened?

Brendan

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 21, 2024, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: Estimator on April 21, 2024, 01:11:48 PMWatched the first half back this morning

I didn't see  this. What happened?

Under the new rule he was 100% Patton went down, appeared to be feigning at after a Derry point, physio messed about coming on to see him so he was sent around the pitch back to the middle to wait for the referees call to come back on

RedHand88

Once patton realised he'd effed up by faking an injury he sprinted at top speed over to the dug out so he could come back on  ;D  ;D  ;D

the goal was on

That's a good few tanking Mickey and Devlin have took . Louth were pumped twice last year , all be in against good teams but they were very naive in there approach . Siege mentality has always been Mickey's trump car and I guess he'll get that now this week.

AustinPowers

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 21, 2024, 02:11:19 PMOnce patton realised he'd effed up by faking an injury he sprinted at top speed over to the dug out so he could come back on  ;D  ;D  ;D

So were Donegal  without  a keeper while play continued?

Nanderson

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 21, 2024, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 21, 2024, 02:11:19 PMOnce patton realised he'd effed up by faking an injury he sprinted at top speed over to the dug out so he could come back on  ;D  ;D  ;D

So were Donegal  without  a keeper while play continued?
yea for about a minute and a half

JoG2

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 20, 2024, 11:59:45 PMDerry were not serious All Ireland contenders ffs. They are at a level below Kerry/Dublin, same as Armagh/Mayo/Galway/Tyrone/Donegal.

A few facts:
They beat Clare and Cork to get to AISFs the last 2 years.
Kerry played sh1te against them last year and still bate them.
They won the league final against Dublin reserves and believed the hype.

I also really think the new structure hurts teams in Derrys position. 4(?) weeks of no championship football before potentially playing Dublin or Kerry.

My prediction: they'll get through the group by beating the guff but will go out at the quarter final stage to a bigger team. Questions will remain over Harte but he will get to stay and we will see the same next year, only a bit worse.

;D golden! Taking time to work out how Derry can't possibly succeed. Surely they can't? Can they? Nah

On the game, the appetite those Donegal players had yesterday was incredible. McGuinness is obviously a very shroud operator tactics wise etc, but it's his man management that is a level above most. Those players gave it absolutely everything. Donegal had a handful of stand out players, but Ryan McHugh is something else. What a smart player, knows when to hold them, knows when to show them...only Ethan from our side got anywhere near that level of performance.
I've been around long enough to not get overly excited about a Derry win or loss. The last couple of years, those players have given us some amazing days out. Defeats are inevitable, it happens. 12 points from the 4 goals was an insurmountable challenge for any team, never mind a team that just, for whatever reason didn't click. A well earned rest now and a bit of soul searching as always happens in a defeat. Kinda getting used to Croke Pk, hopefully we're back again this year.

SouthDublinBro

That's the end of that Derry team. Too one dimensional.

Harold Disgracey

screenexile

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on April 21, 2024, 04:04:59 PMThat's the end of that Derry team. Too one dimensional.

Jesus 🤦🏼�♂️

JoG2

clarshack

McCurry's accuracy from very scoreable frees has been worrying this season.

square_ball

Is Philly McMahon being paid by the word in co-comms?