The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Quote from: Estimator on January 20, 2020, 12:29:50 PM

When you look at the Top 4 teams in the 6Nations since its inception, their records are all very similar to one another:

Wales have won 5 C'ships, 4 Grand Slams and 4 Triple Crowns
France have won 5 C'ships and 3 Grand Slams
England have won 6 C'ships, 2 Grand Slams, 4 Triple Crowns, and 9 Millennium Trophies.
Ireland have won 4 C'ships, 2 Grand Slams, 5 Triple Crowns, and 11 Millennium Trophies

Had a look at the second place finishes as well in the 6 Nations. For the record its –
Wales – 2
France – 3
England – 8
Ireland – 7

Some of those 2nd place finishes have been on score difference from the C'ship winners (England and Ireland have 3 each)
Some are on score difference from 3rd and below (England 3, France 2, Ireland 1)

England and Ireland have clearly been the most consistent performers, but I'm sure both nations would swap their respective 6 Nation records for what the Welsh have done over the last 20 years.

Also I see McCloskey has received a belated call up.
Ulster League Champions 2009

screenexile

Finn Russell bucked out of the Scotland squad.

Scotland will struggle in Dublin!

GetOverTheBar

Massive stroke of luck for Ireland and Farrell. Looks like he's out indefinitely.

screenexile

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 23, 2020, 01:39:08 PM
Massive stroke of luck for Ireland and Farrell. Looks like he's out indefinitely.

Is it really??

We still have a decent team and the lads are all fairly confident after good European performances I'd have fancied us to easily turnover Scotland with Russell playing anyway!

Tony Baloney

Russell is their best player so it must have been some infringement to get sent back to Paris.

Capt Pat

He wouldn't or couldn't stop drinking in the team hotel on sunday night. Later in the week he returned to France which was his own decision.

Tony Baloney

Silly lad. He'll have known the repercussions although it's clear he and the SRU don't see eye to eye after the falling out with his Da. Foolish.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on January 23, 2020, 04:27:50 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 23, 2020, 01:39:08 PM

Is it really??

We still have a decent team and the lads are all fairly confident after good European performances I'd have fancied us to easily turnover Scotland with Russell playing anyway!

Yeah agreed, but if anyone had the ability on the Scottish team to cause bother, it was him.

johnnycool

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 23, 2020, 08:12:16 PM
He wouldn't or couldn't stop drinking in the team hotel on sunday night. Later in the week he returned to France which was his own decision.

Monetarily he's probably better off staying with Racing as I'm sure they're paying much more than whatever supplements the SRU are giving him.

Hound

Quote from: johnnycool on January 24, 2020, 01:55:41 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on January 23, 2020, 08:12:16 PM

Monetarily he's probably better off staying with Racing as I'm sure they're paying much more than whatever supplements the SRU are giving him.
Clubs don't dock you wages for being called up for international team!

He was terrible v us in the World Cup, but he has been in very good form this season, so a definite big loss. Big chance for young Hastings now.

Estimator

Teams for the match on Saturday:

Ireland: J Larmour; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Herring, T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; CJ Stander, J van der Flier, C Doris.

Replacements: R Kelleher, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, D Toner, P O'Mahony, J Cooney, R Byrne, R Henshaw.

Scotland:[Hogg, capt (Exeter Chiefs); Maitland (Saracens), Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Johnson (Glasgow Warriors), Kinghorn (Edinburgh); Hastings (Glasgow Warriors), Price (Glasgow Warriors); Sutherland (Edinburgh), Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Z Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors); Cummings (Glasgow Warriors), J Gray (Glasgow Warriors); J Ritchie (Edinburgh), Watson (Edinburgh), Haining (Edinburgh).

Replacements: McInally (Edinburgh), Dell (London Irish), Berghan (Edinburgh), Toolis (Edinburgh), Du Preez (Worcester Warriors), G Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Hutchinson (Northampton Saints), Harris (Gloucester).
Ulster League Champions 2009

Capt Pat

Lucky to get the win there today. Hogg should have scored that try.

Tony Baloney

Few lads anonymous today - Stockdale, Healy despite his 3 starts. Murray sure to be benched for Wales.

Milltown Row2

At home against a team ranked as bad as Italy that's as poor a performance you'll get. I don't know where to start with how Ireland performed. Scotland will wonder how they didn't get a win
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea