de Páirc

Started by qwerty123, July 10, 2014, 10:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

A great article at the weekend in the Irish Times about Páirc Uí Chaoimh:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/de-park-cork-s-oval-shaped-coliseum-on-the-banks-of-the-lee-1.1855941

I'm just wondering which stand would be the best to watch the match at on Sunday?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: qwerty123 on July 10, 2014, 10:50:27 PM
A great article at the weekend in the Irish Times about Páirc Uí Chaoimh:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/de-park-cork-s-oval-shaped-coliseum-on-the-banks-of-the-lee-1.1855941

I'm just wondering which stand would be the best to watch the match at on Sunday?

If you are over 5'7 and don't want to have cramps for 2 days I recommend the terrace.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

qwerty123

Haha! I'm over 5'7" and don't mind the cramping - I'm talking purely from an atmosphere and banter point of view! :)

Zulu

You'll mind by the end of the game!! The last time I was there I was in the uncovered stand and it was impossible to enjoy the game. I'd say the covered stand would be better but it's a very good ground for atmosphere and it should be very good this Sunday.

qwerty123

I've one for the covered stand alright, but I was wondering whether the City End or the Blackrock End would be better for the atmosphere, sometimes stands can be that bit more quiet!

Zulu

No, I'd say you'll be fine. The terraces in Cork are actually good, though it's been a long time since I was in there myself, but you'll have a good view of the pitch from the terraces.

macdanger2

Quote from: Zulu on July 10, 2014, 11:41:23 PM
You'll mind by the end of the game!! The last time I was there I was in the uncovered stand and it was impossible to enjoy the game. I'd say the covered stand would be better but it's a very good ground for atmosphere and it should be very good this Sunday.

Was there last Sunday and had the same experience!! :(

manfromdelmonte

i've never been to de Páirc

wonder would there be any tickets floating round for Sunday

Zulu

I wouldn't think so, this will be a sell out.

AZOffaly

Queues of people at Chawkes in Castletroy yesterday morning, all togged out in their Limerick jersies, waiting for the late release of the tickets. Then the system went down. Glad I was only getting Diesel, I'd say the lads were annoyed they got dressed up for nothing.

johnneycool

The seats in the uncovered stand are tight enough, but the view was spot on and I was a half dozen rows from the back.

On a sunny days its a good enough spot to enjoy a game.

Lone Shark

I've only been there a handful of times, and the view is always excellent by by God those seats are painful, and I'm barely six feet. God help someone who's actually tall trying to fit in there.

As an aside, it seems daft to me that so much money is being spent on making it into a high capacity stadium, when Munster simply doesn't need it. Not including PUC, there are five stadia in Ireland with a capacity of 42,000 or more and I presume it'll be six when Casement Park is completed. One each in Leinster, Connacht and Ulster, and three in Munster - so where are we putting the next one? Down in Cork, which is hardly ever suitable for neutral games and really will only be required for those years where Cork have a home football game against Kerry (and even then, a 25k capacity would do the job a lot of the time) or a home hurling match against Limerick or Tipp.

I've heard a lot of people telling me that it'll be used for concerts and the like, and that this will make it justifiable - but when did the GAA get in the business of building concert venues? We find it hard enough to finance all the projects that need to be done all across Ireland, without spending €40m of GAA money and €30m of taxpayer money on a vanity project like this. If this was any county other than Cork, then they'd be told to cop the hell on and either pay for it entirely themselves, or else get some sense. God knows the other 31 counties in Ireland should be telling them that - but then no-one wants to cross Frank, so we end up with this massive waste.

Zulu

It wouldn't be getting built but for the rugby World Cup.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: Zulu on July 11, 2014, 10:09:14 AM
I wouldn't think so, this will be a sell out.
There's talk about them putting on a second show

qwerty123

I've one for the covered stand and one for the open stand and one for the City End, I was wondering which one to take first considering I have first pick :)