China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Looks like the government are going full cautious mode. Can understand indoor crowds remaining the same but to keep GAA crowds at 200 makes little sense.

Edit now confirmed that phase 4 stuff has to wait for at least another 3 weeks

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 04, 2020, 06:18:59 PM
Looks like the government are going full cautious mode. Can understand indoor crowds remaining the same but to keep GAA crowds at 200 makes little sense.

Maybe to stop them all heading to the pub afterwards and chatting about the match?

Haven't noticed less shouting (causing more droplets) from management and supporters during games lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

Pubs are beat. If they can't open now then that's going to be them until well into next year. A lot will never reopen, their trade long gone by that stage. Big call to condemn such a large and visible aspect of Irish culture and society.

I'm all for being cautious with this thing, but government regulation in both Ireland and the UK has become increasingly illogical and disjointed as things have been opened up. It now seems to be more about being seen to be at something than actually tackling real issues.

Why are some pubs in the south pretending to 'serve food' allowed open, while other aren't? Open both or neither.
Why was the shielding advice paused in the north at the weekend with community transmission on an upward curve? It was safer a month ago for these people when they were told to keep locking themselves away.
What's actually being done to tackle large gatherings in houses and parks, which have demonstrably led to outbreaks on the island?
What's actually being done to ensure adherence to good practices in food processing facilities and group residential facilities, which have demonstrably led to outbreaks on the island?
Why is mask wearing being recommended sometimes, by some officials, in some settings, but never with any actual enforcement? If they help matters then make people wear them ffs.
Why are half the young ones in the country allowed jet off to Spain, Portugal and where ever else they want with nothing more in their way than some piss weak 'recommendations' against travel?
What alternative activities or schemes have been offered to these same young ones who've had their social lives decimated, education suspended, and job prospects voided?

But sure we'll keep the pubs shut, that'll solve things...
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

armaghniac

Another vaccine looking good, albeit at an earlier stage. Since these are a bit different hopefully one can prove suitable where another one doesn't.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/novavax-says-its-covid-19-vaccine-shows-promising-results-in-early-study-2020-08-04

"It's highly immunogenic," or able to produce immune responses, Gregory Glenn, Novavax's president of research and development, said in an interview. The vaccine also induced a favorable type of response from other components of the immune system, known as T-cells, which researchers think may help avoid a rare complication when a vaccine worsens the severity of disease.

Novavax, of Gaithersburg, Md., said the results support further testing, including a large, 30,000-person final-stage study slated to start in the fall. That study will test whether the immune responses triggered by the vaccine safely protect people from Covid-19.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lurganblue

Newcastle looks to have had a breakout here with many of the shops closing because staff have tested positive.  Supervalu and now Kent Amusements.  I was actually up in the town briefly on Sunday as I went for a walk in the Mournes.  It was absolutely packed...

Lazer

Quote from: lurganblue on August 05, 2020, 03:39:11 PM
Newcastle looks to have had a breakout here with many of the shops closing because staff have tested positive.  Supervalu and now Kent Amusements.  I was actually up in the town briefly on Sunday as I went for a walk in the Mournes.  It was absolutely packed...

Bon Bon as well, and some in Castlewellan - Eat Fresh, and Mulhollands Bar both had someone test positive and Tranquil Beauty is closed pending covid test result
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

armaghniac

Lockdown reintroduced in Aberdeen, this dose quickly comes back if you do not take care, and many people are not taking care.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

I wonder would you see this in the likes of Portrush. I imagine people would have flocked there too during this last few weeks.

Cunny Funt

ROI Hospital figures as of 8pm tonight.

In hospital 9
In ICU 6

Location of patients

Tallaght 2
Beaumont 1
Mater 1
Drogheda 1
Cavan 1
UH Limerick 1
Kilkenny 1
Galway 1

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2020, 09:56:00 PM
I wonder would you see this in the likes of Portrush. I imagine people would have flocked there too during this last few weeks.

We've seen it especially in the North at Crawfordsburn (the rave), Portrush and Portstewart are always stuffed on any sniff of sun, we had the unsocially distanced BLM protest at Belfast which I was in City at same time.

We all seen the pictures and videos of Dublin the night the bars opened in Temple Bar. The 'mass gatherings' have been happening for the past few months

The damage at this stage seems to be continually house parties, nearly in every situation especially in Northern Ireland....whats the solution to that?

Hound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 05, 2020, 11:12:56 PM

In hospital 9
In ICU 6

Location of patients

Tallaght 2
Beaumont 1
Mater 1
Drogheda 1
Cavan 1
UH Limerick 1
Kilkenny 1
Galway 1
There was an odd stat on the RTÉ news last night saying 15 hospitalised confirmed cases of Covid (in line with your post). But then there was another bigger number (can't remember exactly, think it was high 20s) of suspected cases of Covid in hospital.

Surely they could find out pretty quickly if someone has to be hospitalized with suspected Covid whether he/she actually has it or not!

Cavan19

Quote from: Hound on August 06, 2020, 10:54:57 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 05, 2020, 11:12:56 PM

In hospital 9
In ICU 6

Location of patients

Tallaght 2
Beaumont 1
Mater 1
Drogheda 1
Cavan 1
UH Limerick 1
Kilkenny 1
Galway 1
There was an odd stat on the RTÉ news last night saying 15 hospitalised confirmed cases of Covid (in line with your post). But then there was another bigger number (can't remember exactly, think it was high 20s) of suspected cases of Covid in hospital.

Surely they could find out pretty quickly if someone has to be hospitalized with suspected Covid whether he/she actually has it or not!

I think it is people who have been admitted for something non covid related who have been tested and are in the process of getting results back.  Its not something the public need to know and it seems to be a way of putting more fear into people. The same as the minister for health rambling on about community transmission while it is clear that the majority of current cases are related to  direct provision centres, Meat plants etc.

imtommygunn

What exactly is community transmission as well? You have got it somewhere in the community. It just feels a bit of a catch all and not very specific.

Cavan19

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2020, 12:35:56 PM
What exactly is community transmission as well? You have got it somewhere in the community. It just feels a bit of a catch all and not very specific.

Its where they cannot find out where an individual caught the virus where as when they say close contact they have identified who has infected the individual and can control it better by finding that persons close contacts.

imtommygunn