China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general

Cant see it happen with the increase in cases.

Cunny Funt

According to some journalists and their "sources" outdoors gatherings will be increased by 500. Indoor gatherings to remain at 50 for another few weeks and non food pubs may reopen under strict guidelines.

ONeill

Is there a table atall to show usual deaths by flu/respiratory diseases in a normal year compared to this year including Covid?

It's just something I've wanted to see.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2020, 03:09:41 PM
Is there a table atall to show usual deaths by flu/respiratory diseases in a normal year compared to this year including Covid?

It's just something I've wanted to see.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

ONeill

Thanks.

One of the clearest differences:

In the U.S, 155,478 people have died of COVID-19, as of August 4, 2020.*
In the U.S., from Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that 24,000 to 62,000 people died from the flu.

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2020, 03:21:43 PM
Thanks.

One of the clearest differences:

In the U.S, 155,478 people have died of COVID-19, as of August 4, 2020.*
In the U.S., from Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that 24,000 to 62,000 people died from the flu.

And the gap is greater than you would think. People routinely compare deaths from people tested for Covid19 with estimated deaths from flu. However, excess mortality stats show that Covid deaths are higher than those actually tested, especially when there is widespread transmission, for instance in New England in April.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Using the handful of studies that have calculated infection-fatality rates for seasonal flu, Meyerowitz-Katz determined that somewhere between 1 and 10 people die for every 100,000 that are infected. For COVID-19, that number ranges between 500 and 1,000 deaths per 100,000 infections. By his calculations, the coronavirus is likely to be 50 to 100 times more deadly than the seasonal flu, which supports the Columbia University findings.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2020/07/how-scientists-know-covid-19-is-way-deadlier-than-the-flu

Captain Obvious

No covid deaths in Northern Ireland for the 22nd consecutive day, 8 additional cases.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 04, 2020, 04:36:47 PM
No covid deaths in Northern Ireland for the 22nd consecutive day, 8 additional cases.

It's beat in Ireland. It's just what we do now with regards to tourism.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 04, 2020, 04:41:10 PM

I am interested in your definition of beat, the number of cases in the ROI has risen 5 times since the lowest point.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on August 04, 2020, 05:41:44 PM

I am interested in your definition of beat, the number of cases in the ROI has risen 5 times since the lowest point.

If the cases are rising what is the south doing that's keeping the death rate down? Have they got better at treating it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smurfy123

Beat as in anyone getting it very very rarely need treatment let alone hospital treatment. 2 people in the north in hospital 5 in the south. Cases going up median age going Down. The fact care homes were not sorted first and foremost has had a big big affect on things. When this finally gets reviewed catastrophe mistakes were made and that's the big one.

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2020, 05:51:15 PM

If the cases are rising what is the south doing that's keeping the death rate down? Have they got better at treating it?
Younger people getting it I'd say. Something like 80% of recent cases aged under 45.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on August 04, 2020, 05:55:21 PM

Younger people getting it I'd say. Something like 80% of recent cases aged under 45.

Younger people getting it is one reason, but there is a time lag too, if cases keep increasing then hospitalisations and deaths will increase too in due course. In these factories etc you have people of different ages and health conditions, not all of them are invulnerable and not all their relations and contacts are invulnerable.

GetOverTheBar

Maybe the strain is weakening....they said months ago there was two strains majorly in Europe. Perhaps this is now the proof. I'm sure the medical professions worldwide are pooling their resources in knowledge to no end too. We don't hear of any good news regarding this so the normal man like me wouldn't be reading about it.

Number of cases doesn't really interest me to be honest since any of us could have it right now and not know. I am interested in continuing the good work so far and looking forward.