Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: larryin89 on September 29, 2018, 11:58:22 AM
The Galway wans and the Roscommon wans seem awful concerned about horans appointment. I don't think ye have a notion on the mans character or ability if you think he's going to be a failure   . He will win the Nestor cup back in his first year , he loves batin Galway .

I don't think anyone from Galway even commented from what I can see.

I will say though that it will be interesting to see how Horan gets on. Being honest the first time round he was up against very callow Galway and Roscommon sides. That is no longer the case so even Connacht will be a much bigger challenge for him. Let alone the All-Ireland.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: dublin7 on September 28, 2018, 07:49:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 28, 2018, 04:26:20 PM
The amount of money the bag handlers are going to have to be fronting for a Horan style set-up when the team itself is in need of a near-complete overhaul seems like a form of madness.

I don't often agree with Syf(who does) but the Mayo job is a rebuilding job. Is Horan going to stick around for 3/4 years or is he just in it for 1/2 years to try and get one last push from the current panel and stick with the same older players. That won't work and will set mayo football back years

Honestly I think that they need to give the core squad one more year of a big push, I'd imagine that's how they'd have the older players committed for one more drive at it
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 29, 2018, 02:26:53 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 28, 2018, 07:49:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 28, 2018, 04:26:20 PM
The amount of money the bag handlers are going to have to be fronting for a Horan style set-up when the team itself is in need of a near-complete overhaul seems like a form of madness.

I don't often agree with Syf(who does) but the Mayo job is a rebuilding job. Is Horan going to stick around for 3/4 years or is he just in it for 1/2 years to try and get one last push from the current panel and stick with the same older players. That won't work and will set mayo football back years

Honestly I think that they need to give the core squad one more year of a big push, I'd imagine that's how they'd have the older players committed for one more drive at it

That's the wrong way to go. Best days are behind them and if they weren't good enough last year how can the same players 2 years older be good enough to get over the line? If the same players all start next season and they all retire together, what happens then?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 29, 2018, 12:52:45 AM
On what planet do you live on where you think Tom Parsons is going to play IC football in 2019. If he ever plays at that level again even as a ceremonial sub he will have beaten long odds. It might be the single most horrorfic and damaging knee injury I've seen on a football field.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 29, 2018, 03:06:49 PM
On what planet do you live on where you think Tom Parsons is going to play IC football in 2019. If he ever plays at that level again even as a ceremonial sub he will have beaten long odds. It might be the single most horrorfic and damaging knee injury I've seen on a football field.

You didn't answer the question. I haven't met even the most optimistic Mayo fanwagoner who thinks Parsons will contribute much of anything in 2019. Lad needs to be left alone and not pressured into making some sort of Lazurus-style return. He's basically working off of a knee that's been constructed on a surgeon's table.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 29, 2018, 03:22:41 PM

You didn't answer the question. I haven't met even the most optimistic Mayo fanwagoner who thinks Parsons will contribute much of anything in 2019. Lad needs to be left alone and not pressured into making some sort of Lazurus-style return. He's basically working off of a knee that's been constructed on a surgeon's table.
This is getting embarrassing....
Where did I say anything about Tom's chances of playing this or any other year?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 29, 2018, 07:01:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 29, 2018, 03:22:41 PM

This is getting embarrassing....
Where did I say anything about Tom's chances of playing this or any other year?

You're still an ass, I see.

From the Bunker

A lot of Mayo lads living in a fantasy world here. The Gig is up for most of our 2006 AI under 21's in the squad. They are now 32-34 years old. Andy has to be 36 next year.
Parson's injury is very serious and talk of a 2019 return is bordering on crazy.  He is one of our biggest losses and there is a Domino effect filling up the gap left from not being available.

Vaughan and Keegan have had serious injuries in the last 12 months. The pre-30's lads have had huge Championship mileage the last 8 years.

If we make the Super 8's through the front door (not a given), We will then have 3 weeks out in a month with an aged and battle weary team. Less games is what Mayo need.

If we make the AI final we will be 2 years older than the last time we were there. Yes 2 years older!

Dublin's squad is getting younger and fresher.

And finally the last hindrance. All these guys know the journey ahead of them. They know what has to be done to get to an All Ireland final - It's a long journey and there has to been no reward at the end for any of this squad. You might think you are ready for one more big push but really you can be in denial of where you really are as a player and a squad.

(I hope I'm wrong.)

larryin89

Maybe you're correct bunker but I'm not sure I understand not just your logic but a lot of the people.

Name the starting fifteen for next year and then ask yourself is that a good side , are they capable of landing the Nestor cup . If the answer is yes , then we find ourselves in the super 8 , is it really beyond reason to think we could then push on for a semi final spot?  We have young individuals capable of replacing lads who might be better suited to impact sub role next year . Mayo for all its bad press about not having lads capable to slot in are slowly showing signs of a new generation . Darmuid o connor is a prime example , the way he's talked about youd think he was in his 30s , the man is 23 with a rolls Royce engine .

I think horan will pull a master stroke in bringing in two Westport youngsters who will be solid additions .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on September 30, 2018, 08:25:58 PM
Maybe you're correct bunker but I'm not sure I understand not just your logic but a lot of the people.

Name the starting fifteen for next year and then ask yourself is that a good side , are they capable of landing the Nestor cup . If the answer is yes , then we find ourselves in the super 8 , is it really beyond reason to think we could then push on for a semi final spot?  We have young individuals capable of replacing lads who might be better suited to impact sub role next year . Mayo for all its bad press about not having lads capable to slot in are slowly showing signs of a new generation . Darmuid o connor is a prime example , the way he's talked about youd think he was in his 30s , the man is 23 with a rolls Royce engine .

I think horan will pull a master stroke in bringing in two Westport youngsters who will be solid additions .

Were they good enough to win the Nestor Cup in 2016, 2017 and 2018? And did they? Why not? What would guarantee us to win it in 2019?

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2018, 10:04:08 AM
A lot of Mayo lads living in a fantasy world here. The Gig is up for most of our 2006 AI under 21's in the squad. They are now 32-34 years old. Andy has to be 36 next year.
Parson's injury is very serious and talk of a 2019 return is bordering on crazy.  He is one of our biggest losses and there is a Domino effect filling up the gap left from not being available.

Vaughan and Keegan have had serious injuries in the last 12 months. The pre-30's lads have had huge Championship mileage the last 8 years.

If we make the Super 8's through the front door (not a given), We will then have 3 weeks out in a month with an aged and battle weary team. Less games is what Mayo need.

If we make the AI final we will be 2 years older than the last time we were there. Yes 2 years older!

And finally the last hindrance. All these guys know the journey ahead of them. They know what has to be done to get to an All Ireland final - It's a long journey and there has to been no reward at the end for any of this squad. You might think you are ready for one more big push but really you can be in denial of where you really are as a player and a squad.

(I hope I'm wrong.)

It will 4 years since Horan left when the next campaign starts. The transition after Horan left was not handled well and there has been a dysfunctional feel about the years since.
Again after Rochford there are 'issues' about what is happening next.
Solan dropping out raises questions. I've heard he has also cashed in his chips with the U20 gig. That might turn out to be a load of bollocks of course.
I know of at least one of the older hands who has not decided about going at it again. Like you Bunker, I would not be overly hopeful.
We need a new midfield for a start. Seamie, Tom P. and Big Bird are yesterday's men.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on September 30, 2018, 11:54:17 PM

(I hope I'm wrong.)

It will 4 years since Horan left when the next campaign starts. The transition after Horan left was not handled well and there has been a dysfunctional feel about the years since.
Solan dropping out raises questions. I've heard he has also cashed in his chips with the U20 gig. That might turn out to be a load of bollocks of course.
I know of at least one of the older hands who has not decided about going at it again. Like you Bunker, I would not be overly hopeful.
We need a new midfield for a start. Seamie, Tom P. and Big Bird are yesterday's men.

I wouldnt be as pessimistic as some on here about our chances next year.If Horan gets the job i dont think anyone will step away but bar maybe Clarke and Higgins i dont think any of the older players are starters anymore.Higgins may also have to settle for a role as impact sub.With no retirements Clarke will be in goal.Our back 6 will be Barrett Harrisson O Donoghue Keegan Coen Durcan.Diarmuid at midfield.Aido Mc Loughlin Cillian and Doherty are all likely to start in the forwards so we need to find a midfielder and some forwards.Boyle Higgins Seamus O Se and of course Andy as impact subs and its not looking to shabby.IMO Doherty needs to be played in the Andy role at ff with Cillian pulling the strings from cf.Who the forwards are is anyones guess but i would like to see Naughton James Carr and Reape given a proper chance.

Syferus

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 01, 2018, 06:52:13 PM

(I hope I'm wrong.)

I wouldnt be as pessimistic as some on here about our chances next year.If Horan gets the job i dont think anyone will step away but bar maybe Clarke and Higgins i dont think any of the older players are starters anymore.Higgins may also have to settle for a role as impact sub.With no retirements Clarke will be in goal.Our back 6 will be Barrett Harrisson O Donoghue Keegan Coen Durcan.Diarmuid at midfield.Aido Mc Loughlin Cillian and Doherty are all likely to start in the forwards so we need to find a midfielder and some forwards.Boyle Higgins Seamus O Se and of course Andy as impact subs and its not looking to shabby.IMO Doherty needs to be played in the Andy role at ff with Cillian pulling the strings from cf.Who the forwards are is anyones guess but i would like to see Naughton James Carr and Reape given a proper chance.

How did this superb team lose to Kildare this year but will be expected to compete for an AI with a year more on the clock?

mayoman dan

Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2018, 07:06:56 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on October 01, 2018, 06:52:13 PM

(I hope I'm wrong.)

How did this superb team lose to Kildare this year but will be expected to compete for an AI with a year more on the clock?

Keegan and Vaughan not match fit after serious injuries.
Our  first choice midfield gone.
Newbridge or nowhere galvanised a very good Kildare team.
The hottest weather in 30 years took a toll on a lot of our players.

As an aside you have serious interest in Mayo syferus.Was it always this way or is only since we sent ye back to the stone age with a 20 something point mauling in Croke park?????