Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 11, 2007, 11:22:34 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

what position? and (you are) the one with the personal attacks regarding grammar, get a life man, get your head out of the dictionary.

cant wait for my mistakes to be highlighted again

No point in trying to discuss GAA issues rationally with you.

However

cant = insincere or to talk hypocritically
can't = abbreviated form of cannot.

Hope this helps.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

milltown row

yeah, is that you done now?

now football talk, can Port-glen-one beat Naomh Gall? (the team of players from everywhere else)

i hope the match is competitive and on before the hurling final, keep me out of the bar untill later in the day. any word from ports men out there?

how's your preperation going and your views on how to stop CJ and Karl Stewart from scoring?

imtommygunn

Portglenone have defenders who are much more capable of curtailing the damage them two boys do to some extent. Between Paddy Carey, Convery and maybe John McKeever if he moves back they could restrict a bit of damage.

Storey and McCarry - I think that is still their midfield partnership? - should compete anyway at midfield(actually now I think about it I think a young McKeever is in midfield so he must be good to be displacing one of those two boys). Owen Doherty is also excellent at winning break ball. However from there up I just don't see them competing. I don't think they'll be blown away like Creggan but I think they will fall a bit short. Gerard McAleese seems like their best forward and I still think he's a bit light so a good defender , I think, would hold him. McCallion is good for frees but not sure about general play.

Galls have Stewart and McGourty for scores plus I would assume that the other McGourty(Kieran not the might one) is back who is also handy. They also have Sean Kelly and is McClean playing in defense who should be fit to dominate. That and I'm sure I'm missing a few boys too. McRory and whoever else can usually hold their own at midfield there too.

In midfield and defense Portglenone should, I would expect, compete better than Creggan but I wouldn't expect any domination there. Still they've nothing to lose.

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 11, 2007, 02:15:29 PM
yeah, is that you done now?

now football talk, can Port-glen-one beat Naomh Gall? (the team of players from everywhere else)

i hope the match is competitive and on before the hurling final, keep me out of the bar untill later in the day. any word from ports men out there?

how's your preperation going and your views on how to stop CJ and Karl Stewart from scoring?

No, Portglenone will not get close to beating St. Gall's. You will win it by as much as you want.  I would propose a similar structure in the football championship as that which is used in hurling.  This would allow the two best teams in the county to compete in the final and not the mixum-gatherum that is Portglenone.

I don't think any team in Antrim could stop those two boys if they are on song - in fact you will probably remember me championing Stewart for the Antrim football team.

Appropriate use of the apostrophe.  Well done.

Glensman

"Mixum-gatherum" - Will you please define O lord of the Dictionary/Grammar?

Do you mean that they are generally a mixed up bunch and confused on the field of play or are you criticising the origin of their players...again?

If it is the latter you have an awful lot of hang ups about players from other clubs. I would wager that whatever club from which you hail there have been transfers as well. It is the way of the world.

Really not sure how Portglenone will fair. They will put it up to them I hope. They is no call for freezing on the BIG stage as they have been there before.

As regards CJ and Stewart how do they be stopped in Antrim (whether or not by Portglenone)...can they be intimidated out of it, double marked - just interested to see what people think of players who are supposedly unmarkable.
Wouldn't condone cynical tactics on anyone but it clearly must cross peoples minds.

imtommygunn

IMO Stewart is not unmarkable and Portglenone have boys who can do a job on him.  If a surplus of ball comes in though he would maybe eventually do some damage.How much damage did he do against Creggan - it wasn't that much was it?

McGourty however is a different kettle of fish but he is petulant and petulant people generally can be thrown off their game so I suppose intimidation could be considered. I've never considered Portglenone a particularly dirty team though so doubt they'd stoop to that.

maxpower

Good win for the Dunloy lads last night in the intermediate championship, beat Ballymena 2-10 to 1-8, i hard to leave the game early with Dunloy up by 8 points and playing really well so was somewhat surprised to hear we needed a late goal to fend off a Ballymena comeback

Sets up a final with St Enda's, a team i can never remember Dunloy playing, that is if the final goes ahead, a man at the match last night was telling Rossa are still appealing being thrown out and have a good chance.  what would happen their, would it be a redraw again or would Enda's and Rossa simply play off,
What happens next????

Maximus Marillius

What date is the county final between the Ports and St Galls.

milltown row

the 7th of October, double header with the county hurling and football finals at Casement

who will win the Derry final? and what way are the ulster draws set up this year.

i'm not saying who will win antrim as i will be cheering on whoever wins, when the antrim championship is over.

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 12, 2007, 10:06:33 AM
the 7th of October, double header with the county hurling and football finals at Casement

who will win the Derry final? and what way are the ulster draws set up this year.

i'm not saying who will win antrim as i will be cheering on whoever wins, when the antrim championship is over.
Derry and Antrim champions would meet at semi-final stage if St. Gall's see off either the Donegal or Cavan champions.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Glensman on September 11, 2007, 05:08:24 PM
"Mixum-gatherum" - Will you please define O lord of the Dictionary/Grammar?

Do you mean that they are generally a mixed up bunch and confused on the field of play or are you criticising the origin of their players...again?
No, I simply means that in terms of good championship teams of the past (Cargin, St. Paul's etc) or excellent teams like the current St. Gall's one, they compare very unfavourably. Their best player has retired, their remaining better ones are ageing, the Bellaghy reserves have retreated back across the Bann and they have too many gaps to be plugged with club journeymen.  That they have a decent club despite the constant intimidation by their "neighbours" is an achievement; that they are in this year's final is a result of a handy draw and an indictment of the current state of Antrim club football.  Hence mixum-gatherum is an appropriate term.

Quote from: maxpower on September 12, 2007, 09:43:58 AM
Sets up a final with St Enda's, a team i can never remember Dunloy playing, that is if the final goes ahead, a man at the match last night was telling Rossa are still appealing being thrown out and have a good chance.  what would happen their, would it be a redraw again or would Enda's and Rossa simply play off,
Rossa still appealing and by all accounts, they will win their appeal either at Ulster Council level or the DRA.  However, they feel that because the championship has progressed so far, it is unlikely they will be re-admitted this year. It appears to this neutral observer somewhat typical of the Antrim county board but even by their standards I have rarely heard such a sordid account of drawn games, missing extra time, refixtures, unilateral decision making, individuals not knowing the rules, water carriers, byelaws, CCCs, sex, requests for information, written requests for information, written requests to acknowledge written requests, phantom phone calls, sausage roll baps and personal vendattas.  When I last heard Rossa were waiting for Fergal Logan to return from holiday before moving the case forward.

I made one part of that paragraph up.

ONeill

QuoteRossa have got away with an awful lot over the years

I'd be interested in hearing a few of these scenarios.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

At that time hardstation they threatened to pull their players out of the county squad if they got relegated from the football. Lo and behold they finished bottom the leagues were then restructured and no one got relegated.

Anyway I don't have anything personal against them but there are a few instances like this which I feel have finally came back to haunt them.

ONeill

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 14, 2007, 09:31:43 PM
At that time hardstation they threatened to pull their players out of the county squad if they got relegated from the football. Lo and behold they finished bottom the leagues were then restructured and no one got relegated.

Anyway I don't have anything personal against them but there are a few instances like this which I feel have finally came back to haunt them.

Surely there's more to it than that. Were they not relegated the next year?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

They beat Aghagallon in a play off the following year and then got relegated the year after that. Obviously none of us can state unequivocally that this is what happened but the word is/was that they threatened to pull their county players out with them having a few influential ones in Connolly and Kettle and a few others too in Bell(if he played county then which I think he did) and Hamill.