Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

John Joe why are the Stintons playing in the grade 3 of the feile? Surely two clubs that join together are strong enough for the grade 1 level. Some achievment for Magherafelt. Best u14 team in Ireland

In the Onion Bag

Dear Antrim Gaels, -  pardon this intrusion by a Co Down hoore onto your thread but I need local North Antrim advice please. 

I help manage an average reserve football team (i.e. presently close to top of the East Down Reseve League).  We are planning a weekend residential symposium on the North Coast over then next fortnight.

The symposium is to better develop the players' understanding of the of finer social & cultural aspects of belonging to a GAA Club.  Although the trip will mainly focus on discussing the finer theory of the game, its role in the community, rules & referees, etc, etc we would also like to include an actual game against a club of similar standard.  Perhaps on the Friday eveing, Saturday or Sunday morning/afternoon.  We will be based on the north coast close to Balycastle.  Anyone know of any 'nearish' football clubs I could approach about a friendly?

Also, any advice on good 'GAA-minded' (hurling/football/Ir Music, anything really) pubs that we might include as part of the 'exploring the cultural aspects or our great Association' itinary. 
Local advice would also be useful on any establishments that are unlikely to match the cultural & learing needs our lads a would best be avoided.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mhic Easmuint

Max, Thats one to ask the Feile Committee. As far as i know it has somehting to do with the Division your county played int he previous year.  If a team from a county wins a division one year i think they are in a division higher the next year.
Stinsons actually beat Magherafelt in a friendly before the Feile Finals but you can't read too much into that.

Onion Bag, Ballycastle may be your best bet for a friendly in that area.  They play in Division 6.  Dunloy of Glenravel would probably be the other closest teams but they play in Division 1 and 2.

A website that might be of interest: http://www.glensofantrimsportsretreat.com/

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 03, 2007, 11:02:27 AM
Dear Antrim Gaels, -  pardon this intrusion by a Co Down hoore onto your thread but I need local North Antrim advice please. 

I help manage an average reserve football team (i.e. presently close to top of the East Down Reseve League).  We are planning a weekend residential symposium on the North Coast over then next fortnight.

The symposium is to better develop the players' understanding of the of finer social & cultural aspects of belonging to a GAA Club.  Although the trip will mainly focus on discussing the finer theory of the game, its role in the community, rules & referees, etc, etc we would also like to include an actual game against a club of similar standard.  Perhaps on the Friday eveing, Saturday or Sunday morning/afternoon.  We will be based on the north coast close to Balycastle.  Anyone know of any 'nearish' football clubs I could approach about a friendly?

Also, any advice on good 'GAA-minded' (hurling/football/Ir Music, anything really) pubs that we might include as part of the 'exploring the cultural aspects or our great Association' itinary. 
Local advice would also be useful on any establishments that are unlikely to match the cultural & learing needs our lads a would best be avoided.

Thanks for any help you can give.

my club (Cargin) are crying out for reserve friendlies at present. you could play us on the Friday evening and head on up to the North Coast afterwards.

imtommygunn

Dunloy and Glenravel reserves play in division 6 as well as Ballycastle so one of those three would likely be your best bet.

Cargin reserves would beat a lot of senior teams so unless you're of a particularly high standard I would stay away from them. By high I would say you'd need to be top 3 or 4 reserve teams in Down. No idea what standard East Down reserve league is.

The Real SlimShady

exactly! tho they had a lot missin by all accounts

imtommygunn

From what I read not too sure Bellaghy 1sts could beat Bellaghy 3rds!!

Scoring forward, leaders and all sorts in that 3rd team!!

ONeill

I hear McGourty hit a hat-trick against London today.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Balboa

Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2007, 06:47:44 PM
I hear McGourty hit a hat-trick against London today.

A helluva an achievement in anyones books...... ;)

charlie stubbs

in fairness maximus bellaghy are hardly setting the world alight this season

Maximus Marillius

What more would ye want at this time of the year...second in the league and the championship starts proper for us at the end of August. Hard to keep a good thing down :P

charlie stubbs

if you qualify.a bellaghy man i know said if we dont beat kilrewa we should give up...

ONeill

Seagan An Diomais - can any Saffron Gaels tell me much about this successful dual club from the early 1900s. I know the great Harry Sheehan played for them (today's archive section of the Irish News letters - although they have it as Sean a' Diomas). Where were they based? Any info would be great.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

milltown row

i'd imagine he is related the the Sheehan's from Naomh Gall.

there are still Sheehans playing football and hurling also the current senior manager is a Sheehan. i think they (sheehan) were some of the founder members of Naomh Gall