Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InnocentByStander

As I started the debate id like to weigh in. Brilliant bit of goalkeeping saves the ball between the stage of dropping the ball from hand to foot, only contact made with forward is due to the forward being in motion of kicking the ball takes him into the goalkeeper. If you pause it you can see the initial contact is with the ball and doesn't touch the man until the fella's momentum takes him into the keeper. 

Its honestly incredible goalkeeping great save/block.

I see how everyone has different opinions but your reasoning for saying its a foul MR2 is wrong as there is no contact with the man until after ball is blocked/saved.

P.S Pause the video at 16 seconds

paddyjohn

Who won the Cargin V Glen game?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: InnocentByStander on December 11, 2023, 01:36:52 PMAs I started the debate id like to weigh in. Brilliant bit of goalkeeping saves the ball between the stage of dropping the ball from hand to foot, only contact made with forward is due to the forward being in motion of kicking the ball takes him into the goalkeeper. If you pause it you can see the initial contact is with the ball and doesn't touch the man until the fella's momentum takes him into the keeper. 

I see how everyone has different opinions but your reasoning for saying its a foul MR2 is wrong as there is no contact with the man until after ball is blocked/saved.

You can't pause the match though, and my initial reaction from the view on screen 'live' is foul..

If it was a touch on the ball first then yes I can say keeper made contact with the ball play on.

As for having a chat with the umpires, yeah, not problems.. The umpires have a duty too and maybe they felt it was a free also as they didn't call him in?

You can tackle the ball in the square if the keeper has it, other contact will generally result in a free

I mentioned on another thread yesterday that the main chatter in games are what the ref did, rather than the mistakes the players do during the 60 + minutes of a game, is it easier to blame the ref for a teams failings?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SaffronSports

To me there's absolutely no doubt the goalie makes the save between the player dropping the ball and his foot kicking it. The angle the ball comes out tells me that for sure but the real question is did he make contact with the player before the ball. The angle is inconclusive to be honest and you're really only trusting your eyes. Personally my first viewing was no foul but I can see why there's debate.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: SaffronSports on December 11, 2023, 02:26:07 PMTo me there's absolutely no doubt the goalie makes the save between the player dropping the ball and his foot kicking it. The angle the ball comes out tells me that for sure but the real question is did he make contact with the player before the ball. The angle is inconclusive to be honest and you're really only trusting your eyes. Personally my first viewing was no foul but I can see why there's debate.

doesn't pause the video at 16 seconds can see its all ball

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2023, 01:54:39 PM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on December 11, 2023, 01:36:52 PMAs I started the debate id like to weigh in. Brilliant bit of goalkeeping saves the ball between the stage of dropping the ball from hand to foot, only contact made with forward is due to the forward being in motion of kicking the ball takes him into the goalkeeper. If you pause it you can see the initial contact is with the ball and doesn't touch the man until the fella's momentum takes him into the keeper. 

You can't pause the match though, and my initial reaction from the view on screen 'live' is foul..

If it was a touch on the ball first then yes I can say keeper made contact with the ball play on.

As for having a chat with the umpires, yeah, not problems.. The umpires have a duty too and maybe they felt it was a free also as they didn't call him in?

You can tackle the ball in the square if the keeper has it, other contact will generally result in a free

I mentioned on another thread yesterday that the main chatter in games are what the ref did, rather than the mistakes the players do during the 60 + minutes of a game, is it easier to blame the ref for a teams failings?

You are right teams do see it as an easy coup out.

Even as a supporter i do it myself at initial reaction often time goes by maybe re watch the game you look and realise it usually isn't the ref that beats you.

However i did just say M'felt can feel hard done by with the decision but didn't blame Colm for them losing.

I'll also add i think Colm is one of the top Refs in our county at the moment. Good fair ref and treats the players with respect. 

SaffronSports

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 11, 2023, 02:38:11 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on December 11, 2023, 02:26:07 PMTo me there's absolutely no doubt the goalie makes the save between the player dropping the ball and his foot kicking it. The angle the ball comes out tells me that for sure but the real question is did he make contact with the player before the ball. The angle is inconclusive to be honest and you're really only trusting your eyes. Personally my first viewing was no foul but I can see why there's debate.
What? You are allowed to make contact with people in Gaelic Football.

You're not allowed to dive at and take out a players legs which is what the referee has deemed to have happened here. If he has got to the ball and saved it, that's perfect but if he has gone through the player then made contact with the ball, it's a foul.

SaffronSports

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 11, 2023, 05:15:38 PMHow can you think for a second that that's what happened in that clip?

What is it you think the referee believes happened here? He obviously believes the goalkeeper took the player out?

Milltown Row2

So this is what actually happens in every game!

A call that gets people divided on what happened.

I've seen plenty as a supporter that leaves me baffled tbf.

But, over the years I've mellowed as a supporter and just get on with it.

Returning to management would certainly change my opinion though, as my investment would be more critical of decisions within the game. That's a natural enough response though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 1884 on December 11, 2023, 07:47:56 PMI've seen worse calls given/not given but so much air time for this incident. Ref can't get every call right. It was a great tackle from the keeper - you'll not see much of a better save in a while considering how late on, Ulster quarter final etc. MR2 not seeing it as this is a bit worrying but in the heat of the battle and a split second decision to make you have to have some sympathy with CMcD. I'm sure he can see the mistake from the video but in real time it maybe looks like a rash tackle hence the call. But let's move on lads. It's nearly Christmas.

Any word on managers across the divisions? Anyone any info?

Your easily worried.. I've more worrying things like the cost of living, my kids getting jobs, mortgages my families health, you know, important stuff

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 1884 on December 11, 2023, 08:14:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2023, 07:53:10 PM
Quote from: 1884 on December 11, 2023, 07:47:56 PMI've seen worse calls given/not given but so much air time for this incident. Ref can't get every call right. It was a great tackle from the keeper - you'll not see much of a better save in a while considering how late on, Ulster quarter final etc. MR2 not seeing it as this is a bit worrying but in the heat of the battle and a split second decision to make you have to have some sympathy with CMcD. I'm sure he can see the mistake from the video but in real time it maybe looks like a rash tackle hence the call. But let's move on lads. It's nearly Christmas.

Your easily worried.. I've more worrying things like the cost of living, my kids getting jobs, mortgages my families health, you know, important stuff

You not making a fortune blowing the whistle?

I'm not talking about me, I'm loaded lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 1884 on December 11, 2023, 08:45:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2023, 08:22:36 PM
Quote from: 1884 on December 11, 2023, 08:14:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2023, 07:53:10 PM

You not making a fortune blowing the whistle?

I'm not talking about me, I'm loaded lol

I thought you were on commission for the amount of times you could blow it. That's the whistle not the game  ;)

someone has to step up, others can't or won't, without them ....

Silver hill

Quote from: Oso on December 07, 2023, 05:42:52 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on December 06, 2023, 08:12:02 PM
Quote from: Spike on December 04, 2023, 05:52:09 PMquote author=Silver hill link=msg=2237786 date=1699865270]
I was at the game and it happened right in front of us. McCann lifted his elbow into an unnatural position and caught Mcguckin on the jaw/cheek. Straight red all day long.

Silver Hill i think everyone has moved on.  Your own credibility evaporated the second you posted the above which all video and photographic evidence refutes.

Enjoy your run with Glen rather than prolonging what appears to be a niggling doubt about that side. I'm sure the derry discussion board are awaiting your wisdom

Refutes....  :-*

It irks you because you know, but you can't admit that Glen may well not have gotten through that game with 15 Cargin men on the pitch for the duration.

Your original statement of what you say you saw is just as reliable as the linesman's on the day who's originally from Foreglen and now lives in Donegal. It just lacks any credibility at all. 
[/quote]

Serious bit of straw clutching there re the linesman. Cargin have won one ulster club game in 10 years. Could play until now and still wouldn't get enough scores to win a game in that championship. Delusional. So, by your logic I suppose you feel Cargin would have been ulster Champions today if Tomas hadn't lifted his elbow?

SaffronSports

Quote from: Silver hill on December 11, 2023, 10:51:18 PM
Quote from: Oso on December 07, 2023, 05:42:52 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on December 06, 2023, 08:12:02 PM
Quote from: Spike on December 04, 2023, 05:52:09 PMquote author=Silver hill link=msg=2237786 date=1699865270]
I was at the game and it happened right in front of us. McCann lifted his elbow into an unnatural position and caught Mcguckin on the jaw/cheek. Straight red all day long.

Silver Hill i think everyone has moved on.  Your own credibility evaporated the second you posted the above which all video and photographic evidence refutes.

Enjoy your run with Glen rather than prolonging what appears to be a niggling doubt about that side. I'm sure the derry discussion board are awaiting your wisdom

Refutes....  :-*

It irks you because you know, but you can't admit that Glen may well not have gotten through that game with 15 Cargin men on the pitch for the duration.

Your original statement of what you say you saw is just as reliable as the linesman's on the day who's originally from Foreglen and now lives in Donegal. It just lacks any credibility at all. 

Serious bit of straw clutching there re the linesman. Cargin have won one ulster club game in 10 years. Could play until now and still wouldn't get enough scores to win a game in that championship. Delusional. So, by your logic I suppose you feel Cargin would have been ulster Champions today if Tomas hadn't lifted his elbow?
[/quote]

Now that Tomas has had the red card rescinded does that mean Glen's title is tainted?

quit yo jibbajabba

Stick an asterisk beside it. It's the only way