Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 16, 2022, 02:37:20 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2022, 01:35:13 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2022, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2022, 10:44:03 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 15, 2022, 03:27:03 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 15, 2022, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:38:54 PM
Define terrorist.

A person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

So the British Army weren't terrorist because their violence and intimidation has the legal backing of the state?

Hello? Trailer??

Hello what?

The IRA are a terrorist organisation who murdered 1000s of people many from their own communities. It was nothing more than a bunch of hard men talking about freeing Ireland but in reality its only aims were to enrich themselves and carry out mass murder. Women, Children, Innocent people it didn't matter.
Other terrorist organisations did the same. The British government waged hell on the people here. But yet peace won out eventually. Men and Women of peace.

Now were talking about a United Ireland but can't even unite here to condemn sicking chanting and pro terrorist songs ffs. It not culture, it's not tradition, it sicking glorification of murder. We need to legislate so that those who engage in it are charged with a hate crime. Stamp it right out.

That's a veeeery long winded way of not answering the question. I'll try again:
You define a terrorist group as one that "uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims". Does that mean the British Army was not a terrorist group because it's violence and intimidation enjoyed the legal backing of the state?

P.s. You remind me of Colm Eastwood who last week also claimed that the IRA killed "thousands". Which is of course, a lie.

Naw you are right they only killed 1700-sweet jesus catch yerself on man, 50%

So not thousands. But I suppose when you want to score points, who cares about lying about the deaths of hundreds of people, eh?

Redner for you, totally brainwashed

Brainwashed? So I'm wrong when I say the IRA didn't kill "thousands"?

You are pathetic

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 16, 2022, 04:08:09 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2022, 04:02:47 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 16, 2022, 03:59:17 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2022, 02:42:53 PM
Define terrorist.

A person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

So the British Army weren't terrorist because their violence and intimidation has the legal backing of the state?

Hello? Trailer??

Hello what?

The IRA are a terrorist organisation who murdered 1000s of people many from their own communities. It was nothing more than a bunch of hard men talking about freeing Ireland but in reality its only aims were to enrich themselves and carry out mass murder. Women, Children, Innocent people it didn't matter.
Other terrorist organisations did the same. The British government waged hell on the people here. But yet peace won out eventually. Men and Women of peace.

Now were talking about a United Ireland but can't even unite here to condemn sicking chanting and pro terrorist songs ffs. It not culture, it's not tradition, it sicking glorification of murder. We need to legislate so that those who engage in it are charged with a hate crime. Stamp it right out.

You define a terrorist group as one that "uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims". Does that mean the British Army was not a terrorist group because it's violence and intimidation enjoyed the legal backing of the state?

P.s. You remind me of Colm Eastwood who last week also claimed that the IRA killed "thousands". Which is of course, a lie.

So not thousands. But I suppose when you want to score points, who cares about lying about the deaths of hundreds of people, eh?

You are pathetic

You're weird.

Wildweasel74

Taking to a few the day about the Wolf Tones,  and there honest opinion is when the f**k are people gonna grow up,  with that chanting. The majority who weren't around durig the troubles and a band bleeding dry the public for old tunes,  then piss off back south not giving a shit about the fall out after it. I honestly starting to put it down to a city thing, city people mentality to townies, or country people, just different. Until we sort out our own issues, with the past especially too many, with blinkers on We never be in a position to point out the pure shit storm farce,  of what Unionism is. Honestly  think if a united Ireland (which I vote for) happened in the morning,  I wouldn't give a f**k. Ireland just descend into the mess that happened  Britain's withdrawn from India and Palestine which still has fall out 70yrs later.

michaelg

Quote from: general_lee on August 16, 2022, 01:25:19 PM
The thing is, "Unapologetically British" in a 6 county context tends to mean being a belligerent, intransigent, right wing, anti-Irish supremacist.

The brass neck of DUP and other Loyalist politicians bemoaning one single bonfire in Derry when it's exactly the same thing they get up to every July on a much larger scale is almost unbelievable.  Loyalist culture seems to be sacred - you can't challenge, criticise or oppose it without them going into full siege mentality.
There are many thousands of British, Unionist people who aren't belligerent, intransigent, right wing etc.  A lot of people on here tend to tar all Unionists with the same loyalist brush.

ONeill

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2022, 04:52:37 PM
Do you imagine those chanting the same song at The Boe Inn in Dromore during the Ulster Fleadh were city folk?
Or indeed, the Tyrone senior football team returning from a game on the bus?

Similarly, I think you would find quite a few people from the city who would associate this type of behaviour with country folk, having only experienced it when passing through the holylands of a night.

But I think to suggest that there aren't plenty of young people in places like Dunloy, Ballinderry, Galbally, Kilcoo, Killeavy or Derrygonnelly who would enjoy such, then I believe that you may be very much mistaken.

There are only so many times we can sing Friends In Low Places in one night to be fair.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2022, 04:10:28 PM
Define terrorist.

Hello? Trailer??

Hello what?

You are pathetic

You're weird.

What kinda weirdo makes a hallow political point in the manner you did . So so pathetic. It just reads who gives a feck aboit the 1700 as long as it wasn't 2000. Absolute tool, sick actually

Wildweasel74

Worked in Belfast for 17yrs in ever area of Belfast, and to be honest I didn't think too much of Belfast, (Only Larne, Ballymena, Drumahoe been worst areas) with the M2 out of it been the best thing about it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: michaelg on August 16, 2022, 05:34:18 PM
Quote from: general_lee on August 16, 2022, 01:25:19 PM
The thing is, "Unapologetically British" in a 6 county context tends to mean being a belligerent, intransigent, right wing, anti-Irish supremacist.

The brass neck of DUP and other Loyalist politicians bemoaning one single bonfire in Derry when it's exactly the same thing they get up to every July on a much larger scale is almost unbelievable.  Loyalist culture seems to be sacred - you can't challenge, criticise or oppose it without them going into full siege mentality.
There are many thousands of British, Unionist people who aren't belligerent, intransigent, right wing etc.  A lot of people on here tend to tar all Unionists with the same loyalist brush.

Funny you mention it that does my nut in. The likes of binlid Bryson talks about the PUL community like a) they're all the same and b) he represents them all.

This thread illustrates the wide range of views on nationalism with some being none too favourable and some being fine - unionism has that too.

There is some acronym you can see them starting - I think CNR. It's the for us or against us culture. It's the same with the woke thing and right wing thing now. Load of ballix.

Belfast is very good in areas and rough as in some too. It's just the way any city is.

charlieTully

If/when there is a UI. I'd like to think the OO no matter what we think of them would be accommodated to continue their culture. The band scene is a big part of PUL culture and isn't going away. There is a dodgy element at them parades. Growing up in a majority loyalist area I've witnessed it first hand. Things have changed though. My kids can walk around in gaa tops etc.  The Wolfe Tones craic is a fugazi. No one really cares really. A load of kids shouting up the raa. They aren't running off to join the alphabet raa the next day. It's a reality of this place. I get the whole moral high ground thing but as someone else said it will be forgotten about in a few days when the next moral outrage comes along. Maybe we just accept these things will linger for a while yet. The broad black brimmer and the sash have certainly stuck around.

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 16, 2022, 06:06:44 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 16, 2022, 04:10:28 PM
Define terrorist.

Hello? Trailer??

Hello what?

You are pathetic

You're weird.

What kinda weirdo makes a hallow political point in the manner you did . So so pathetic. It just reads who gives a feck aboit the 1700 as long as it wasn't 2000. Absolute tool, sick actually
So it's OK to lie about who killed over 300 people, it's "sick" to challenge someone who for telling the lie? Hmmm

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on August 16, 2022, 08:42:36 PM
If/when there is a UI. I'd like to think the OO no matter what we think of them would be accommodated to continue their culture. The band scene is a big part of PUL culture and isn't going away. There is a dodgy element at them parades. Growing up in a majority loyalist area I've witnessed it first hand. Things have changed though. My kids can walk around in gaa tops etc.  The Wolfe Tones craic is a fugazi. No one really cares really. A load of kids shouting up the raa. They aren't running off to join the alphabet raa the next day. It's a reality of this place. I get the whole moral high ground thing but as someone else said it will be forgotten about in a few days when the next moral outrage comes along. Maybe we just accept these things will linger for a while yet. The broad black brimmer and the sash have certainly stuck around.

And it's also fine for thousands of kids to shout uuuvf!! If you are fine with that continuing then we've no problems at all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Trans link are now reviewing their sponsorship of the teddy bears picnic.

Seriously.

World has gone mad.

charlieTully

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 09:08:49 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on August 16, 2022, 08:42:36 PM

And it's also fine for thousands of kids to shout uuuvf!! If you are fine with that continuing then we've no problems at all

More just accepting off it than fine tbh. I've had many a nights craic singing the tunes. Wouldn't dream of it now, cringe at the thought. I'll not be anywhere hearing uvf chants but no doubt it exists. As years go on it will lessen. My point maybe poorly made is just let it reach it's natural conclusion.

Targetman

Ach its still hard to beat an aul Rebs session Charlie, (in the right environment of course!!)

charlieTully

Quote from: Targetman on August 16, 2022, 10:53:57 PM
Ach its still hard to beat an aul Rebs session Charlie, (in the right environment of course!!)

A slow boat on the Irish sea.