Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 12:46:04 PM
one other big point in the funding debate, is that John Costello prepared the blue prints, put the business case together etc to show how the money was to be spent, it  wasnt a case of Dublin needs a million for coaching development, he had the stats to back the demand

Absolutely. They put together a great plan, and have delivered on it, in terms of high quality coaching outputs. I certainly wouldn't argue that point.

Orchard park

and from speaking to someone at the itme in croker, no other county out together anything within an asses roar of that standard of application or planning

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 20, 2017, 12:48:10 PM
one other big point in the funding debate, is that John Costello prepared the blue prints, put the business case together etc to show how the money was to be spent, it  wasnt a case of Dublin needs a million for coaching development, he had the stats to back the demand

Absolutely. They put together a great plan, and have delivered on it, in terms of high quality coaching outputs. I certainly wouldn't argue that point.

Y'see that's all well and good, but it's the money being spent at senior IC that really warps things. Dublin are good at underage, but not the unbeatable force they are at senior. So their advantages only tend to amplify as they move up the grades. On top of reigning in Dublin's money you need to have proper limits on backroom teams, IC preparation spending and even training (beyond the piss-weak 'don't train in the off-season' that the managers circumvent anyways), in my opinion. Dublin have created an unsustainable arms race at senior with counties like Mayo, Kerry and Kildare in the past spending insane amounts of money over and under the table to try to match their opponents' professional set-up.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 12:52:22 PM
and from speaking to someone at the itme in croker, no other county out together anything within an asses roar of that standard of application or planning

I'd believe it. there's no doubt the whole country was caught on the hop at the time.

TheOptimist

Its a catch 22. Dublin's success brings more sponsors to the table as they have such a big support base. If something was done to make other counties more competitive and Dublin were less successful the sponsorship income would diminish also.

Rossfan

one other big point in the funding debate, is that John Costello prepared the blue prints, put the business case together etc to show how the money was to be spent,
Most Counties can't afford to hire chaps with his expertise.
Time for the Central GAA to pay full time Secretary/Administrator for all the small Counties perhaps. Such people would help Co Boards to develop their own blueprints and also oversee the use of fairly allocated €€€€s to ensure they weren't blown on Mercenary Senior IC managers etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smokin Joe

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 20, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 12:52:22 PM

I'd believe it. there's no doubt the whole country was caught on the hop at the time.

Was it ever published or put in the public domain?

I coach U10 football for a rural Armagh club and our local primary school gets about just 6 hours per year GAA coaching. 
I can absolutely see how the employment of half a dozen full time coaches who either go round the schools or visit the clubs would benefit the skills of younger players.  Having the maximum number of kids playing and improving their skills is so important in feeding how they our team will field at adult level in 10 years time.  This then also will have a knock on impact at county level.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 20, 2017, 12:55:18 PM

Y'see that's all well and good, but it's the money being spent at senior IC that really warps things. Dublin are good at underage, but not the unbeatable force they are at senior. So their advantages only tend to amplify as they move up the grades. On top of reigning in Dublin's money you need to have proper limits on backroom teams, IC preparation spending and even training (beyond the piss-weak 'don't train in the off-season' that the managers circumvent anyways), in my opinion. Dublin have created an unsustainable arms race at senior with counties like Mayo, Kerry and Kildare in the past spending insane amounts of money over and under the table to try to match their opponents' professional set-up.

how much are Dublin spending as opposed to other counties ??? I tell you Syf your beloved Roscommon are spending more on the manager coach and selectors than Dublin are with we the taxpayer basically underwriting their main benefactor for many years and some other lad from San Franciso pumping in a fortune also

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 03:12:15 PM

how much are Dublin spending as opposed to other counties ??? I tell you Syf your beloved Roscommon are spending more on the manager coach and selectors than Dublin are with we the taxpayer basically underwriting their main benefactor for many years and some other lad from San Franciso pumping in a fortune also

Ah yeah, Roscommon is flush with cash and everything you said is true and not half-invented whataboutry - http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/sport/50-sport/money-owed-a-major-problem-gaa-treasurer

You can try to distract from the money Dublin is using to warp IC competition into nothing more than a race for second place but no one here will be failing for that nonsense.

Orchard park

is a Nama survivor and a high profile yank not bankrolling the management in Roscommon Syferus ???

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 03:27:11 PM
is a Nama survivor and a high profile yank not bankrolling the management in Roscommon Syferus ???

Click the fûcking link. Keep on topic, I know it seems to be a sore point for you.

magpie seanie

I believe (open to correction) that if a player is paid for endorsing something the money goes into a central pool to be divided out among the other panellists. Is this true? I seems to remember this.

That being the case the principle is already there. Would AIG be paying Dublin such big sponsorship if they had no one to play against? Same way as the star player wouldn't be a star if he had no team mates.

If this change was made I'd say expenditure should be monitored centrally so the money is not blown. If a cogent, workable, costed plan is not submitted the money is not released.

shark

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2017, 03:34:00 PM
I believe (open to correction) that if a player is paid for endorsing something the money goes into a central pool to be divided out among the other panellists. Is this true? I seems to remember this.

That being the case the principle is already there. Would AIG be paying Dublin such big sponsorship if they had no one to play against? Same way as the star player wouldn't be a star if he had no team mates.

If this change was made I'd say expenditure should be monitored centrally so the money is not blown. If a cogent, workable, costed plan is not submitted the money is not released.

That's the way on the Dublin panel alright. It's not 100% of what they get paid, but it's more than 50%. Think the money goes towards their panel fund. Good team building initiative.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 20, 2017, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 03:27:11 PM

Click the fûcking link. Keep on topic, I know it seems to be a sore point for you.

no sore point , you seem to be the resident Rossie expert here even if your views dont match those Rossies I know.... i'm asking the question who pays McStay and Maughan, David Joyce etc or will it appear in the 2017 roscommon accounts. its very much on topic you claim financial impropriety in Dublin and I am arguing the Dublin mgmt team earn less than roscommon and roscommon arent getting much in return unless you really value an out dated provincial title

TheGreatest

Quote from: Syferus on September 20, 2017, 03:22:14 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 03:12:15 PM

Ah yeah, Roscommon is flush with cash and everything you said is true and not half-invented whataboutry - http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/sport/50-sport/money-owed-a-major-problem-gaa-treasurer

You can try to distract from the money Dublin is using to warp IC competition into nothing more than a race for second place but no one here will be failing for that nonsense.

David O'Connor of Club Rossie made a very strong defence of the use of the bus saying that it was a very important promotional tool for Roscommon GAA and that it's worth and benefit far outweighed any negatives.

Promotional tool, not beneficial to teams no.