Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Great piece on Ronan McNamee in today's Irish News.

redhandofgod

Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 10:36:35 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on November 21, 2019, 10:15:41 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 09:47:37 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on November 21, 2019, 08:46:47 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 08:19:24 PM
Given that the advanced mark is coming in this year in Championship I am surprised we haven't brought in Ryan Coleman to have a look at him. We don't have many real standout target man forwards in the county right now. McNulty seems to have went really well over the club Championship but you'd have severe questions over his fitness given his past injury problems.

Not sure on this post but is McShane not the best equipped Target man in the county at the moment ? How many target men do you need.

Hopefully Donnelly gets back fit and we can leave him inside, I think I'd try Peter Harte inside with McShane for the league and maybe play Sludden from deeper as both struggled last year when we tinkered with our style. I do think we need to start with more of a scoring threat this year.

More than one I would assume.

You will win nothing with 1 target man. Any injury or double marking and your attacking threat is gone

I wouldn't mind seeing a side along the lines of this during the league:

-------------------------------Morgan

Rafferty--------------------McNamee-----------------R Brennan

Cassidy---------------------Sludden------------------K McGeary

-------------------R Donnelly-------Kennedy

Mulgrew--------------------Coney---------------------Meyler

Bradley------------------McShane----------------------Harte

I'd like to see Harte and McShane left inside for the most part, obviously Harte will have the inclination to drift out from time to time which is fine. I don't know if Coney has the legs for this level but I'd like to see him be given a run of games to prove himself, he certainly has qualities that no other player in our squad has, we should allow him to roam around around the 45 and midfield area and see if he can get on the ball and influence the game. I think Bradley is best utilised scheming out around the 45 too where he will get more space. I think his best season with Tyrone was 2015 when he was playing a playmaker and had some great games, particularly the semi final v Kerry.

I think we have made some subtle changes in the past two years to make us a bit more attacking but I think we need to commit more and leave two men inside and two outlets on the 45 for us too. Hoping Mulgrew can stay fit and healthy as he could be a good option at wing forward who can get through a power of work and also capable of chipping in with some scores.

With Hampsey rumoured to miss the league and Donnelly definitely out of it, it will allow certain players to put their hands up as go to men. Need another guy to come out and show himself as a leader, Hampsey did it in 2018, McShane this year, we need another player to really bring on their game next year.

No Frank Burns?????

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: toby47 on November 22, 2019, 09:44:55 AM

Probably should have kept the drink driving thing to himself.

PeterEli

Excellent article, it just goes to show you never know what goes on with lads. You see fellas lambasting players on here with no regards to what is going on behind the scenes, particularly with regards boys walking away from squads, at that stage in someones life football just might not be for them. - on that note for some boys football and team environment can be an escape.

Anyway, brilliant article on Ronan, complete honesty and you can see what a genuine fella he is with respect for those around him, particularly his Mother and Father. Hopefully reading his story can be a light at the end of the tunnel for someone reading.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 10:36:35 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on November 21, 2019, 10:15:41 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 09:47:37 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on November 21, 2019, 08:46:47 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 21, 2019, 08:19:24 PM
Given that the advanced mark is coming in this year in Championship I am surprised we haven't brought in Ryan Coleman to have a look at him. We don't have many real standout target man forwards in the county right now. McNulty seems to have went really well over the club Championship but you'd have severe questions over his fitness given his past injury problems.

Not sure on this post but is McShane not the best equipped Target man in the county at the moment ? How many target men do you need.

Hopefully Donnelly gets back fit and we can leave him inside, I think I'd try Peter Harte inside with McShane for the league and maybe play Sludden from deeper as both struggled last year when we tinkered with our style. I do think we need to start with more of a scoring threat this year.

More than one I would assume.

You will win nothing with 1 target man. Any injury or double marking and your attacking threat is gone

I wouldn't mind seeing a side along the lines of this during the league:

-------------------------------Morgan

Rafferty--------------------McNamee-----------------R Brennan

Cassidy---------------------Sludden------------------K McGeary

-------------------R Donnelly-------Kennedy

Mulgrew--------------------Coney---------------------Meyler

Bradley------------------McShane----------------------Harte

I'd like to see Harte and McShane left inside for the most part, obviously Harte will have the inclination to drift out from time to time which is fine. I don't know if Coney has the legs for this level but I'd like to see him be given a run of games to prove himself, he certainly has qualities that no other player in our squad has, we should allow him to roam around around the 45 and midfield area and see if he can get on the ball and influence the game. I think Bradley is best utilised scheming out around the 45 too where he will get more space. I think his best season with Tyrone was 2015 when he was playing a playmaker and had some great games, particularly the semi final v Kerry.

I think we have made some subtle changes in the past two years to make us a bit more attacking but I think we need to commit more and leave two men inside and two outlets on the 45 for us too. Hoping Mulgrew can stay fit and healthy as he could be a good option at wing forward who can get through a power of work and also capable of chipping in with some scores.

With Hampsey rumoured to miss the league and Donnelly definitely out of it, it will allow certain players to put their hands up as go to men. Need another guy to come out and show himself as a leader, Hampsey did it in 2018, McShane this year, we need another player to really bring on their game next year.
Morgan
Quinn McNammee Grimes
Cassidy Brennan Rafferty
Conn/Richie/Kennedy
Meyler Sludden McGeary
Peter Harte McShane Bradley/McCurry
Is what I would like to see. Give the 3 in midfield plenty of opportunities with different combinations to see. From what I saw last year none of our options in there have 70 minutes in them.
Grimes and Quinn most potential of new recruits after Conn and I would like to see them get as much time as possible to develop. Probably not big championship contributors this year but will be in the future. Your more experienced players like Meyler and McGeart can obviously be rotated with McKernan, Burns and so on.
Would like  to see Harte close to goal and playing off McShane, would remove the idea of stopping him from playing to which happens to often when he's out the field.

Taylor

Agree - very well written piece.
Great lad

Honda300

Has aidan mccrory still his place on the tyrone squad

Angelo

Was not aware of the whole thing with McNamee, great to see that he got on top of those things and his parents, particularly his mother seems like an absolute saint.

Mickey Harte takes a serious amount of flak from outsiders and sadly from people inside this county but there's plenty of examples like McNamee where he has dealt with very troubled people extremely well and helped them get their lives back on track.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

WeGoAgain

Is anyone able to share the article on McNamee?

Tyrone Gaa

See Horse has been linked or added to the Slaughtneil management team. This can't sit well with the county board who set him up with a nice full time position while he helps ruin the county set up now he's off taking another salary!! Questions have to be asked.
Living the dream!!!

Angelo

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 23, 2019, 12:17:56 PM
See Horse has been linked or added to the Slaughtneil management team. This can't sit well with the county board who set him up with a nice full time position while he helps ruin the county set up now he's off taking another salary!! Questions have to be asked.

Unless it impacts on his role or the agreed time he is able to give to it then I don't see the issue.

I wouldn't be too comfortable with the whole widespread practice of lads making a mint out of their services for coaching GAA sides which is a major problem across every county in the country at the minute though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Moonshine

The question that really needs answered is what actually has he done in 12 months of his role?? Absolutely nothing all the good work daly done is gone now

Jim Bob

Quote from: Moonshine on November 24, 2019, 10:46:12 AM
The question that really needs answered is what actually has he done in 12 months of his role?? Absolutely nothing all the good work daly done is gone now

What good work is gone now ?

inroundthesquare

GAA Master Fixtures released today.

Sun 26 Jan 2pm Omagh - Tyrone v Meath
Sun 2 Feb 2pm Castleblayney - Monaghan v Tyrone
Sun 9 Feb 2pm Omagh - Tyrone v Kerry
Sun 23 Feb 2pm Tuam - Galway v Tyrone
Sat 29 Feb 7.15pm Omagh - Tyrone v Dublin
Sat 14 Mar 7pm Ballybofey - Donegal v Tyrone
Sun 22 Mar 2pm Castlebar - Mayo v Tyrone

Sun 17 May Ulster Quarter Final (Ballybofey) - Donegal v Tyrone
Sat 30 / Sun 31 May Ulster Semi Final - Donegal/Tyrone v Derry/Armagh
Sun 21 June - Ulster Final

Sat 20 June - Qualifier Preliminary Round
Sat 27 June - Qualifier Round 1
Sat 4 July / Sun 5 July - Qualifier Round 2

Sat 11 July / Sun 12 July - Super 8s R1
Sat 18 July / Sun 19 July - Super 8s R2 (2 winners in first Super 8 game play each other, and 2 losers play each other)
Sat 1 Aug / Sun 2 Aug - Super 8s R3

Sat 8 Aug / Sun 9 Aug - All-Ireland Semi Finals

Sun 30 Aug - All-Ireland Final

Big change from last year for us is the Tier 2 taking away 2 rounds of Qualifiers.. the loser of the Donegal-Tyrone game will likely have to wait 6 weeks for their next Championship game, then will have to play 4 weeks in a row, and 6 times in 7 weeks if they are to make the AI Final