The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2019, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 27, 2019, 09:59:17 AM
The Dub fans on the train or however they got there got how many minutes?

They had to show the once off novelty factor that it is for Dublin fans to travel to games. Can you imagine that segment done on any other county?
its a wonder they don't show them getting getting off the Luas

easytiger95

Quote from: BennyCake on May 27, 2019, 10:40:23 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 27, 2019, 10:13:55 AM
I actually liked that MOTD2 style Dubs on the train, but why are we doing this epic intro on top of that.

Also we know it's 40 years old but surely we can get a clip of Wexford in Leinster action rather than looking back on their All Ireland befpre a round robin game?

Those poetic promos with lots of slo-mos are a bore at this stage.

Ah Jesus, they do my head in, those things.

+1000

Badly written, sloppily edited, poorly performed. Complete waste of time, as was the Dubs on the train -

"So, do you think the Dubs will do 5 in a row?"
"Ah, yeah."
"And what will you do then?"
"Get locked".
"Ha, ha, ha, good man, good man....hmm....what station are we at? ....Any sign of Portlaoise yet?.....Jaysis, Iarnroid Eireann are a shambles, wha?....Turn off the camera there....Please....turn it off!"

Dubs intend getting scoobied when we do 5 in a row. Hardly the third secret of Fatima.

RTE spending money on this, thinking that editorially it was worth anything, on one of the busiest weekends in the provincial championships. Now there is a mystery.

From the Bunker

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 27, 2019, 11:59:19 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 27, 2019, 10:40:23 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 27, 2019, 10:13:55 AM
I actually liked that MOTD2 style Dubs on the train, but why are we doing this epic intro on top of that.

Also we know it's 40 years old but surely we can get a clip of Wexford in Leinster action rather than looking back on their All Ireland befpre a round robin game?

Those poetic promos with lots of slo-mos are a bore at this stage.

Ah Jesus, they do my head in, those things.

+1000

Badly written, sloppily edited, poorly performed. Complete waste of time, as was the Dubs on the train -

"So, do you think the Dubs will do 5 in a row?"
"Ah, yeah."
"And what will you do then?"
"Get locked".
"Ha, ha, ha, good man, good man....hmm....what station are we at? ....Any sign of Portlaoise yet?.....Jaysis, Iarnroid Eireann are a shambles, wha?....Turn off the camera there....Please....turn it off!"

Dubs intend getting scoobied when we do 5 in a row. Hardly the third secret of Fatima.

RTE spending money on this, thinking that editorially it was worth anything, on one of the busiest weekends in the provincial championships. Now there is a mystery.

In fairness it is a rare occurrence, so RTE thought it might be nice to cover the novelty of Dublin fans on the Road for a championship game. 

Sportacus

Brolly was spot on calling out Gallagher's ridiculous tactics and the ongoing fragility of the Mayo footballers.  He is sanctimonious, but key points needed saying.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Sportacus on May 27, 2019, 06:37:36 PM
Brolly was spot on calling out Gallagher's ridiculous tactics and the ongoing fragility of the Mayo footballers.  He is sanctimonious, but key points needed saying.

He calls out their fragility but reckons sports psychology is nonsense. The mans a walking oxymoron.

From the Bunker

Gallagher's ridiculous tactics were the reason Fermanagh beat Monaghan last year.

Sportacus

His point was that they offered nothing to Gaelic football. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sportacus on May 27, 2019, 07:02:53 PM

They offer hope to Gaelic football followers in Fermanagh.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Sportacus on May 27, 2019, 07:02:53 PM

They don't have to. They just have to do what's in their own interest.

Sportacus

I'd love to meet a Fermanagh family who were inspired by that muck. Brolly also made the point that Fermanagh have excellent footballers who are capable of so much more.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI'm an avid GAA fan and an avid watcher of The Sunday Game and I'm fully aware that no one can please all of the people all of the time but I do have some observations about last Sunday's edition (May 26th).

You covered four Leinster quarter-finals in football. The entire package on the Laois/Westmeath match was 2 mins 44 secs. The Kildare/Longford package was 3 mins 40 secs. The Carlow/Meath package was 4 mins 53 secs and the Dublin/Louth package was 7 mins 6 secs.

Quite a disparity and, given that Dublin will progress through to late summer while most, if not all, of the other teams in Leinster will have one or two more outings maximum, would it not be worthwhile giving the weight of time to those teams before they disappear from the championship?

And, please, don't fob me off with the notion that because the first two matches mentioned were on Sunday you had a shortage of editing time!

Part of the Dublin/Louth package was a piece on Dublin fans travelling to Portlaoise - less than an hour down the road - as if it were a trip to Antarctica. What about the fans who travel throughout the summer to Croke Park for Dublin's plethora of (effectively) home games?

Stolen from the Kildare Forum
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 27, 2019, 06:41:51 PM

He calls out their fragility but reckons sports psychology is nonsense. The mans a walking oxymoron.
They don't have the forwards basically
You can't swap psychology for scoring forwards
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2019, 11:51:51 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 27, 2019, 06:41:51 PM

They don't have the forwards basically
You can't swap psychology for scoring forwards

Brolly want them to play gung-ho, Take a tanking, and then hold his hands broadly up in the air and say there is a need for a second tier with the gap there is among teams.

trailer

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2019, 11:02:00 AM
QuoteI'm an avid GAA fan and an avid watcher of The Sunday Game and I'm fully aware that no one can please all of the people all of the time but I do have some observations about last Sunday's edition (May 26th).

You covered four Leinster quarter-finals in football. The entire package on the Laois/Westmeath match was 2 mins 44 secs. The Kildare/Longford package was 3 mins 40 secs. The Carlow/Meath package was 4 mins 53 secs and the Dublin/Louth package was 7 mins 6 secs.

Quite a disparity and, given that Dublin will progress through to late summer while most, if not all, of the other teams in Leinster will have one or two more outings maximum, would it not be worthwhile giving the weight of time to those teams before they disappear from the championship?

And, please, don't fob me off with the notion that because the first two matches mentioned were on Sunday you had a shortage of editing time!

Part of the Dublin/Louth package was a piece on Dublin fans travelling to Portlaoise - less than an hour down the road - as if it were a trip to Antarctica. What about the fans who travel throughout the summer to Croke Park for Dublin's plethora of (effectively) home games?

Why did he want to watch more of those games? Was it part of his penance from confessions?

Seriously I argue that teams who play games at their own level that they know they can win would abandon negative defensive tactics and go out to score and win. That's the issue. Teams play defensively not to get stuffed but play attacking football to win.
Leinster would benefit, Fermanagh would Benefit and TV would benefit. The games would be more attractive and more people would want to watch them.

From the Bunker

Quote from: trailer on May 31, 2019, 12:46:09 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 31, 2019, 11:02:00 AM

Why did he want to watch more of those games? Was it part of his penance from confessions?

Seriously I argue that teams who play games at their own level that they know they can win would abandon negative defensive tactics and go out to score and win. That's the issue. Teams play defensively not to get stuffed but play attacking football to win.
Leinster would benefit, Fermanagh would Benefit and TV would benefit. The games would be more attractive and more people would want to watch them.

There are a plethora of Round one game in the back door with teams of a similar level playing each other, a almost mirror image of a 2nd tier championship. And Nobody cares. There will be no live TV and the crowds will be small.