Premier League 2017/18

Started by heganboy, July 19, 2017, 04:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Watching highlights of big European games between a.c. Milan and Marseille on a Wed night

Milltown Row2

the dreaded teleprinter, i remember doing a bet with Eastwoods (another blast from the past), the 2 from each section part, 10 teams would have got you minimum of £1500 quid or so (depending on the odds it could have been more, but never less) and all the teams were up on the teleprinter, only waiting on one team who on the last call of the video printer were winning one nil.. Morton v Brechin I think, anyways last of the teleprinter came in and all good, went to Classifieds and of course they were a scottish league one game so nearly at the end, i'd my bet counted up only to see the feckers had scored a goal to level it!

As you say, football is completely over the top now... I turn it over at halftime if watching and only watch the football as the pundits are full of crap
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Vidiprinter was great. Agonising to wait for. We've become used to always knowing every minute detail of games as it happens. I find myself if I've been busy and missed some results, I avoid news reports/internet and watch highlights without knowing results. I think part of me is rebelling against all this wall to wall coverage of every match.

ONeill

Quote from: Boycey on January 02, 2018, 02:36:12 PM
Anyone that's up to nothing much today BT are currently showing highlights of FA Cup Finals from the late 70s/early 80s back to back...

I can replay every game from then in my mind, who scored, the context, even the build up from 9AM on the telly :) but I'd struggle to name you the finals of the last 10 years,thats how much Sky and the like has desensitised us to football. God be with the days of watching highlights of mid week matches on a Wed night not knowing who'd won or spending your Sat afternoon listening to a poor reception on radio 2 and if your game wasn't the commentary game praying that when they went over to your ground it was for a goal to your side. The teleprinter was a torture too in my mind it always flashed up 'Liverpool 1-0 Rush (90)'

After writing all that I suppose a good few of you are too young to remember those halcyon days :)

Agree. I used to be able to recite all Grand National winners going back 15-20 years.

Something changes. Maybe it's age and wising up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Boycey

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2018, 05:51:12 PM
Anyone that's up to nothing much today BT are currently showing highlights of FA Cup Finals from the late 70s/early 80s back to back...

I can replay every game from then in my mind, who scored, the context, even the build up from 9AM on the telly :) but I'd struggle to name you the finals of the last 10 years,thats how much Sky and the like has desensitised us to football. God be with the days of watching highlights of mid week matches on a Wed night not knowing who'd won or spending your Sat afternoon listening to a poor reception on radio 2 and if your game wasn't the commentary game praying that when they went over to your ground it was for a goal to your side. The teleprinter was a torture too in my mind it always flashed up 'Liverpool 1-0 Rush (90)'

After writing all that I suppose a good few of you are too young to remember those halcyon days :)

Agree. I used to be able to recite all Grand National winners going back 15-20 years.

I think it's more 'What's seldom is wonderful' I'm as mad about sport as I was when I was a little kid but it's all in front of you now (which is great too) but it tends to make you blaize about it.

ONeill

It's the same with chocolate at Christmas.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: Boycey on January 02, 2018, 06:21:51 PM

I think it's more 'What's seldom is wonderful' I'm as mad about sport as I was when I was a little kid but it's all in front of you now (which is great too) but it tends to make you blaize about it.
Any sport in which Sky was involved has been promoted to death .  Darts is a really obvious  example.
Heavy duty sports PR stimulates dopamine in the brain but after a while the effect wears off and it is Huddersfield versus Brighton in the rain.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on January 02, 2018, 06:49:27 PM

Any sport in which Sky was involved has been promoted to death .  Darts is a really obvious  example.
Heavy duty sports PR stimulates dopamine in the brain but after a while the effect wears off and it is Huddersfield versus Brighton in the rain.

GAA is the same. There's far too many games. Highlights hide alot of drab shite.

thewobbler

To be honest i reckon it's ITV that's killing darts, not Sky. The world championship (at the Ally) and premier league made it brilliant viewing. The weekly open in seemingly the exact same venue but a different country, which inevitably sees MvG beat Wright 10-5 in the final, is ITV's forte.

BennyCake

Shane Long has scored a goal.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Targetman

Quote from: BennyCake on January 02, 2018, 09:02:39 PM
Shane Long has scored a goal.

Yes, you read that correctly.
That'll be his goal for the year!

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on January 02, 2018, 07:19:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 02, 2018, 06:49:27 PM

GAA is the same. There's far too many games. Highlights hide alot of drab shite.
Attendances are very worrying and saying the same thing.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Never beat the deeler

Some turnaround for Palace - only one loss in the last 10, 2-3 home to Arsenal.

Lost the first 4 before Roy took over, theh he had a tough start, losing the first 5 including ManU, Citeh and Chelsea.

Since then P13 W5, D7, L1
Hasta la victoria siempre

Gold

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on January 03, 2018, 12:23:03 AM

Lost the first 4 before Roy took over, theh he had a tough start, losing the first 5 including ManU, Citeh and Chelsea.

Defi

Didnt they start by not scoring in about 7 matches....great turnaround
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

mrdeeds

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on January 03, 2018, 12:23:03 AM

They bet Chelsea.