Is there anything that people in RoI won't take to court?

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 27, 2017, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I just encountered one I had never seen before. Larger woman, appeared to be early 30s. She got the preferred boarding on my flight this afternoon as she had a walking stick. Fair enough, no problem. I was behind her and we got to the front of the plane and she took her seat and folded her cane up and into her bag. Grand. Flight deplanes and I walked about a quarter of a mile behind her out to the ride share area and she had no limp, no stick, and no sign of slowing down at all.

gallsman

There's definitely an element of a culture, particularly when it comes to personal injury. A couple of years ago, a girl ran into the back of me while I was stopped at the Merrion gates. She "thought I was moving off" even though the lights were still red while we were both standing chatting outside the cars, so she sorry of jumped into me from a standing start. Enough to feel it but very minor. Fairly sure she was on her phone. My girlfriend and was with me and we both got a jolt but no pain at all. My case was a 16 year old Almera that ended up being written off and when making the assessment, the loss adjuster from her insurance company couldn't believe we weren't claiming for PI. Told me there and then there was a minimum five grand in it for both of us, no questions asked.

Jell 0 Biafra

I'm a bit puzzled about the bedbugs one in the original list.  If the bedbugs don't hitch a ride from the hotel to your own home, then it's just a bugbite.  No different from being bitten by a mosquito really (except with no chance of disease as a result).  There's no actual harm done, unless you count itchiness.

Maybe the hotel just wanted to avoid bad publicity?

T Fearon

To answer the original question.Yes,Bankers,drunk drivers in the know,etc

LeoMc

They were talking about similar on The Last Word the other day. There was a Doctor on talking about how whiplash appeared to be a peculiarly Irish injury with nowhere the same levels elsewhere.

seafoid

Other countries insist on personal insurance. Car insurance is very expensive because of a) dangerous driving and b) the compo culture. The insurance mechanism isn't supposed to spread the cost of mendacious behaviour across the population of people who observe the rules. And there is no table of claim amounts agreed upon by the courts and the insurers. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on April 28, 2017, 12:37:37 AM
I just encountered one I had never seen before. Larger woman, appeared to be early 30s. She got the preferred boarding on my flight this afternoon as she had a walking stick. Fair enough, no problem. I was behind her and we got to the front of the plane and she took her seat and folded her cane up and into her bag. Grand. Flight deplanes and I walked about a quarter of a mile behind her out to the ride share area and she had no limp, no stick, and no sign of slowing down at all.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. You can't diagnose people just by looking at them. How can you tell how much pain they're in?

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/08/391517412/people-with-invisible-disabilities-fight-for-understanding

Quote"You know, it's that invisible nature of an illness that people don't understand," says Wayne Connell, the founder and head of the Invisible Disabilities Association. He started the group after his wife was diagnosed with Lyme disease and multiple sclerosis.

"We'd park in disabled parking and she didn't use a wheelchair or a cane, and so people would always give us dirty looks and scream at us," he recalls.

So people live their lives in constant pain or with other terrible conditions, but then have to deal with the double indignity of judgmental abuse from people who neither know what they're talking about nor mind their own business. I don't envy them.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 28, 2017, 06:01:21 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. You can't diagnose people just by looking at them. How can you tell how much pain they're in?

"You know, it's that invisible nature of an illness that people don't understand," says Wayne Connell, the founder and head of the Invisible Disabilities Association. He started the group after his wife was diagnosed with Lyme disease and multiple sclerosis.

"We'd park in disabled parking and she didn't use a wheelchair or a cane, and so people would always give us dirty looks and scream at us," he recalls.

So people live their lives in constant pain or with other terrible conditions, but then have to deal with the double indignity of judgmental abuse from people who neither know what they're talking about nor mind their own business. I don't envy them.

I have an invisible disability as I have fibromyalgia, i.e. chronic muscle pain and debilitating fatigue, but cases like those outlined by Puckoon make me particularly cross because they are fairly obvious examples of people making out that they are ill to gain advantage, ranging from simple queue jumping to those outlined in the court cases above.  Many like me live with our conditions and I would never consider using it to gain an advantage but I do see those using blue badges of relatives or even without blue badges parking in disable bays. 

Eamonnca1

Sorry, but from the way Puck described it, it was entirely possible that the lady had some sort of invisible disability. Some people are able to walk or even run for a certain distance without a cane, but after that they're in agony. Some wheelchair users are even able to step out of the thing once in a while.  Every case is different.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Puckoon

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 28, 2017, 09:47:07 PM
Sorry, but from the way Puck described it, it was entirely possible that the lady had some sort of invisible disability. Some people are able to walk or even run for a certain distance without a cane, but after that they're in agony. Some wheelchair users are even able to step out of the thing once in a while.  Every case is different.

Alright Alright - I'll give you that it raised my eyebrows and I wondered if there was a manipulation at play - but I wasn't being particularly judgemental, it's not like I was outraged!

It is entirely possible that she had an issue that caused her no pain at all as she disembarked a 3 hour flight and hoofed it through the terminal. It's maybe equally as possible that she didn't.

Malingering is a real thing - hence the thread.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Puckoon on May 10, 2017, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 28, 2017, 09:47:07 PM

Alright Alright - I'll give you that it raised my eyebrows and I wondered if there was a manipulation at play - but I wasn't being particularly judgemental, it's not like I was outraged!

It is entirely possible that she had an issue that caused her no pain at all as she disembarked a 3 hour flight and hoofed it through the terminal. It's maybe equally as possible that she didn't.

Malingering is a real thing - hence the thread.
She was probably just a fat ****
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you