The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 22, 2018, 01:32:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 22, 2018, 01:28:27 PM
Kavanaugh is an extremist anyway. If Roe v Wade goes the GOP will lose a lot of female voters on top of all the blue collar folks it is shafting.

When he was forst nominated I heard several people say hed have a hard time getting through

There were plenty of other people he could have nominated

Roe is going down no matter who they put forward.

And there will be a backlash to THAT in years to come.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 22, 2018, 01:35:51 PM
Kavanaugh is an extremist anyway. If Roe v Wade goes the GOP will lose a lot of female voters on top of all the blue collar folks it is shafting.

When he was forst nominated I heard several people say hed have a hard time getting through

So whoever Trump puts forward will be unacceptable......thats the type of attitude that has us in this place to begin with

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on September 22, 2018, 01:39:23 PM

So whoever Trump puts forward will be unacceptable......thats the type of attitude that has us in this place to begin with
The GOP isn't anywhere near the centre these days. Even Nixon was closer than Trump is. Imagine today's GOP doing something about climate change
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Wasn't airing an attitude, just making a prediction! Do you see it differently?

Roe is overturned, half the states ban abortion, throw in all the over stuff that will follow Kavanaugh's appointment - environmental protections, worker protections, consumer protections, racial/minority issues etc.

Suddenly the left becomes awakened to what the Supreme Court (and lower courts) means in US society and why it has been such a major plank of the conservative movement for the past 40 years.

Edit: I would add, on the no one being acceptable bit, that Trump is putting up judges chosen by the Federalist Society. There are no moderates, in terms of judicial and political philosophy, on that list. Obama nominated Garland, way more moderate than Sotameyer, for example,  in an attempt to meet the GOP at least a little bit of the way given their preemptive announcement that there would be no consideration given to him anyway. Trump would never countenance that, nor would he be allowed to. And that's fine. His and his administration's and party's choice. But you can't expect the Dems and left to just roll over and not react to what these nominees mean, especially once their rulings start to take effect.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 12:29:07 PM

Roe is overturned, half the states ban abortion, throw in all the over stuff that will follow Kavanaugh's appointment - environmental protections, worker protections, consumer protections, racial/minority issues etc.

Suddenly the left becomes awakened to what the Supreme Court (and lower courts) means in US society and why it has been such a major plank of the conservative movement for the past 40 years.

Edit: I would add, on the no one being acceptable bit, that Trump is putting up judges chosen by the Federalist Society. There are no moderates, in terms of judicial and political philosophy, on that list. Obama nominated Garland, way more moderate than Sotameyer, for example,  in an attempt to meet the GOP at least a little bit of the way given their preemptive announcement that there would be no consideration given to him anyway. Trump would never countenance that, nor would he be allowed to. And that's fine. His and his administration's and party's choice. But you can't expect the Dems and left to just roll over and not react to what these nominees mean, especially once their rulings start to take effect.
J70

It's basically war between the GOP and the Dems. McConnell refused to follow procedure over Garland and he changed the voting target from 2/3 to a simple majority in order to set up a conservative majority for the next 30 years.

If Roe v Wade goes the GOP will lose a lot of female voters.

whitey

Republicans stole a seat from Obama and now the Democrats are attempting to steal a seat from Trump.  The whole thing is a fvckin debacle

I love the way Republicans painted Garland as an extremist and yet, his and Kavanaughs voting records are almost identical

I love the way Democrats paint Kavanaugh as an extremist and yet, his and Garlands voting records are almost identical

All Democrats I know absolutely believe all of the allegations against Kavanaugh.

All Republicans I know absolutely believe the allegations against Kavanaugh are a dirty trick

LeoMc

Quote from: Gmac on September 22, 2018, 02:17:12 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 21, 2018, 08:34:02 AM
Quote from: Gmac on September 21, 2018, 05:20:17 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 20, 2018, 02:35:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojgum7H7g8w
let's see how this movie does , bet its a flop people are sick of hypocrites like mike and his comrades

Yes as demonstrated by Nike's increased sale this past 2 weeks.

But keep burning your sneakers there gmac you've already bought them so Nike couldn't care less but at least it makes you feel better!
the irony  Kaepernick making lots of money for the old white men shareholders the dumbass probably doesn't even realize it .
Why would that bother him?

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 24, 2018, 01:51:43 PM

Republicans stole a seat from Obama and now the Democrats are attempting to steal a seat from Trump.  The whole thing is a fvckin debacle

I love the way Republicans painted Garland as an extremist and yet, his and Kavanaughs voting records are almost identical

I love the way Democrats paint Kavanaugh as an extremist and yet, his and Garlands voting records are almost identical

All Democrats I know absolutely believe all of the allegations against Kavanaugh.

All Republicans I know absolutely believe the allegations against Kavanaugh are a dirty trick

Personally, I would lean towards the allegations being true, in that I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would put themselves through the trauma of being such as accuser if they weren't true.

But... that is not the same as proof.

Society is just starting to reckon with the fall out from women finally saying "f**k you" to powerful sc**bag behaviour.  Plenty more careers are going to stall or end. Kavanaugh will probably be saved, career-wise, by politics, but I'd imagine this will take a serious personal toll.

In the judicial records, I'd say a lot of that is down to the uncontroversial, mundane nature of much of the caseload.

whitey

So Kavanaugh who has passed 6 in depth FBI background checks throughout his career is now accused of misconduct 35 years ago.

Neither accuser has ONE corrobarating witnesses to these misdeeds and all persons mentioned as possibly present when the attacks took place (both male and female) have all come out and said they never happened

As Harry Reid famously said when he lied about Mitt Romney on the Senate floor......"I don't  regret it at all.....Romney didn't wing, did he?

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 24, 2018, 03:37:15 PM
So Kavanaugh who has passed 6 in depth FBI background checks throughout his career is now accused of misconduct 35 years ago.

Neither accuser has ONE corrobarating witnesses to these misdeeds and all persons mentioned as possibly present when the attacks took place (both male and female) have all come out and said they never happened

As Harry Reid famously said when he lied about Mitt Romney on the Senate floor......"I don't  regret it at all.....Romney didn't wing, did he?

So YOU think they're lying?

I've passed government background checks. While I don't have any sexual misconduct in my history, if I did,  I'm not sure how it would ever have come up in any such checks once there were no reports made to authorities. And even if there were, the handling of sexual misconduct by schools and universities, which, in the US, have usually kept this stuff in-house, is historically fraught with problems of victim blaming, "his word against hers" and general sweeping under the carpet.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 03:50:18 PM

I've passed government background checks. While I don't have any sexual misconduct in my history, if I did,  I'm not sure how it would ever have come up in any such checks once there were no reports made to authorities. And even if there were, the handling of sexual misconduct by schools and universities, which, in the US, have usually kept this stuff in-house, is historically fraught with problems of victim blaming, "his word against hers" and general sweeping under the carpet.

Yes.....and if the Democrats thought Dr Ford was credible, they'd have sunk Kavanaugh back in July when they got the letter

Edit: If Feinstein did not conceal the letter, and conceal the accusation from the entire committee I would find the allegations significantly more credible. This was a last second Hail Mary attempt to details the nomination

2nd edit: if either accuser had just ONE corroborating witness, I would say Kavanaugh should withdraw.  Both accusers names names, and all those identified as witnesses said neither event happened

seafoid

It's #metoo and POTUS is a sexual predator , Whitey
The US went down a strange rabbit hole.

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 24, 2018, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 03:50:18 PM

Yes.....and if the Democrats thought Dr Ford was credible, they'd have sunk Kavanaugh back in July when they got the letter

The mind boggles.

1. They couldn't in July because she wanted to remain anonymous.

2. You'll have to explain to me why Ford would do this, putting her career and reputation in jeopardy , as well as subjecting her and her loved ones to intense media scrutiny and physical threats, including death, which have driven her into hiding.

heganboy

Whitey,
My own limited experience has Republican men completely believe this is a trumped up charge.

On the other hand, Republican (very very Republican) women are not comfortable and are urging another conservative nomination asap in case of mid term calamity for the party. They fear that the blocking of Garland will mean that the Dems will hold off on approving any nominee on Trump term 1 ( of a likely 2)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

heganboy

Rosenstein out is not a good look for the GOP
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity