Martin O'Neill to Sunderland

Started by oakleaflad, December 02, 2011, 10:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

shows the desperate measures clubs will go to to stay up.

BartSimpson

Any1 who watched his brill Celtic side with H Larsson will tell you hes a gr8 manager. I agree No money or decent palyers the man cant work miracils.
guwan the parish

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: cadence on March 30, 2013, 10:25:01 PM

more often yhannot they dont though.
If you were a manager of a Cship side, why would you want to go up.Every year at leaat 2 of them get sacked.

look at the history :-

Nigel Adkins, Brian mcDermott, Neil Warnock, Bily Davies, Mick McCarthy etc etc

Whats the chances of Malky McKay being sacked by xmas ? (all ifs and buts included)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Minder

Quote from: BartSimpson on March 30, 2013, 10:26:23 PM
Any1 who watched his brill Celtic side with H Larsson will tell you hes a gr8 manager. I agree No money or decent palyers the man cant work miracils.

No money ?!
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

T Fearon

Was amazed O'Neill took this job in the first place.It could only have been out of a desperation to return to work as he'd been out of the game for nearly a year and a half.

No one,not Ferguson,Mourinho,or Guardiola even will make a silk purse out if a sow's ear,and at 61 you would have to think that Martin's career as a club manager is over now.

illdecide

I think there is no one like martin but have to agree with Shearer he picked up on something I noticed recently.  martin seemed very subdued recently and flat, even during interviews he was like he knew his time was up or things had been going on behind the scenes. ..strange one
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Quote from: T Fearon on March 30, 2013, 11:54:07 PM
Was amazed O'Neill took this job in the first place.It could only have been out of a desperation to return to work as he'd been out of the game for nearly a year and a half.

No one,not Ferguson,Mourinho,or Guardiola even will make a silk purse out if a sow's ear,and at 61 you would have to think that Martin's career as a club manager is over now.

He'll not be short of offers.

tyroneman

Decent manager. Not a great one.

Crazy decision with 7 games left? Probably.

Lets not pretend he didn't have money though.

Over £32mill spent this season compared to just over £15mill at Swansea for example.

laoislad

Quote from: Minder on March 30, 2013, 09:31:29 PM
Messiah Marty sacked

Overated anyway.
Next Free Irish republic manager?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

cadence

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 30, 2013, 10:36:29 PM
Quote from: cadence on March 30, 2013, 10:25:01 PM

more often yhannot they dont though.
If you were a manager of a Cship side, why would you want to go up.Every year at leaat 2 of them get sacked.

look at the history :-

Nigel Adkins, Brian mcDermott, Neil Warnock, Bily Davies, Mick McCarthy etc etc

Whats the chances of Malky McKay being sacked by xmas ? (all ifs and buts included)

i've always thought sunderland had a premiership squad, but they'll be very lucky to escape the drop this time. if they go down, they might end up like wolves, in freefall. hope they don't, always had a soft spot for them. shame it hasn't worked out because o'neill clearly was passionate about them and vice versa. they're turning into a manager killer club.

norabeag

O'Neills managing North & South? unity by steath?

norabeag

Quote from: T Fearon on March 30, 2013, 11:54:07 PM

Was he not a Sunderland fan as a youngster?

From the Bunker

O'Neill for Rep of Ireland chants will start again! Good man manager, might be just what we need! Not sure if he'd want the job, financially it's a drop down from the premiership.

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2013, 12:02:06 PM
O'Neill for Rep of Ireland chants will start again! Good man manager, might be just what we need! Not sure if he'd want the job, financially it's a drop down from the premiership.

He is 61, hardly going to be concerned at earning less. He would have got a nice pay off from Sunderland for the remainder of his contract.

The Worker

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 31, 2013, 12:32:04 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2013, 12:02:06 PM

He is 61, hardly going to be concerned at earning less. He would have got a nice pay off from Sunderland for the remainder of his contract.

Plus will be able to carry out more media duties with his free time.