Cheap Flights to America

Started by Off The Fence, September 03, 2008, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Has anyone ever used Phoenix Sky Harbour airport?

Looking at flying to Fresno in the new year and the best deals seem to be flying via it with US airways. (Dub-Philly-Phoenix-Fresno).

On the return route however the flight comparison sites and USairways.com have only allowed for 38 mins from landing in Phoenix and the flight to Philly. This seems ridiculously short but at the same time why would they advertise this if it wasn't possible? Anyone any experiences of similar?

joemamas

Quote from: gawa316 on November 23, 2011, 04:30:11 PM

Looking at flying to Fresno in the new year and the best deals seem to be flying via it with US airways. (Dub-Philly-Phoenix-Fresno).

On the return route however the flight comparison sites and USairways.com have only allowed for 38 mins from landing in Phoenix and the flight to Philly. This seems ridiculously short but at the same time why would they advertise this if it wasn't possible? Anyone any experiences of similar?

I know there are multiple terminals in Phoenix, almost got caught once as there are only bus transfers. Even though It is same airline, sounds very tight. Dont check a bag in.

Tyrones own

Quote from: gawa316 on June 27, 2010, 11:07:10 PM
Booked the second option there. Reading some reviews on KLM and they ain't good, anyone ever fly with them?
Flew from SFO to Amsterdam with them a couple of times
and thought they were pretty good.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: joemamas on November 23, 2011, 04:49:09 PM

I know there are multiple terminals in Phoenix, almost got caught once as there are only bus transfers. Even though It is same airline, sounds very tight. Dont check a bag in.
I'd agree...that's much too tight.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ross4life

Have used Phoenix Sky Harbour not as busy as some US airports though 38mins doesn't give you much time especially if flight over is delayed to be on the safe side you would need another hour.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sammymaguire

they'll go on without ya, it happened to me when flying from O'Hare to Newark for a connecting flight back to the UK and when the flight was delayed, we were told they would speak to the ground staff to hold the plane for us, did they fcuk, we had a lovely stay in a New Jersey road house and got a breakfast voucher for our troubles...  :'(
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

muppet

They aren't bothered as long as they get the money. 38 minutes is completely nuts. Presumably you would be checked in at the originating airport because bear in mind that check-in closes 40 minutes before departure for most airlines and even earlier for some long-haul operations.
MWWSI 2017

gawa316

Just off the phone to them there. they said that one flight lands at gate A22 and the other takes off from A25, which by looking at this are right beside each other in same wing

It seems to be doable and would save us over 4 hours but it's one of those catch 22 situations

muppet

a) You will need to be 'checked through', that is either you check in online and print both boarding cards or you get this done at the origin of you journey. A 38 minute turnaround rules out checking-in for the 2nd flight.

b) You will need to have your checked in baggage also 'checked through'. There is no time to go to the baggage hall, collect your bag and check it and yourself in. Even if everything goes well your bags are going to be tight. The two aircraft might be parked close together but your bags will have to be taken to the baggage hall and back to the other aircraft.

c) If the first flight is even slightly delayed the bag hasn't a hope of making i .

d) If it all works fine you will wonder what the fuss was, if it does't you will think it wasn't worth the stress.

Edit: forgot to add that if you can book your seat (online?) it would be worth paying to sit near the exit. Looking the concourse it is almost certainly going to be at the front but there are exceptions.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: gawa316 on November 23, 2011, 06:26:27 PM
It seems to be doable and would save us over 4 hours

"Doable" or possible is not the criterion, though. The question is whether it's likely that everything will slot together perfectly, because a few minutes' delay at take-off end, circling waiting to land, waiting to park at the stand, delay in opening the doors, or one of a hundred other possibilities will lose you the connection. Plus you'll be wound up tight from the time you leave home until you get on the second plane - if you do make it.

It wouldn't be worth it, for me, for the sake of just four hours. Plan to have a nice relaxing lunch or dinner between flights, then into the bar for a few Jack Daniel's or a nice Rioja, browse in the bookshop and get on your second flight nice and mellow, looking forward to your book or your film.

Take it easy.

Mayo4Sam

I flew the south Africa with KLM, thought they were good, much, much, much better than virgin atlantic
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on November 23, 2011, 08:01:06 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 23, 2011, 06:26:27 PM
It seems to be doable and would save us over 4 hours

"Doable" or possible is not the criterion, though. The question is whether it's likely that everything will slot together perfectly, because a few minutes' delay at take-off end, circling waiting to land, waiting to park at the stand, delay in opening the doors, or one of a hundred other possibilities will lose you the connection. Plus you'll be wound up tight from the time you leave home until you get on the second plane - if you do make it.

It wouldn't be worth it, for me, for the sake of just four hours. Plan to have a nice relaxing lunch or dinner between flights, then into the bar for a few Jack Daniel's or a nice Rioja, browse in the bookshop and get on your second flight nice and mellow, looking forward to your book or your film.

Take it easy.
Listen to Hardy and Muppet. Can't see you making it.

optimus cheese

Yeah your bags haven't a mission of making it even if you do, which will also be unlikely

DrinkingHarp

If it is during the winter months NO!!!  Philly could have a snow storm and your flight could be delayed an hour up to a day.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

gawa316

So what sites are people using to book flights to and from the US at the minute?

Any good, new, cheap sites out there? My usual haunts are skyscanner, kayak, orbitz, etravel.ie etc