youthful exuberance

Started by lawnseed, November 18, 2011, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

when i was running about everybody was into something you had mods,rockers,new romantics and goths all harmless fun but all fairly different in their own way. IMO the youth of today are a boring lot.. even when they are together they are texting or e-mailing someone else. i recently went out for a meal with some of my workmates (I'm the oldest) even during the meal they were busy texting away and the craic afterwards in the pub was just them looking at their phones and taking calls. the next day they were making more arrangements for another "night out" all exclaiming it was  'brilliant craic' i told  them it was a no go for me unless they left their phones at home. they all wear hoodies and jeans and that seems to be all the style they have or want.
   what I'm getting at is that yesterday on the radio two lads were having a go at the 80s and 90s laughing at the things that we were into.. having a sneer. well maybe it seems funny now but at least people of my vintage were never bloody boring. i wonder what the youth of 15 or 20 years will think of the hoodie brigade.  ::) maybe they're the "phonies" :D

while i cant really say i was into anything in a big way 'the mods' did seem to have the style nailed down, but each crowd had something going for them.

what was your crowd
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mannix

Agreed, the kids are not able to concentrate anymore, its either texting or calling someone to ask how great is it where they are. Thank god for being a 1971 child.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: mannix on November 19, 2011, 06:15:09 AM
Agreed, the kids are not able to concentrate anymore, its either texting or calling someone to ask how great is it where they are. Thank god for being a 1971 child.

so like myself, you're an oul 40 year old !! wouldnt swap it for being 20 again for a pension
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ziggysego

The adults of the time, always complain about the youth of the time. It's the circle of life.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Agree Lawnseed, its not just the youth by the way. I dont have facebook, but recently I was out and there was 9 of us all past our youth, at one stage there were 6 of them on Facebook or Twitter, though it was rather ignorant. is social networking killing verbal conversation?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ONeill

Quote from: Square Ball on November 19, 2011, 12:36:08 PM
Agree Lawnseed, its not just the youth by the way. I dont have facebook, but recently I was out and there was 9 of us all past our youth, at one stage there were 6 of them on Facebook or Twitter, though it was rather ignorant. is social networking killing verbal conversation?

I find that extremely irritating and it's not just the youth as you say. You're out in the pub or restaurant and people are updating their status as to where they are and who they're with. Why do other people need to know this? Are you trying to impress?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Aaron Boone

Why are Blackberry's the phone of choice for kids?
At least they were last week anyway.

ross4life

Quote from: Square Ball on November 19, 2011, 12:36:08 PM

I was out in the pub with a friend a few weeks ago & asked him how was his sister keeping whom i hadn't seen for two years, great he said haven't seen her for ages but we chat on facebook (they both live in Dublin)

Another time i was in Bruxelles bar Paul Harrington stopped half way through his gig & refused to carry on until people turned off their phones.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ziggysego

I'm a big user of Facebook & Twitter, but it's very anti-social to be on it, when out and in Tyr company of others.
Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 19, 2011, 05:59:36 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 19, 2011, 02:06:18 PM
At least until a few weeks ago BBM was pretty much bomb proof. Riots in England were reckoned to be arranged though it and the police & MI5 could do nothing to intercept them as the messages were encrypted (unlike say SMS).

Yeah BBM is the big thing among them.  I have a son who recently became a teenager.  He is a good kid and we're very proud of him.  He does well in school and in the sports field.  He likes to play xBox and annoying me about going to discos.  That's where he differs from what I was at at his age.  If he was at what I was at at 13-14 years old I would beat his hole around the place.  He still has plenty of female friends but his behaviour is innocent comparitively speaking.  I will be happy to keep him like this for a good while yet.

ONeill

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 19, 2011, 06:13:25 PM
At least until a few weeks ago BBM was pretty much bomb proof. Riots in England were reckoned to be arranged though it and the police & MI5 could do nothing to intercept them as the messages were encrypted (unlike say SMS).

Yeah BBM is the big thing among them.  I have a son who recently became a teenager.  He is a good kid and we're very proud of him.  He does well in school and in the sports field.  He likes to play xBox and annoying me about going to discos.  That's where he differs from what I was at at his age.  If he was at what I was at at 13-14 years old I would beat his hole around the place.  He still has plenty of female friends but his behaviour is innocent comparitively speaking.  I will be happy to keep him like this for a good while yet.

Maybe he's not into the women.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ONeill on November 19, 2011, 06:27:56 PM

Maybe he's not into to Smithwicks!!  He can see all the girls he likes!

lawnseed

i think it was mark twain who said 'youth was wasted on the young' how true. going to underage football turns my stomach closely followed by blood pressure off the clock, the little fukrs are made of shite.. theyve been so pampered and molly coddled theyre hardly fit to walk. when we were young my father worked and i had to get on with it. i used to run 3 miles to an out farm and carry out half a dozen bales of hay to cattle who'd have pulled it off your back then run back again in wellies before i walked/ran to school. in the evenings i'd be sorting spuds from a pile in the middle of a field that were covered in rushes and soil.. pinks in daylight and whites if it got too dark. i'm not complaining when i was 15 years old i could lift 100kgs over my head and hold a vw polo car up at the back long enough for the wheel to be changed.. for fun. didnt know what a gym was and i played senior football the day i turned 15. i dont think people realise just how physically weak the human race in general has become. my father often tells a story of his father going to town for horse shoes, he bought a hundred weight bag of them. 8 stone. they live 3 miles out of town, all up hill. dad says he threw the bag over his shoulder and he never rested once coming up the hills da was 12 at the time and he says he could hardly keep up with him, he made his living quarrying stones with a sledge and crowbar then carting them to build peoples houses. the way humans are going it'll take two men to pull a ragweed. ;)

lawnseed

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 19, 2011, 06:40:36 PM

leave him be

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: lawnseed on November 19, 2011, 07:16:11 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 19, 2011, 06:40:36 PM

leave him be

I do leave him be, don't put pressure on him and let him be who he wants to be.