Is it soccer or football ?

Started by seafoid, February 01, 2023, 04:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

It's soccer. 

And any  Irish person  correcting someone for calling it  soccer needs  to have a word with   themselves

Ash Smoker

Soccer, all day long. I've come across few Dublin soccer heads who get upset when you don't call it football though.
In England they've turned against the word in recent years because they now think it's an Americanism.

ziggy90

Quote from: Ash Smoker on February 01, 2023, 05:39:10 PM
Soccer, all day long. I've come across few Dublin soccer heads who get upset when you don't call it football though.
In England they've turned against the word in recent years because they now think it's an Americanism.

Most football/soccer supporters I know couldn't give a fcuk if it's called either of those. I'd say both of those words.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Eamonnca1

I remember English commentators in the 1980s talking about soccer and nobody batted an eyelid.

When editing Wikipedia I once got admonished for trying to refer to "soccer" in an article. I was told "people in Northern Ireland don't say soccer, and it's an offensive term to those who follow the sport." I corrected him and told him that people who move in GAA circles use the term when it's not clear which football code is being talked about. His response included the line "... and as you admit, the term is not used in Northern Ireland except by GAA people." Which in his mind was the same as nobody using it.

Blowitupref

Association football. Soccer mostly a pet name and used not to be confused with GAA football or American football
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Taylor

trailer

Brendan

Winds me up something serious hearing Footballers say how much they love playing 'Gaelic', at least refer to it as Gaelic Football. Definitely depends on where you are, seen my own club call it Gaelic on social media, show some respect to your own games

J70

Growing up in south Donegal we played gaelic and football.

The word soccer never spoken. Hurling simply wasn't a factor.

Think I was 15 the first time I saw a real life hurley. A lad at school was belting a sliotar about, but didn't see one after that until I went to college.

J70

That said, these days I'd use soccer for the most part as I live in the US.

I make a point of saying American football though. :)

seafoid

Can't get my head around rugby followers calling rugby "football" .  Eg "Ringrose is a great footballer".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2023, 05:57:11 PM
Can't get my head around rugby followers calling rugby "football" .  Eg "Ringrose is a great footballer".

American Football same thing, barely 10 kicks in a game.

ONeill

SOCCER.

The Americans have their own football, as do the Aussie, as do we. The English have theirs. We don't call American football, football. Or Aussie rules football 'football'.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on February 02, 2023, 10:28:04 PM
SOCCER.

The Americans have their own football, as do the Aussie, as do we. The English have theirs. We don't call American football, football. Or Aussie rules football 'football'.

It's Footie in Oz
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea