Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outinfront

What's the story with U19/U21?  Club championships looking unlikely?

downjim

As much as clubs would like to play championships and leagues this ear, lets be realistic. This stop start nature of playing will only increase injuries especially at this time of year when pitches are in gutters. Is there any appetite to finish the intermediate or junior hurling or the reserve championships at this present time. There will always be a few moaning but we have got a good run at it this season and all gaels should be relatively happy considering the year that was in it. I would like to here other clubs views?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: outinfront on October 09, 2020, 10:31:58 AM
What's the story with U19/U21?  Club championships looking unlikely?

Could they play an u20 competition in feb/March next year for clubs before the start of the senior leagues to give the players a chance to impress management and it could perhaps help county u20 management??

johnnycool

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on October 08, 2020, 04:27:00 PM
Quote from: SamFever on October 08, 2020, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: RedBlackPurpleGold on October 08, 2020, 11:28:05 AM
Would there be an objection to the hurling championships not going ahead, absolutely. These guys train like the footballers do, care like the footballers do so why should they not get their championship. The county board pay lip service to hurling and as long as it doesn't interfere with the footballer it's ok. Those championships should have been played but only the co board know why they didn't. As for hurling snobs they are as bad as football snobs. Both games are great
The Calendar came out in June and there were no objections from the Clubs and I think this year, from what I have heard,produced the best SHC ever.There are casualties from this latest lockdown and the IHC,JHC and U19/21 competitions are part of that.
I know Ballela objected as the only hurling only club outside of the Ards but it made no difference. The junior and intermediate hurling fixtures weren't to be played during the football championships and that was it. A good SHC was great for those 4 teams but to make it out like its just tough shit to the rest is a bit much.

Not sure it's related but Ballela failed to field in a league match against our lads that was scheduled the Saturday before lockdown.

With no hope of championship some players may have downed tools already.

Ed Hardy

Seen on Twitter, Darren O'hagan and Harrison both out injured. Big blow to Paddy Tally that. Anybody see the new players called in named in Newry Reporter?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Ed Hardy on October 13, 2020, 07:36:23 PM
Seen on Twitter, Darren O'hagan and Harrison both out injured. Big blow to Paddy Tally that. Anybody see the new players called in named in Newry Reporter?
Darren is out long term which is a massive blow to down and clonduff
nil satis nisi optimum

Ed Hardy

Quote from: SHEEDY on October 13, 2020, 09:02:43 PM

Shame that, hopefully he makes full recovery, he's probably one of the most under rated players in Ireland. Been consistently excellent for past 8 or 9 years.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Ed Hardy on October 13, 2020, 09:06:37 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on October 13, 2020, 09:02:43 PM

Shame that, hopefully he makes full recovery, he's probably one of the most under rated players in Ireland. Been consistently excellent for past 8 or 9 years.

Don't think he is under rated he just plays for a county not at the top table at present. His desire/heart/toughness playing for a Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone Mayo he would prob have at least one all star.. serious club player too. Darren is 30 now - the intensity he plays the game at - it could be difficult to see him back to his 100% best. Harrison is another blow - haven't really had much outta him at county level for a while now. Would they not be safer playing a young lad now In these two league games and v Fermanagh with one eye on the future??
That young lad O'Hare from Saul is a huge prospect and Conor Mc Crickard from laitroim - play them lads now..

downjim

With the new restrictions does that mean that u17 intercounty will go ahead?
I take it thats senior leagues, reserve championships and hurling scrapped then?
Very tough on Clonduff but that is the hand we have been dealt with

Johnnysboys

Quote from: downjim on October 14, 2020, 09:46:27 AM
I take it thats senior leagues, reserve championships and hurling scrapped then?

Not sure on this one.. I think senior GAA is deemed elite level but U17s would still be children. What then for the u20 semi finals happening this weekend?? Because they are over 18 and playing at inter county standard with a few of them involved in their senior setups - are they deemed elite???

downjim

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 14, 2020, 11:28:21 AM

Not sure on this one.. I think senior GAA is deemed elite level but U17s would still be children. What then for the u20 semi finals happening this weekend?? Because they are over 18 and playing at inter county standard with a few of them involved in their senior setups - are they deemed elite???

I do not think anyone knows, a statement from Ulster or Down would help to clarify some of the questions. Can teams train?

OgraAnDun

In the south, the FAI National Youth Leagues are considered elite sports (I believe, judging by the fact that the FAI kept them running after all but elite sport was banned there).

supersub

Quote from: downjim on October 14, 2020, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 14, 2020, 11:28:21 AM

I do not think anyone knows, a statement from Ulster or Down would help to clarify some of the questions. Can teams train?

I'm sure they are trying to get clarity themselves seeing as the restrictions were only announced 8 hours ago.

Ed Hardy

Team named for tomorrow's game;
Burns
Collins
Murdock
McAleenan
D Guinness
P Fegan
S Fegan
Flynn
Poland
O Hagan
Mooney
Kerr
Doherty
J Johnson
O Hare

I would have preferred to see Donnelly (if fit?) playing in the middle. Ryan Johnson surely will get some game time aswell.

Targetman

Ryan Mc Aleenan's retirement didn't last long