Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

He had a balance bike alright and was fine on it, though that bike is way too small for him now,he's also no bother on one of those scooter things flying down hills and stuff. His bike is a little big for him but the place I bought it advised that so he could grow into it, he has mentioned a few times he thinks the bike is a bit big so I think that's what is making him nervous.
He well able for it though flying around on it with the stabilisers on.
Have been told just to leave them on and he will eventually just ask to take them off but I'd like to get him going without them. Might try the downhill with him.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

redzone

Anywhere that does reasonable cycling jerseys, all the nice stuff is an outrageous price on the big sites. Cheers

bennydorano

Welcome to the RIP off world of cycling!

Always been a fan of Decathlon for reasonably priced, good quality gear (not cheap - there's defo cheaper about), they've some lovely cycling jackets as well - which you tend to get more use out of in this country tbh!
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-11007-cycling-jerseys-and-tops

BenDover

I see shootjerseys have started the cycling gear, not sure what sizes are like.

bennydorano

Quote from: maddog on May 15, 2020, 04:24:44 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 15, 2020, 03:54:01 PM
Trek Emonda ALR5 - Aluminium (Purple Flip version), with 105

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trek-emonda-alr-5-disc-purple-flip.html

Very nice, good luck and health to enjoy it.
Too good for a winter hack !
Thought I was lifting it today, cant get it until the end of July now!!

JimStynes

Quote from: redzone on May 21, 2020, 08:16:12 AM
Anywhere that does reasonable cycling jerseys, all the nice stuff is an outrageous price on the big sites. Cheers

https://galibier.cc

An irish company that have lovely looking gear and just not as expensive as the major brands.

illdecide

To you guys that consider yourselves cyclists can you list your current bikes (winter & summer)...I've been into cycling now about 5-6 years and have slowly built up a nice stock of gear and a couple of nice bikes, the reason i was asking about bikes is I worked on the Ormeau Rd, Belfast for a few years and McConvey Cycles were only a few hundred meters up the road from me so every lunch time i'd be up looking and admiring the stock. All my bikes to date have been Specialized as McConvey Cycles are Specialized dealers, majority of my clothing are Specialized but recently I've been guying Mavic gear, DHB, Assos and a few others.
I'm also starting to wonder now what other bike brands are like to ride...Canyon's, Trek's etc, so this is why i was asking for your bike brands. When i first started cycling i thought there was about half a dozen bike brands...lol.

Current summer bike: Specialized Tarmac Disc Pro 2019
Winter bike: Specialized Roubaix 2015 (love this bike, it is so comfortable)

Dream bike: Specialized S-Works Tarmac/Venge

Dream on bike: Pinarello Dogma (nicest bike on the market but £12,000 cannot be justified)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Quote from: JimStynes on May 21, 2020, 10:14:00 PM

An irish company that have lovely looking gear and just not as expensive as the major brands.
That is some nice clobber at decent prices. Do you have the Mistral by any chance? (Looks like their gabba)

bennydorano

Quote from: illdecide on May 21, 2020, 10:54:40 PM
To you guys that consider yourselves cyclists can you list your current bikes (winter & summer)...I've been into cycling now about 5-6 years and have slowly built up a nice stock of gear and a couple of nice bikes, the reason i was asking about bikes is I worked on the Ormeau Rd, Belfast for a few years and McConvey Cycles were only a few hundred meters up the road from me so every lunch time i'd be up looking and admiring the stock. All my bikes to date have been Specialized as McConvey Cycles are Specialized dealers, majority of my clothing are Specialized but recently I've been guying Mavic gear, DHB, Assos and a few others.
I'm also starting to wonder now what other bike brands are like to ride...Canyon's, Trek's etc, so this is why i was asking for your bike brands. When i first started cycling i thought there was about half a dozen bike brands...lol.

Dream on bike: Pinarello Dogma (nicest bike on the market but £12,000 cannot be justified)
Currently have a Trek Emonda SLR6 & an old Cervelo R2 as my Winter yoke, soon to be the Trek emonda ALR5 Alu hopefully! Have been thru loads of bikes up to now, probably regret getting rid of a Mercx a few years back, lovely bike. A fancy Bianchi would be nice.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on May 21, 2020, 11:25:30 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 21, 2020, 10:14:00 PM

That is some nice clobber at decent prices. Do you have the Mistral by any chance? (Looks like their gabba)

No but I do have a gabba and I have to say it is by far the best piece of cycle clothing i own. Worth the extra money. I have the Galibier shorts, a jacket and a gillet. All very good quality.

bennydorano

Yeah, I have the Perfetto, it's the go to kit from October on. I also bought a Lusso winter jacket a few years ago which is very good kit too, dear tho, always keeping an eye out for deals on their site trying to pick another one up.

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on May 21, 2020, 10:54:40 PM

Summer - Cube Peleton 105
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/cube-model-year-2014-road-bikes-first-look.html

Work commute, trails
https://www.singletracks.com/photo.php?p=90271

Winter hack
https://usedbikes.ie/bicycle/trek-discovery-channel-road-bike-987
This one was an ebay mongrel, i picked up the frame for £100 around the time Lance and the discovery channel bike image was non too popular. Built up from ebay parts for about £400 in total. Its 3x10 set up. Very comfortable bike. I don't like the sloping top tubes of a lot of modern bikes so next purchase could be a Cannondale as they seem to do a lot with horizontal top tube.

Like the look of the Wilier brand
http://www.astanaproteam.kz/modules.php?name=astana&page=news&id=3509

Had one of these out of Geordie Wilsons in Cookstown late 80's. They dont make em like that anymore !!
https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/listing/216008208/colnago-mexico-bicycle
Wish i'd have kept it they are worth a small fortune now

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 16, 2020, 08:01:11 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 16, 2020, 07:33:05 PM
Trying to convince my young lad who is 6 to take off the stabilisers on his bike but he is very nervous about me doing it.
Any tips on getting him riding without them?
I think with our I just held onto the saddle for a while to reassure whilst they peddle away. Eventually they'll peddle away without knowing you've let go of the saddle. There might be the odd spill but if you can get him back at it not falling is a good incentive to learn.
Have been out with him the last few days doing this and he took off today without me holding on. Great feeling seeing him do it. Cycling around now no bother.
Obviously now I'm gonna take all the credit as the wife was telling me not to take off the stabilisers just yet....she won't hear the end of it  ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 24, 2020, 12:34:09 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 16, 2020, 08:01:11 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 16, 2020, 07:33:05 PM
Trying to convince my young lad who is 6 to take off the stabilisers on his bike but he is very nervous about me doing it.
Any tips on getting him riding without them?
I think with our I just held onto the saddle for a while to reassure whilst they peddle away. Eventually they'll peddle away without knowing you've let go of the saddle. There might be the odd spill but if you can get him back at it not falling is a good incentive to learn.
Have been out with him the last few days doing this and he took off today without me holding on. Great feeling seeing him do it. Cycling around now no bother.
Obviously now I'm gonna take all the credit as the wife was telling me not to take off the stabilisers just yet....she won't hear the end of it  ;)
Excellent stuff. It's always a great milestone for a child.

illdecide

Was out for a few miles yesterday and came across several groups of 5 & 6 in their group. I know our club have came out and said until Cycling Ireland gives the go-ahead we have to still cycle alone, as the weeks go by you see more and more out together. I'd love to ride in a group again and miss the craic, hopefully CI lift the ban soon...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch