Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: Hound on January 26, 2009, 09:59:04 AM
Quote from: corn02 on January 25, 2009, 06:15:58 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 25, 2009, 06:14:10 PM
Quote from: corn02 on January 25, 2009, 06:09:49 PM
Quote from: aroundincircles on January 25, 2009, 06:07:07 PM
Am not a fan of any soccer team but after spending millions on new players where would liverpool be with out steven gerrard. How much would liverpool have paid for kuyt??

They bought Kuyt for 13 million or something? Somewhere in that area.

Gerrard is priceless.

Dirk actually started the season very well. Was scoring a few goals and getting a few assists. Last 6 weeks though he's been pretty poor. Could do with being dropped for a spell only for he's Rafa's lovechild. Plus the competition for his place is hardly fierce.

He was just ok today, should have done a lot better with the shot. Last six weeks he has dropped off the pace a bit, but that period included the Newcastle match - he was superb in that game.

Need to see a goal from him soon.
Fer fecks sake corn, even Lucas was superb against Newcastle!

Thats about the 3rd time you've signaled Kuyt out for praise because its the one game since November that he hasnt been (at best) mediocre and frankly its ridiculous! Newcasle was a game that we won comfortably, and he played well, but so did everyone, and no way did he deserve special praise. Was he even involved in any of the goals? The first Benayoun laid it on for Gerrard. The 2nd Sami buried a corner, the third Babel knocked in from a corner after the Newky defence made a complete balls of things. The 4th was from Gerrard after a great through ball from Lucas and the last was an Alonso peno after I think Ngog was fouled.

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel to make this the only recent highlight of Kuyt's form, alleging he was superb where he wasnt involved in scoring or assisting in any of the 5 goals, yet the likes of even Babel, Benayoun, Lucas and Ngog either got a goal or an assist.

Yes Lucas was superb, what is your point there.

I tell you what go watch the opneing 30 minutes when we blitzed them and see who was at the centre of every move. He was superb and can not be blamed for other people missing sitters.

You will also notice that I said he hasn't been at his best over the last few weeks ven though he had only one poor game - Hull. The rest he has been just ok.

EC Unique

QuoteROBBIE KEANE'S Liverpool future hangs on a knife-edge after he boycotted the clash with Everton.

The £20million striker did not turn up at Anfield after being told French rookie David Ngog had replaced him on the bench.

Steven Gerrard hit Liverpool's leveller in a 1-1 FA Cup fourth round draw.

And boss Rafa Benitez said: "We have a good squad and Keane was not selected.

"I have not seen him so I don't know how he has reacted. But every player wants to be involved so I would expect he is not happy.

"Ngog scored twice for the reserves in their last match, so he was a good option. And we have Ryan Babel and Lucas who can play forward, so we were well covered."

Keane has managed only seven goals since his summer move from Tottenham.

He has been substituted in all but one of his 16 Premier League starts and was hauled off yet again in the second half of last Monday's 1-1 league draw against rivals Everton after another dismal display.

It looks like Benitez's patience is running thin, although he did offer Keane a crumb of consolation.

Benitez added: "He's working hard and, for me, the most important thing is if the players work hard for the team."

He just does not suit Rafa's team selection (make sure we dont lose and maybe we will sneak a win!) which would suggest that he was not Rafas choice as a signing. Not good for Keane so he should get out ASAP to get weekly football for the good of the Ireland team...

Hound

Quote from: corn02 on January 26, 2009, 10:19:13 AM
Yes Lucas was superb, what is your point there.
I tell you what go watch the opneing 30 minutes when we blitzed them and see who was at the centre of every move. He was superb and can not be blamed for other people missing sitters.
You will also notice that I said he hasn't been at his best over the last few weeks ven though he had only one poor game - Hull. The rest he has been just ok.
The point is, its easy to be "superb", when one team is miles better and the other can't defend. Kuyt himself missed two great chances in the opening quarter. But of course he played well , and no he wasnt invovled in any goals. 

Hound

There is no doubt in my mind that Robbie Keane has been badly managed by Benitez.

Keane started off not good, but Benitez stuck with him and played him in every game. Keane then did progress and looked to be gradually finding his feet. While he didn't score in either of the wins v ManU and Everton for instance, he did play well in both games and lasted virtually 90 mins in both.

Then he breaks his duck in the win over PSV. Keane must have been buzzin, what does Rafa do? – he drops him for the first time!

Then Keane goes through a bad patch and is left out for a spell, until surprisingly recalled for the Arsenal game. Keane had played well in the bigger games and fair dues to Rafa for recognising it. He didnt play all that well, but he got a cracking goal and suddenly his confidence his back. He's plays great in the next game, gets 2 goals and finally the real Robbie Keane has arrived. So then he's immediately dropped.

When he starts a game again, Torres is back from injury on the bench, so the pressure is back on Robbie - and thus he's back to his early season form of trying too hard, and then he is back to in and out of the team. And then against Hull and Stoke he's left on the bench for 90 minutes when we're in desperate need of a goal. An almighty kick in the balls. I can only imagine how he must have felt. You'd swear Rafa's policy was designed to keep confidence low!

I don't care about Ngog being on the bench v Everton. He was never ever going to get on unless the game was over, even if both Torres and Kuyt got injured. And Keane didnt walk out, he could have watched the game from the stands, but he chose to stay at home (first team players not in the matchday squad always have a choice). If Keane doesnt feature either on Wednesday or Sunday, then it'll be clear he's not in Rafa's plans. But maybe he will and maybe this is just Rafa's (bizarre) thinking on how to keep him motivated.....

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Hound on January 26, 2009, 09:59:04 AM
Quote from: corn02 on January 25, 2009, 06:15:58 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 25, 2009, 06:14:10 PM
Quote from: corn02 on January 25, 2009, 06:09:49 PM
Quote from: aroundincircles on January 25, 2009, 06:07:07 PM
Am not a fan of any soccer team but after spending millions on new players where would liverpool be with out steven gerrard. How much would liverpool have paid for kuyt??

They bought Kuyt for 13 million or something? Somewhere in that area.

Gerrard is priceless.

Dirk actually started the season very well. Was scoring a few goals and getting a few assists. Last 6 weeks though he's been pretty poor. Could do with being dropped for a spell only for he's Rafa's lovechild. Plus the competition for his place is hardly fierce.

He was just ok today, should have done a lot better with the shot. Last six weeks he has dropped off the pace a bit, but that period included the Newcastle match - he was superb in that game.

Need to see a goal from him soon.
Fer fecks sake corn, even Lucas was superb against Newcastle!

Thats about the 3rd time you've signaled Kuyt out for praise because its the one game since November that he hasnt been (at best) mediocre and frankly its ridiculous! Newcasle was a game that we won comfortably, and he played well, but so did everyone, and no way did he deserve special praise. Was he even involved in any of the goals? The first Benayoun laid it on for Gerrard. The 2nd Sami buried a corner, the third Babel knocked in from a corner after the Newky defence made a complete balls of things. The 4th was from Gerrard after a great through ball from Lucas and the last was an Alonso peno after I think Ngog was fouled.

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel to make this the only recent highlight of Kuyt's form, alleging he was superb where he wasnt involved in scoring or assisting in any of the 5 goals, yet the likes of even Babel, Benayoun, Lucas and Ngog either got a goal or an assist.
Quote from: Hound on January 26, 2009, 10:44:01 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Robbie Keane has been badly managed by Benitez.

Keane started off not good, but Benitez stuck with him and played him in every game. Keane then did progress and looked to be gradually finding his feet. While he didn’t score in either of the wins v ManU and Everton for instance, he did play well in both games and lasted virtually 90 mins in both.

Then he breaks his duck in the win over PSV. Keane must have been buzzin, what does Rafa do? – he drops him for the first time!

Then Keane goes through a bad patch and is left out for a spell, until surprisingly recalled for the Arsenal game. Keane had played well in the bigger games and fair dues to Rafa for recognising it. He didnt play all that well, but he got a cracking goal and suddenly his confidence his back. He's plays great in the next game, gets 2 goals and finally the real Robbie Keane has arrived. So then he's immediately dropped.

When he starts a game again, Torres is back from injury on the bench, so the pressure is back on Robbie - and thus he's back to his early season form of trying too hard, and then he is back to in and out of the team. And then against Hull and Stoke he's left on the bench for 90 minutes when we're in desperate need of a goal. An almighty kick in the balls. I can only imagine how he must have felt. You'd swear Rafa's policy was designed to keep confidence low!

I don't care about Ngog being on the bench v Everton. He was never ever going to get on unless the game was over, even if both Torres and Kuyt got injured. And Keane didnt walk out, he could have watched the game from the stands, but he chose to stay at home (first team players not in the matchday squad always have a choice). If Keane doesnt feature either on Wednesday or Sunday, then it'll be clear he's not in Rafa's plans. But maybe he will and maybe this is just Rafa's (bizarre) thinking on how to keep him motivated.....

At last someone talking sense!

corn02

Carmen you're not talking much sense if you think Robbie was right to walk out.

Hound, Kuyt had a good shot saved by given, hit him in the face, I don't recall any other chance he missed.

Premiership:
Both Kuyt and Keane have five goals apiece.
Kuyt has started 22 games and Keane 17.
Kuyt has spent on average 87 minutes on the field - no surprise
Keane has spent on average 78 minutes - higher than I thought.

With Kuyt playing about 65% of his games on the wing, it is easy to spot who has been the better player.

Carmen Stateside

So your saying from the above figures Kuyt is a better player :D

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: corn02 on January 26, 2009, 12:47:49 PM.
With Kuyt playing about 65% of his games on the wing, it is easy to spot who has been the better player.

In fairness that's like comparing different shades of shite.

Hound

Quote from: corn02 on January 26, 2009, 12:47:49 PM

Hound, Kuyt had a good shot saved by given, hit him in the face, I don't recall any other chance he missed.

Premiership:

I don't think those stats show a clear difference between them. Kuyt was certainly better in the early part of the season, but not since then.

The goals per minute ratio is about the same, pretty shíte for both of them really.

They do share one other thing in common. The time when they scored twice in a game when their shooting confidence must have been at its highest, they were immediately dropped!

peterquaife

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 25, 2009, 11:15:59 PM
Heading to Anfield on Sunday morning next. Arrive at around 10.30ish in the airport, so don't want to waste too much time between going to hotel and getting to the ground for a loc of pints. Where does good food, reasonabley priced? Staying at Albert Docks, so anywhere there or at the ground.

there is a grand bar on the Albert Dock called the Pump or something, decent food and beer, not much of an atmosphere though. There is an entrance to Liverpool one opp the Albert Dock, has Nando's and the like in there.  Pizza Express for some stomach lining goodness and pint bottles of Peroni

happy hunting

corn02

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 26, 2009, 12:53:38 PM
So your saying from the above figures Kuyt is a better player :D

No I said he has been better this season, do you disagree with that?

corn02

Quote from: Hound on January 26, 2009, 12:57:59 PM
Quote from: corn02 on January 26, 2009, 12:47:49 PM

Premiership:

I don't think those stats show a clear difference between them. Kuyt was certainly better in the early part of the season, but not since then.

The goals per minute ratio is about the same, pretty shíte for both of them really.

They do share one other thing in common. The time when they scored twice in a game when their shooting confidence must have been at its highest, they were immediately dropped!

Kuyt has certainly been better this season, but as you say, neither figure is prolific even for Kuyt playing a lot on the wing.

Let's hope they push on and the arguments are about who is doing better rather than who has been the worst of the two.

peterquaife

Quote from: Hound on January 26, 2009, 10:44:01 AM

Keane started off not good, but Benitez stuck with him and played him in every game. Keane then did progress and looked to be gradually finding his feet. While he didn't score in either of the wins v ManU and Everton for instance, he did play well in both games and lasted virtually 90 mins in both.

agreed. Rafa has been acting like a stubborn clown in regards to Keane. Had to switch over last night, couldnt actually listen to the man. His post match interview against Stoke etc etc

Utd to win the league or at least finish 10 points ahead of the Reds (pains to say by the way)

PQ

corn02

Has he been stubborn though?

Bar the dropping after he scored the double, has he not deserved to come off in the MAJORITY of the matches he has been. He hasn't exactly been brilliant to be fair.

Rafa's interview would suggest that it may be a bit of scare-mongering and that Keane may still be part of the plans.

EC Unique

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 25, 2009, 05:58:52 PM
Happy not to lose but we should really have won that game,A extra game is not want was needed at this stage of the season.
Stevie G was brilliant today,I can't fathom why Keane wasn't even in the squad,I don't think it has anything to do with resting him ahead of the match mid week either.
Great bit of skill for the goal by Torres even if he was quite overall in the game,I thought Dossena had a good game today btw

This seems to be Liverpool's moto at present :D