The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Everton have lost a huge player in Fellaini for the derby, he gives them a massive physical presence, you could see how annoyed Moyes was when he got booked, I think he knew that his best chance to get a result next Monday was to go for the robust approach but he will be very light in the middle now particularly if he has to play Cahill up front again.

slow corner back

Is Anichibe not fit to start for everton, he is a bit clumsy but he puts himself about

corn02

A post off another forum, sums it up well for me and has a go at Rafa's selection too, we should all enjoy it then....

Answer me this. Is it possible for a team to play appallingly because their manager has told the truth about another manager a day earlier? Is it possible for a manager's words to cause Chelsea not to register a solitary strike on United's goal two days later? These must be some special words. More questions. Can it be described as a rant if he sat in a press conference reading from a piece of paper like a fifteen year old explaining his behaviour to his headmaster and parents? Hardly. It took just five minutes for Rooney to prove his accusations about referee favouritism in the Sunday game. Look at that footage and tell yourself Manchester United fully endorse the Respect campaign.

Let's look at the other side of the Rafa coin. Last season there was talk of the American intervention having a negative bearing on our campaign. I don't recall Bill and Ted coming into the dressing room and deciding that Voronin and Kuyt were the right players to lead the line in September much as I don't remember them ordering to rest the greatest striker in the world after the hardship and toil of three weeks of football.

My feelings towards Rafa tend to fall between worship and treading through oceans of confusion. As we were huddled into the concourse of the Britannia (it makes Woodison look like the Maracana) the team news was greeted with baffled expressions. Torres needs games and Keane needs to get his mind right after Preston so why play Dirk. Our two main strikers have a history of goals while the trying Dutchman has a history of right wing leg work. It transpires that Dirk was actually needed on the right as Yossi, still trapped in his act of being amazing or atrocious – never average, was lost in the first half and needed help. Eventually the game played out. It was everything I expected and less. Big hoofs into the box to disrupt our centre backs while we showed no cutting edge or endeavour. By the time Torres came on we were staring at a point as their tails were up and, as ever, we panicked. A poor selection, yes. A poor performance based on a press conference? Well, how could it be? Gerrard didn't hit the post twice because he was worried about the effect of his manager's words.

If there's a criticism to be levelled about the press conference it lies with its futility. The media's tale was all about who won the war and Fergie supposed laughing into his wine without any comment into the veracity of his claims. Whether they like to see the panto rather than discuss the issues is open to debate, albeit a useless one. Now the mind games are apparently won. 'Fergie says Liverpool are shit' – ooh, he's so subtle. 'Man U bully referrees' – Rafa's lost the plot!

Back to the football. The derbies are going to be huge and we're capable of taken them apart with the right performance and team. We've let United back in this weekend but we've got an opportunity to make it and Us and Them battle when Chelsea come in February. If it was a bad week for us then where does it leave Chelsea? Zero points against the top three teams and probably third by next week, that's where.

Finally: Hasn't the Gerrard story gone quiet over the last few days?

Hound

Its funny how Ferguson can say what he likes about any club, but any other manager says anything about United and its analysed in the media to the nth degree.

Rafa's comments were dead right and had zero bearing on either game.

I could somewhat understand Rafa's team selection bearing in mind a similar team/formation did so well against Newcastle. But when it clearly wasnt working how he didnt change it (particularly the midfield two, with Mascho being mediocre and Lucas being appalling) is beyond my comprehension. I hope it wasnt down to stubborness. Rafa's refusal to say it was 2 points dropped is absolutely the wrong mindset. Its filtering down to the players that drawing with Stoke is acceptable. Rafa's post match comments are cringeworthy in my opinion:

"It's not easy to find the space and to create many opportunities, so we have to be pleased we have one more point, we are still at the top of the table and in a great position."

Goats Do Shave

To play 2 holding midfielders v Stoke is scandelous, especially as he played no strikers!

Rafa for the chop!

Scousers don't enjoy squeaky bum time!

Abble

ANOTHER opportunity missed to go even further ahead. Alonso was a big miss on Saturday for sure. Although good to see Skrtel back and Torres getting some much needed game time also.

I think we are now coming close to the stage where you could say this weekend or that weekend can possibly decide things. Not sure when exactly that is going to be. Utd are catching with 2 games in hand, chelsea 4 behind - for the time being i'd be very happy to stay those 4 pts clear of chelsea...utd in all likelihood will take a 1 pt lead by this time next week, i just hope we can now get stronger and more clinical from here on and give utd a good battle to the end. we've always got stronger in the finishing months of the league in previous seasons so hopefully this trait continues.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on January 12, 2009, 07:08:46 AM
Its funny how Ferguson can say what he likes about any club, but any other manager says anything about United and its analysed in the media to the nth degree.

I could somewhat understand Rafa's team selection bearing in mind a similar team/formation did so well against Newcastle. But when it clearly wasnt working how he didnt change it (particularly the midfield two, with Mascho being mediocre and Lucas being appalling) is beyond my comprehension. I hope it wasnt down to stubborness. Rafa's refusal to say it was 2 points dropped is absolutely the wrong mindset. Its filtering down to the players that drawing with Stoke is acceptable. Rafa's post match comments are cringeworthy in my opinion:

"It's not easy to find the space and to create many opportunities, so we have to be pleased we have one more point, we are still at the top of the table and in a great position."

Were they? Do you think referees favour Manchester United? Do you think Mr Bennett was wrong to send off Mascherano last season as was implied? I don't remember the handball incident against Wigan but Benitez clearly questioned Bennett's partiality yet he said Ferguson is the only one who can talk about fixtures and referees without being punished! As for the "zonal marking" comment well Sky's camera's showed that up yesterday too. The one about Fergie doing up the fixtures himself was real toys out of the pram stuff. His words were contradictory and just what he was trying to achieve I do not know. I agree that they had minimal if any effect on the outcome of either of the games. This "mind games" stuff is invented by the media to try and portray that they actually have a part in proceeding as opposed the the truth that they are mere observers.

Minder

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 12, 2009, 08:46:27 AM
To play 2 holding midfielders v Stoke is scandelous, especially as he played no strikers!

Rafa for the chop!

How do you know?

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2009, 09:00:52 AM
Quote from: Hound on January 12, 2009, 07:08:46 AM

Were they? Do you think referees favour Manchester United? Do you think Mr Bennett was wrong to send off Mascherano last season as was implied? I don't remember the handball incident against Wigan but Benitez clearly questioned Bennett's partiality yet he said Ferguson is the only one who can talk about fixtures and referees without being punished! As for the "zonal marking" comment well Sky's camera's showed that up yesterday too. The one about Fergie doing up the fixtures himself was real toys out of the pram stuff. His words were contradictory and just what he was trying to achieve I do not know. I agree that they had minimal if any effect on the outcome of either of the games. This "mind games" stuff is invented by the media to try and portray that they actually have a part in proceeding as opposed the the truth that they are mere observers.

So in that case you would agree the Fergies comments that the fixture list was "bollocks" was 100% rong too? You will also admit that Rooney should have had about five or six red cards this year if Mascherano was rightly sent off that time?

full back

Quote from: Minder on January 12, 2009, 09:09:24 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 12, 2009, 08:46:27 AM

Rafa for the chop!

How do you know?

Yeah, how do you know?
They have never been close enough come the business end of the season ;)

Goats Do Shave

Well they were sh!t on Saturday again... pressure telling!

Minder

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 12, 2009, 09:19:35 AM

They were s*it because they were s*it, i think you are putting too much into the "pressure" angle, especially in January. The majority of the players are all experienced internationals, its not as if it is a crowd of 19 year olds.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

Quote from: Minder on January 12, 2009, 09:30:19 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 12, 2009, 09:19:35 AM

They were s*it because they were s*it, i think you are putting too much into the "pressure" angle, especially in January. The majority of the players are all experienced internationals, its not as if it is a crowd of 19 year olds.

Yes they were sh1te, but you could see from Carragher's appearance on SS yesterday how desperate they are to win the title.
He acknowledges that time is running out to win the PL. Regardless of if you are 19 or an experienced international, this will bring additional pressure

Goats Do Shave

I'm only winding! Feck sakes!

By the way I though Carragher was a good guest on the skysports panel yesterday.