The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Jimmy Bullard is the man but I kinda hope United buy him.

AZOffaly

Is Bullard a right winger? I thought he was more of a central player. I haven't watched him for a while, but I can't ever remember him racing down the line and whipping in crosses. Good dead ball option as well though.

brokencrossbar1

I think that the players are there to do what is necessary to succeed, but that the system is not the right one.  I think that they have to bite the bullet and play Gerard on teh right with Alonso and either Lucas or Masch in beside him. You 2 out of 3 from Keane, Torres and Kuyt in a front 2 and Riera on the left.  This formation can adjust to the 4-3-2-1 that is being played fairly easily but the 4-4-1-1 should be the main one.  Torres as the main striker with the other two as support strikers, the roles they played in their previous clubs.

I know this will never happen and the dogmatic, conservative approach that Benetiz has will be the downfall in winning the League.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2008, 12:39:54 PM
Is Bullard a right winger? I thought he was more of a central player. I haven't watched him for a while, but I can't ever remember him racing down the line and whipping in crosses. Good dead ball option as well though.

I seem to remember him in his Wigan days a right sided midfielder though he operates more through the middle these days. Really like him as a player, seems to have a great attitutde.

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 22, 2008, 12:46:59 PM
I think that the players are there to do what is necessary to succeed, but that the system is not the right one.  I think that they have to bite the bullet and play Gerard on teh right with Alonso and either Lucas or Masch in beside him. You 2 out of 3 from Keane, Torres and Kuyt in a front 2 and Riera on the left.  This formation can adjust to the 4-3-2-1 that is being played fairly easily but the 4-4-1-1 should be the main one.  Torres as the main striker with the other two as support strikers, the roles they played in their previous clubs.

I know this will never happen and the dogmatic, conservative approach that Benetiz has will be the downfall in winning the League.

Don't know about that. We are top of the league. People will point to West Ham, Fulham, Hull, but we battered them and we were very offensively minded.

The correct formation is a weird one. If Barry had of arrived it is safe to say 4-4-2 would have been the order of the day, but I quite like Gerrad in behind a striker. Ok it hasn't worked wonders, but that is because it needs to be Gerrard and Torres to work.

As Lee said - every team is different, different players uit different teams. The league is becoming that mechanical now.

Two years ago Charlton away from home use to play 4-3-3 going forward and 4-5-1 when without the ball. We are basically doing the same thing and so far, so good. To do it right you need two workhorses on the wing and they also have to be speed merchants. We have a mixture.
Kuyt is obviously a workhorse, but is not going to break at pace. Reira isn't fast but is a good worker and is very good at moving the play swiftly forward. There are few players who fir the mould - Tevez is probably the best in the Premierhsip at that role. I think Bullard was a wind-up but and in an ideal world we would get Young in, but never in a million years.

The key is being able to adapt. I think we should have went 4-4-2 a lot sooner, but credit has to be given to Arsenal.

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 22, 2008, 01:03:49 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2008, 12:39:54 PM

I seem to remember him in his Wigan days a right sided midfielder though he operates more through the middle these days. Really like him as a player, seems to have a great attitutde.

A great player indeed with a fantastic attitude, but certainly not a top four player. He reminds me of McFadden. When on-song for Everton he was first class, but you just knew he wasn't top four, or should that be top five, quality.

under the bar

QuoteA great player indeed with a fantastic attitude, but certainly not a top four player. He reminds me of McFadden. When on-song for Everton he was first class, but you just knew he wasn't top four, or should that be top five, quality.

Dunno if it's easy classify a player in that way as different managers can get different things from players.   Take Riera for example, not good enough for City but then ends up at Liverpool.

Goats Do Shave

Seen a great clip of Bullard at the week end from his Wigan days, where he was looking up at Big Duncan Ferguson after (I think) Ferguson punched Scharner.. funny as!

corn02

Quote from: under the bar on December 22, 2008, 01:15:32 PM
QuoteA great player indeed with a fantastic attitude, but certainly not a top four player. He reminds me of McFadden. When on-song for Everton he was first class, but you just knew he wasn't top four, or should that be top five, quality.

Dunno if it's easy classify a player in that way as different managers can get different things from players.   Take Riera for example, not good enough for City but then ends up at Liverpool.

Good point, but Reira bit is a misconception. City wanted Reira, two clubs could not agree a fee.

stevo-08

here's a little Liverpool picture quiz for you all to tackle as you wind down towards christmas.
some easy, some very hard. Enjoy...

http://quizible.com/quiz/liverpool-fc/432

Hound

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 22, 2008, 11:19:07 AM
Quote from: Hound on December 22, 2008, 07:35:41 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 21, 2008, 07:22:28 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on December 21, 2008, 07:19:33 PM
If only there wasnt as much pace on Kuyt's centre late in the first half he would have had a simple tap-in.

I had completely forgotten about that. Should have been a goal. Kuyt just put too much on it. A bit less power and Gerrard would have tapped it in.
Disagree with that. Kuyt had to put pace on the ball to get it by the defender. Despite Andy Gray doing his best, there was no excuse for Gerrard missing that. He'd a shíte game, and that typified it.

Well I have to disagree with that. Kuyt had to put pace on it alright but he put too much. He practically blasted it across. Gerrard was stretching for it so I'm not sure how it can be classed as his fault. Not getting on Kuyt's case about it but my instant reaction was that he hit it too hard.
A low and hard side foot, hardly a blast. While he was stretching, Gerrard got a full foot on - it wasnt his toe that made contact, it was his laces. But the really stupid thing was going at it with his right foot. Wouldt mind if he'd no left foot - two weeks ago he'd 4 shots from outside the box with his left foot!

corn02

Quote from: Hound on December 22, 2008, 02:44:27 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 22, 2008, 11:19:07 AM
Quote from: Hound on December 22, 2008, 07:35:41 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 21, 2008, 07:22:28 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on December 21, 2008, 07:19:33 PM
If only there wasnt as much pace on Kuyt's centre late in the first half he would have had a simple tap-in.

I had completely forgotten about that. Should have been a goal. Kuyt just put too much on it. A bit less power and Gerrard would have tapped it in.
Disagree with that. Kuyt had to put pace on the ball to get it by the defender. Despite Andy Gray doing his best, there was no excuse for Gerrard missing that. He'd a shíte game, and that typified it.

Well I have to disagree with that. Kuyt had to put pace on it alright but he put too much. He practically blasted it across. Gerrard was stretching for it so I'm not sure how it can be classed as his fault. Not getting on Kuyt's case about it but my instant reaction was that he hit it too hard.
A low and hard side foot, hardly a blast. While he was stretching, Gerrard got a full foot on - it wasnt his toe that made contact, it was his laces. But the really stupid thing was going at it with his right foot. Wouldt mind if he'd no left foot - two weeks ago he'd 4 shots from outside the box with his left foot!

How I saw it.

Read the mirror ratings, can't agree with many. Gave Alonso 9, Insua just got 6 and Kuyt, although very good, was not an 8.

Hound

Quote from: stevo-08 on December 22, 2008, 02:19:22 PM
here's a little Liverpool picture quiz for you all to tackle as you wind down towards christmas.

32 out of 42.

Stuck on 2, 3, 8, 11, 20, 21, 28, 30, 33, 35

Minus15

Quote from: Hound on December 22, 2008, 04:06:08 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on December 22, 2008, 02:19:22 PM

32 out of 42.

Stuck on 2, 3, 8, 11, 20, 21, 28, 30, 33, 35

2-John Aldridge
11-Steve McManaman
28-Igor Biscan
35-Bjorn Tore Kvarme

Minus15

8 Didi Hamann
30 xabi alonso