The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 09:54:04 AM
The way Gerrard played against United last year you should count yourselves lucky he'll miss the game.

Aye, but Mascherano will take his place. That didn't go so well either :D

EC Unique

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2008, 10:00:23 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 09:54:04 AM
The way Gerrard played against United last year you should count yourselves lucky he'll miss the game.

Aye, but Mascherano will take his place. That didn't go so well either :D

corn02

Frustrating,frustrating night. Probably were the poorer team over the two legs - but we will do well as usual in the group.

full back

Jammy fcukers as usual in Europe ;)

The scousers are playing complete sh1te & I would honestly fear for them against stronger teams unless they get a few wide man asap, but the bright side for ye lot is you have 6 points from 6 in the league & are in the group stages of the CL
Cant ask for more than that especially as ye havent played well at all

AZOffaly

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 12:56:41 PM
Jammy fcukers as usual in Europe ;)

The scousers are playing complete sh1te & I would honestly fear for them against stronger teams unless they get a few wide man asap, but the bright side for ye lot is you have 6 points from 6 in the league & are in the group stages of the CL
Cant ask for more than that especially as ye havent played well at all

Spot on. If you told us that would be the story on August 28th, we'd have been delighted.

The problem is that they must improve, and must get their best players on the field, and in their proper positions. Dirk Kuyt is not good enough, Arbeloa looked woeful again, especially defensively, Keane and Torres are not operating as a pair at all yet, although I do think that will come, Benayoun is lightweight, Alonso (who I thought was okay enough) is still not playing very well, and Gerrard is struggling.

If Pepe Reina wasn't playing, we'd probably be 1 point from 6 in the league, and out of Europe.

corn02

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2008, 01:01:13 PM
Dirk Kuyt is not good enough.

Have to disagree, his record in Europe is superb and has a nack for important goals. He is not playing a striker of course but with Reira coming in, Keane will have to look over his shoulder at Dirk.

full back

Kuyt is a good enough player is you are happy to finish 3/4th in the league every year
Keane & Torres will benefit greatly if you have a conventional winger not a workhorse

AZOffaly

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 01:11:31 PM
Kuyt is a good enough player is you are happy to finish 3/4th in the league every year
Keane & Torres will benefit greatly if you have a conventional winger not a workhorse

Exactly. What do we want as a player in that position? A hard grafter, honest as the day is long, but with the first touch of a rampaging bull elephant, or someone who can go past people, get in crosses, and generally treat the ball as a friend, rather than a plague infected rat?

I like Kuyt. I like his energy, his workrate and his honesty. I hate his ability. He's a squad player on a good team, and a starter on an average team. If he starts for Liverpool, regularly, then we are an average team, in my opinion.

The amount of times moves break down when he gets involved is unreal, and a lot of his workrate is needed because he gave it away in the first place.

I don't want to be hard on him, as I said, I do admire him as a 'pro', but in terms of ability, I just don't think he's good enough.

full back

For an Offaly man you talk a lot of sense AZ ;)

Mentalman

Quote from: corn02 on August 28, 2008, 01:08:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2008, 01:01:13 PM
Dirk Kuyt is not good enough.

Have to disagree, his record in Europe is superb and has a nack for important goals. He is not playing a striker of course but with Reira coming in, Keane will have to look over his shoulder at Dirk.

"What are you doing back there Dirk?"

I think if and when they get Kuyt off the wing, there will be a good bit of roatation of the three strikers, in fact Dirk and Robbie might not be a bad combination. I don't think Robbie has done badly at all, worked hard, on Saturday he joined up the play well, himself and Nando just haven't clicked yet. To be honest Torres hasn't looked great, all be it with only 4 games gone, a bit leaden of foot, perhaps the after effects of the Euros. Benitez wants to be having a word with Babel, toughen the wee wimp up, send him over to train with the Meath juniors or something. And another word with Arbeloa, a simple message really, when you're on the overlap don't take the extra touch before crossing, just hit it - a real sign of a player low on confidence. What was really disturbing last night was the lack of options on the bench to change the game - I mean even if Lucas & Masch were available it's not like they offer a real option going forward. All that said, they are in the draw, and hard to believe as it may be that's the best they have played so far this season - they actually passed the ball once Standard were on the back foot (despite Beny/Kuyt/Babel's constant bad passing). Don't Standard have some great young players? None out wide really where Liverpool need them, but I doubt that team will still be together this time next week.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

AZOffaly

Quoteand hard to believe as it may be that's the best they have played so far this season - they actually passed the ball once Standard were on the back foot

I agree with that. Granted it's 'tallest pygmy' territory, but at times last night they looked in control, just never looked like scoring. And then there'd be 10 passes and Kuyt would kick it into the stand.

el_cuervo_fc

Paper talk Liverpool forward Andriy Voronin has emerged as a transfer target for Nantes. The Ukrainian forward may not have many opportunities to impress this season and Rafa Benitez could decide to let him head to France.

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch/0,23710,14896_4059494,00.html

Billys Boots

Bad news for poor oul Nantes, after a poor start to their season.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minder

I know the "Kuyt problem" has been visited many times but i feel compelled to keep it going. He is not good enough, his goal sums him up, off his knee. He does not have the pace, skill levels or intelligence to play out wide. Liverpool will never win the Premier League when he is atrting the majority of games. I remember a game last year against United, he was chasing ball with Evra, Evra was running about 75% speed and easily beat him to the ball. Nobody doubts his work rate, it is immense but it isnt enough at the highest level.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stevo-08

agree with alot of what's being said here. That was a very frustrating performance last night. Yes, kuyt works like the duracel bunny, and gets important goals, but his touch is absolutely shocking. Numerous times last night, the play broke down due to kuyt giving the ball away. I was screaming for Kuyt to be taken off early in the 2nd half. Is pennant that bad that he couldnt have got a place on the bench - i would have left keane on and put pennant on instead of kuyt if that option was available. Or even switch benny to the right and bring babel on for kuyt. Rafa will feel justified cos kuyt got the winner but in all honesty we got very lucky last night.

Dont want to be too hard on the lad as he has come up trumps in important games, but I thought this season he'd be playing a much smaller part - maybe in difficult away games when its important to defend. but obviously rafa is continuing with his loyalty towards dirk. that doesnt bode well for the season ahead, IMO.

also was very disappointed with Babel, more of the same from him - just running the ball into trouble every time. Alonso again was poor, carrying on with his form of last season. Easy to see why rafa was looking to let him go and bring in Barry. Gerrard struggled also but for a guy playing in pain, he worked very hard and when Masch comes back, it should free up gerrard to help the attack. As expected we got nothing from the full backs and its difficult to see how Finnan can be frozen out if Arbeloa is the main right back.

A winger is definitely needed (Riera or milner or downing - anyone with the ability the beat a man and deliver a cross) to provide an an option, & then when Masch comes back & stevie joins the attack, things should start to improve through the middle. But with gerrards injury, it's going to be some weeks before we're back to full strength. I just hope we can ride our luck against Villa & Utd in the meantime and not drop too many points...