The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 13, 2008, 10:38:30 PM
QuoteKeane going to have to get himself sorted soon aswell.

The price tag is affecting him already.  Wait til the kop start getting on his back.

Liverpool fans generally don't get on the back of their own players. Unlike some of the prawn sandwich munchers elsewhere.

Peter Crouch didn't score until about his 17th or 18th game for the club but the crowd never got on his back about it.

Carmen Stateside

But its not even about scoring, he doesnt seem to know what position he is being expected to play! Game seems to pass him by, it was the same in the few pre season games i have seen.  And then maybe that could be down to the coach :-\  Hopefully things will get better come Saturday. Sunderland get any more Irish lads recently?

Over the Bar

QuoteLiverpool fans generally don't get on the back of their own players. Unlike some of the prawn sandwich munchers elsewhere.

Probably cos they've become so accustomed to 2nd rate players at Anfield...... ;)

brokencrossbar1

First things first, a poor performance but a clean sheet.  Several players involved who were making their debuts in Europe so things should not b expected to gel.

Secondly, the Belgians had so much to play for.  They had nothign to lose as they were against one of the "super" teams and just had a lash.  This is a very hard atmosphere for a team to play against when it is their first competetive game of the season.
To keep a clean sheet, albeit a lucky one, is a good result.

As for Keane getting his finger out, would yez ever catch a grip.  The lad has been in Anfield a wet week and he is criticised already.  I would not be worried about his performances till November.

The bigger game of the week is Saturday and getting a win in the first league game.

myball22

Liverpool will not win anything if they persist is using players like Kuyt and Benyaoun (sp) in wide areas. These are not wide players and don't have the pace to beat defenders. Everyhting was so narrow last night with no width and the belgians know all they had to do was play deep deny Torres space and double team him every time the ball came to him.

Liverpool really need some wide players before the transfer window closes.

BerfArmagh

Pure Rubbish. Liverpool should at least be 2 nil down. They play the poorest and most unpleasing to watch football of any of the top 6 english teams. Wimbledon FC would'nt have a look in. I am wetting myself alughing everyday the fact that Liverpool fans think robbie keane is the missing link to provide them the premiership. Wake up, hes an ok player, whom you have paid far too much for. At the EOTD only Torres & Gerard would make it into a united 11. Roll on september

supersarsfields

Reina, Carragher, Macsh, Gerrard and Torres.

laceer

supersarsfields

Well he's debatable. I'll agree on that. And I'm not expecting as much of him this year to be honest as I think he's lost a bit of pace.
Alonso on current form could contest with Carrick Hargreaves etc aswell.

But it's a bit early for these kinds of comparisons.

On the game last nite it was actually painful to watch. No fluency in the pass and players just looked like they wanted rid of the ball rather than trying to stamp their authority on the game. Fair play to Leige as they harried and harrassed Liverpool well. But we should be good enough to pass the ball around their men.
There will have to be a big improvement for the start of the league.

Hound

Christonabike, what a performance! Blessed to get away with it. And this tie is certainly not going to be a formality in Anfield. Standard Liege played really well, tactically very good (let our defenders have as much of the ball as they wanted but that meant they had our midfield totally covered and so the lads at the back just lumped it up to "Crouchie"  ;D ) and while they didnt find the net, I think its pretty clear there are goals in them.

Dossena's first half was the worst competitive debut I can remember from an LFC player. Well certainly in the Benitez era - I'm sure there were a few in the Houllier days (Nunez,Cheyrou etc) that I've chosen to forget! In fairness Dossena did improve a bit in the 2nd half.

Keane played exactly as he has done in the friendlies. He just can't seem to get into games. Hasn't been bad particulalrly, just hasn't been an influence.

Most worrying was how "all over the shop" we were defending crosses. Not sure who was to blame, but certainly none of Carra, Agger or Reina were dominant.

You'd think Gerrard for Plessis would be the obvious change for Sunderland, but I dunno if Rafa is prepared to play without a destroyer. I think Keane could be in danger of being dropped. If he was insistent on keeping Plessis, I'd like to see what Keane would be like in Kuyt's role. When he was bought Rafa did say he could play that role - though he didnt get a run in that position in any of the friendlies so perhaps its unlikely.

Minus15

Ok last night wasn't good but it was a tricky away tie and we got a 0-0. I fancy us to beat them convinvingly at Anfield. We just seemed to lack in creativity last night and Standard didn't allow our midfield and forwards any time on the ball. I think you can sure that in two weeks time Rafa will have done his homework and worked out how to exploit them. The Liverpool team last night was missing a few key players but the worry is that we can expect more or less the same for saturday. I would have liked to have seen Benayoun and Kuyt switched as Kuyt gives you the same on either wing and Benayoun on the left is just intent on cutting inside. Maybe he could have given Dante a bit of trouble out there. But as someone else said that was a massive game for Liege and was our first competitive outing with players making their debuts for the club.

Hound it was indeed an inauspicious debut for Dossena. When the pass through midfield wasn't on his immediate reaction was to thump it down the wing for Keane or Torres. However, it is early days and it is too early to judge him. From what I have seen so far he can be effective going forward but he lacks the neccessary aerial ability to compete in the Premier League and I feel that he could be targeted with diagonal balls by many teams in the division. But even when he was signed I expected Aurelio to be first choice for the big games and Dossena used against teams at home who come to defend. But he has time and could prove to be a good signing once he settles. But the 7million he cost will probably put him under more pressure to perform. Oh and Nunez was a Benitez signing!

The fact that El Zhar came on before Pennant I think just shows that he could be on his way. Any games Pennant played in pre season he looked disinterested anyway so maybe it is for the best. I would actually start El Zhar against Sunderland. You need to have one winger on the field or else everything will become too narrow. 

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Agger Dossena

Alonso Gerrard
                        El Zhar                     Benayoun

Keane
                                         Torres

The GAA

Quote from: Minus15 on August 14, 2008, 01:09:55 PM

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Agger Aurelio

Alonso Gerrard
                        El Zhar                     Benayoun

Keane
                                         Torres

Much as it pain me to say it, that is not good side

FermGael

According to Sky sports news there now, Barry is in the Villa starting line for tonight.
Is that the end of that then??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Minus15

Villa winning 1-0. yes its Gareth Barry after 4 mins.

Dont think Liverpool's pursuit of Barry is over just because hes playing tonight. I expect it to go on right up until the end of the window!

Minus15

100% of the shots you don't take don't go in.
Wayne Gretzky

So FermGael what percentage of shots that Fermanagh do take actually go in?