The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2008, 03:57:01 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on August 11, 2008, 08:13:39 PM
Will Degen be a regular in the defence this season, or will he be another victim of Benitez's rotation policy ???
I doubt it. Even from the limited bit I've seen of him, I think its pretty clear that he's not as good a defender as Arbeloa (he came with a reputation as being dodgy defensively and in the one half he played at right back, he was badly at fault once and overall didnt look great), though he's better going forward - certainly he has pace and likes to charge forward (as he proved in his first appearance for Liverpool when he played more as a right winger), not sure about his delivery from wide.

My guess is he'll be used more often as a sub than a starter. But he will start a fair few games against some of the crappy teams.

Is that even possible?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hound

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 12, 2008, 09:26:58 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2008, 03:57:01 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on August 11, 2008, 08:13:39 PM
Will Degen be a regular in the defence this season, or will he be another victim of Benitez's rotation policy ???
I doubt it. Even from the limited bit I've seen of him, I think its pretty clear that he's not as good a defender as Arbeloa (he came with a reputation as being dodgy defensively and in the one half he played at right back, he was badly at fault once and overall didnt look great), though he's better going forward - certainly he has pace and likes to charge forward (as he proved in his first appearance for Liverpool when he played more as a right winger), not sure about his delivery from wide.

My guess is he'll be used more often as a sub than a starter. But he will start a fair few games against some of the crappy teams.

Is that even possible?
I doubt there's a defender that ever did as good a man marking job on Messi as Arbeloa did for Liverpool v Barca. In his pocket for both legs. Perhaps you missed the games?

Certainly last season wasn't his best with injuries and the centre back experiment back-firing.  But now that he'll be settled into his best position at right back, you'll see a much improved player. If your opinion on him was anywhere near correct, he would not be in the Spanish squad.

stevo-08

Quote from: Hound on August 13, 2008, 07:27:33 AM
I doubt there's a defender that ever did as good a man marking job on Messi as Arbeloa did for Liverpool v Barca. In his pocket for both legs. Perhaps you missed the games?

Certainly last season wasn't his best with injuries and the centre back experiment back-firing.  But now that he'll be settled into his best position at right back, you'll see a much improved player. If your opinion on him was anywhere near correct, he would not be in the Spanish squad.

And dont forget he was asked to play as left back in those games which is not his natural side. Also he had only played a handful of games for 'Pool before that. An incredible performance really. I think he's a solid enough defender and will be the regular right back in the side this year. Im delighted & relieved that the stories about him leaving have all died down.

On another note, I am completely fed up with the on-off-on-off Barry saga. Looking forward to the end of the transfer window to be honest, so the whole affair can be laid to rest one way or another.

under the bar

Is it true that Barry is in the finalk year of his contract and can sign a pre-agreement in January to come to Liverpool on a free transfer??  Livepool mate in work swears it's true!

stevo-08

nope definitely 2 years left. even martin o'neill wouldnt be stupid enough to turn down 15m-17m or whatever it was for a player entering his last year. could get him a bit cheaper in january, cheaper again next summer and sign him for free in Jan 2010.

AZOffaly

Tomorrow will tell a tale. If Barry plays for Villa in the UEFA Cup qualifier, he's gone as far as Liverpool are concerned, because that will cup tie him for Europe. If he doesn't play over there, I'd say he's on his way somewhere.

under the bar

QuoteTomorrow will tell a tale. If Barry plays for Villa in the UEFA Cup qualifier, he's gone as far as Liverpool are concerned, because that will cup tie him for Europe. If he doesn't play over there, I'd say he's on his way somewhere.

If the starts on the bench and Villa are struggling things will get tasty.........

stevo-08

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2008, 09:11:56 AM
Tomorrow will tell a tale. If Barry plays for Villa in the UEFA Cup qualifier, he's gone as far as Liverpool are concerned, because that will cup tie him for Europe. If he doesn't play over there, I'd say he's on his way somewhere.

not quite as simple as that. if he plays tomorrow, then he's only cup tied for the CL group games but could play for liverpool if they proceed further than that. Maybe rafa is actually hoping that he plays tomorrow, cos then he could argue that the price should be lowered - in which case he can get his man who would be available for all PL games and also for, hopefully, the CL knockout stages.

I think this can still go on, and on, and on and on........

Hound

Will also be interesting to see if Alonso plays tonight - though I don't see how he could possibly be left out.

Finnan has been left at home despite being fully fit and available (and with Degen injured, it means the only cover for right back is Carragher). Rumour that his relationship with Benitez has completely broken down as a result of Liverpool trying to use him as a makeweight in the Barry deal.

Finnan has come out of international retirement and is back in the Ireland squad for the upcoming friendly.

gawa316

Quote from: Hound on August 13, 2008, 10:14:16 AM

Finnan has been left at home despite being fully fit and available (and with Degen injured, it means the only cover for right back is Carragher). Rumour that his relationship with Benitez has completely broken down as a result of Liverpool trying to use him as a makeweight in the Barry deal.

Finnan has come out of international retirement and is back in the Ireland squad for the upcoming friendly.

From the official site

While the Reds captain looks likely to win his fitness battle, one player who won't feature is full-back Steve Finnan, who Benitez feels is still short of match practice.

"He is not on the bench and has not travelled but we have Arbeloa in that position," said the Anfield manager.

"He was injured at the beginning of pre-season and had an operation and although he is now training with the team, he is still a bit behind in fitness."

stevo-08

what about the team tonight lads. it nearly picks itself due to the guys injured or on olympic duty. with skrtel just coming back from injury, i dont think he'll start. should be something like this:

reina
arbeloa carra agger dossena
kuyt alonso gerrard benayoun
         keane torres

Minus15

I am not so sure that come Jan 2010 Barry could sign a pre contract agreement with the reds. I could be wrong maybe the rules have changed in the last couple of years however it definitely used to be the case that you could only sign such deals with clubs from other countries and would have to wait until 1st June to sign for another English club. I think it is to prevent any controversy in case the two teams involved are both chasing Europe and meet on the last day of the season in a decider. However, privately, Barry could perhaps give his word but nothing would be signed and sealed!

gawa316

Quote from: stevo-08 on August 13, 2008, 10:45:42 AM
what about the team tonight lads. it nearly picks itself due to the guys injured or on olympic duty. with skrtel just coming back from injury, i dont think he'll start. should be something like this:

reina
arbeloa carra agger dossena
kuyt alonso gerrard benayoun
         keane torres

I'd go with that but with a different formation.
                  Reina
Arbeloa  Carra   Agger   Dossena
         Alonso   Gerrard
Kuyt         Keane      Benny
              Torres

stevo-08

Quote from: Minus15 on August 13, 2008, 12:29:37 PM
I am not so sure that come Jan 2010 Barry could sign a pre contract agreement with the reds. I could be wrong maybe the rules have changed in the last couple of years however it definitely used to be the case that you could only sign such deals with clubs from other countries and would have to wait until 1st June to sign for another English club. I think it is to prevent any controversy in case the two teams involved are both chasing Europe and meet on the last day of the season in a decider. However, privately, Barry could perhaps give his word but nothing would be signed and sealed!

That makes sense. You're probably spot on there Minus. Although i sincerely hope this is all sorted out this summer or January at the latest and we're not still talking about signing Barry in 2 years time  ::)

brokencrossbar1

QuoteBABEL HEADING FOR MASCH SHOWDOWN

Ryan Babel is likely to face clubmate Javier Mascherano in the quarter-finals of the Olympic Games after helping Holland to a 1-0 victory over Japan this morning. 
Babel played 90 minutes as the Dutch qualified from Group B, meaning he'll now go head to head with his Liverpool colleague so long as Argentina avoid defeat against Serbia this lunchtime.

Meanwhile, Lucas Leiva is set to face China at 12.45pm BST. Brazil have already qualified for the quarter-finals.

At least one of them will be back early!

Is the game tonight on live on TV at all?

I agree that no matter what happens in the UEFA Cup with Villa Barry will join before the week is out.  I also agree that if he plays it can drive the price down a few million. They should be able to qualify from the group stages without him.  It may work out better as the Oct/Nov months have been fateful to Liverpool's season over recent years and if he was fresh for those games it would take pressure off the likes of Gerrard, Masch and Alonso.  Play the fecker MON is what I say!