The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: BerfArmagh on August 11, 2008, 02:25:56 PM
Liverpool have turned into a real mickey mouse club. Rafa loses the run of himself, if he had'nt shouted his big mouth off in the first place and done his business on the QT, he would'nt be embarassed as he currently is.

At the end of the day, the money is'nt there. Rafa to spit his dummy out by the end of the week

Actually Rafa has said very little during the whole Barry saga apart from the fact that he is interested in the player after Liverpool lodged a number of offical bids which they are allowed to do. It was actually Martin O'Neill who was in the papers every second day whingeing about the whole thing because he didn't want to lose his best player.

And it's already been established that the money is there since they are now looking to spend it on a different player. What the yanks were objecting to was spending it on a 28 year old who they feel would have very little resale value in a few years and the fact that feel that he wasn't needed in the team. That's all well and good but it's not their job to tell the manager what type of player he should or should not be looking to sign. Would Ferguson would put up with it from the Glazers?

Hound

But in this case the Americans are probably right! Buying Barry for £18m does not make financial sense - unless it means we win the league, which presumably is what Benitez thinks.

I have no doubt that the fans' reaction to Alonso and Barry in the friendly v Lazio last Friday was fed back to the Yanks and that made up their minds for them. They probably think they are sure to have the fans support in this stance - and they'll find it very hard to comprehend when they don't  ;D

Shrewdness

Will Degen be a regular in the defence this season, or will he be another victim of Benitez's rotation policy ???

nifan

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 11, 2008, 08:13:39 PM
Will Degen be a regular in the defence this season, or will he be another victim of Benitez's rotation policy ???

It remains to be seen if he is better than the other options there.

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

brokencrossbar1

According to a few sources on other boards the Silva deal is more or less a done thing, but it could be just gossip stuff.  I would like to see someone like him, but I also think that Barry can offer a balance that others might not.  I don't know what would be more preferable, a proven Premiership quality player who fits into the system but is somewhat limited in overall skill or a better player, who is more skillful and may come a few million cheaper. 

The following article from Guillem Balague gives a decent insight.  He is normally pretty close to the mark and has an ongoing relationship with the Spanish connection at Anfield.  I would tend to give his word a lot of credence.

QuoteLiverpool have not given up on Barry

The Gareth Barry saga is not yet finished. I think Liverpool will have one final attempt at poaching the Aston Villa midfielder, and it is not necessarily linked to Xabi Alonso leaving Anfield.

According to some calculations within the club, Rafa Benitez has sold for a value close to £50 million; and he has spent around £28 million. That leaves something like £22 million available for further signings:  without him being forced to sell Xabi. Furthermore, it looks like the club - either Rafa or, most likely, individuals on the board - seem determined not to sell the Spanish midfielder. That could be for a number of reasons: either the bids from Juve and Arsenal, who offered £12 million pounds, were considered not to be enough; or someone at Liverpool believes the player is needed in the team. Has that footballing decision been taken by the board or the manager? That is a very interesting question.

The fact of the matter is, Liverpool need to fill a big hole on the left hand side: a hole that Barry could fill.

In attack, the full backs will take charge of the wing and the players used on the left of midfield will have to use space in the centre - and Barry would excel in that role. Liverpool also need English players as, year after year, clubs will be forced to reduce the number on non-nationals.

Nobody knows if Gareth Barry will end up at Anfield, but you can be sure the manager will do his best to get him

If he is to be believed then there is a kitty of in the region of £22m.  Liverpool seem to be doing to Villa what Madrid did to Liverpool over Owen.  They will test Villa to see how low they can go and how much they need to sell.  I think they will pick him up for £15m and Finnan.  If that is the case there is about £6m left.  If they were to sell Pennant and Vorinin they could pick up close to £9m.  This plus the £6m would go a long way to buying Silva.  But that could just be wishful thinking.

Carmen Stateside

I see Liverpool have been linked to a move for an unhappy Joe Cole!  Imo this would make more sense, hes a player that can play three positions aswell ;)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 11, 2008, 10:43:27 PM
I see Liverpool have been linked to a move for an unhappy Joe Cole!  Imo this would make more sense, hes a player that can play three positions aswell ;)

Where'd you hear this?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

I'd be very happy to see Joe Cole come to Liverpool
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Carmen Stateside

Would love it myself but cant see Chelsea selling to Liverpool! :-\

Mentalman

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 11, 2008, 10:43:27 PM

It would a great move, he's a guy who hasn't shown his full potential this past year and has bags of ability and attitude, but I cannot see it happening unfotunately.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

brokencrossbar1

Villa are also linked to Cole.  Chelsea will not sell to Liverpool.  The big 4 do not exchange players at all.  Liverpool could be sniffing to pressurise Villa to sort out the Barry deal. 

Hound

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 11, 2008, 08:13:39 PM
I doubt it. Even from the limited bit I've seen of him, I think its pretty clear that he's not as good a defender as Arbeloa (he came with a reputation as being dodgy defensively and in the one half he played at right back, he was badly at fault once and overall didnt look great), though he's better going forward - certainly he has pace and likes to charge forward (as he proved in his first appearance for Liverpool when he played more as a right winger), not sure about his delivery from wide.

My guess is he'll be used more often as a sub than a starter. But he will start a fair few games against some of the crappy teams.

GalwayBayBoy

Silva's agent has come out and said that Man U made a bid for him but that he doesn't want to leave Spain.