The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Keane got booed at every touch. Played quite well, albeit I'd say he was a tad frustrated. Worked probably harder than anyone, but often his runs were unseen by colleagues. Did well when in possession.

Reina also got booed as he was coming on, apparently because he blessed himself as he entered the field  :o

Good performance by Liverpool, though Rangers were poor.

Dossena made an amazing goal line clearance after Novo (I think) had left Diego for dead and was about to tap into the empty net. He did lose out quite badly though to Darcheville in a foot race at one stage though. Overall though it was the first time I've seen him look a proper player.

Plessis hit a screamer which the keeper parried and Torres tapped in.

Ngog scored a great goal, great run and nice finish with his left. He played very well, so hopefully I was wrong about him. Caveat would be that he didnt seem aware of what was around him, but that could be put down to being friendly mode.

Nemeth looked quite good when he came on. A bit unlucky not to score with his first touch, keeper saved and Yossi (who played very well) tapped in. Nemeth was also pulled down for the penalty after a nice ball by Alonso. Alonso tucked the penalty away expertly. Spearing did well also when he came on.

Pennant had a bit of a mare when he came on for the last 10 minutes or so. No sign of Voronin or Finnan.

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

corn02

Watched the first half yesterday, the pass and move was like the old glory daysd - great stuff.

I know it is only pre-season but over the last couple of games Skrtl has looked brilliant.

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Hound

Norf Tyrone

It's referance to their 'efforts' at the UEFA Cup final this year...remember?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stevo-08

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 02, 2008, 06:26:04 PM
N'Gog

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/7X4TLVDSDZGY70L4

Torres

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/VVY7J3H4600MKC2T

Great result.  Rangers are obviously ahead of Liverpool in their preseason as they start earlier.  A run of Clean sheets for the new guy Caviliri(sp?) and at last some goals.  With the Barry deal nearly done with Finnan going the other way and no word of Xavi leaving, I am confident for the first time on years.

From the sound of things, looks like we are shaping up well. However I am a bit worried about our full backs. Looks like Finnan & maybe Arbeloa could go and that might leave us a bit exposed in these positions with alot of responsibility resting on new arrivals Degen & Dossena. Hopefully Aurelio will stay injury free and we might see the best of him, but I would still worry that we're fairly weak in these areas and will get caught out against the stronger teams. However, we're certainly stronger in every other area of the pitch.

Hound

Arbeloa is definitely not going. His wife doesnt like the north of England but has been told to suck it up.

Not sure why Aurelio hasnt featured more in pre-season. Maybe he has a niggle?

Darby and Insua are genuine options too. And with experience, they will lose the naiviety they sometimes show.

Plus any of the centre backs bar Sami are capable of filling in at full back, so I think what we have will do well enough.

The biggest concern I have is missing Mascherano for the first few weeks. In my view he is one of our most important players, we have nobody who does what he does nearly as well as he does it.

brokencrossbar1

Hound I agree what you say that Masch is the best at what he does but I don't think he will  be the lose that he would be later in the season.  The first 3 games in the PL are not going to be earth shattering games and Liverpool should win them.  The Olympics is over on the 24th August and that means he will physically only miss two games as the Villa game is on the 31st, and that is presuming that Argentina go the whole way.

The big game he will be needed for is on the 13th Sept against United, he will be well rested and will also have had good quality game time under his playing for the argies, as will Lucas and Babel.  I actually think the Olympics could work in Liverpool's favour this year.

stiff breeze

benitez issued a statement this evening saying he is not looking to sell alonso in order to buy barry. happy days

GalwayBayBoy

By Ian Herbert
Monday, 4 August 2008

Gareth Barry is likely to complete his £18m move from Aston Villa to Liverpool this week

Liverpool will secure Gareth Barry's signature this week, following the concession of defeat by the Aston Villa manager, Martin O'Neill, in his summer-long battle to persuade the midfielder to stay.

Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benitez, is keen to wrap up an £18m cash deal – the valuation Villa have always placed on the player – as quickly as possible. He may have the England international at his disposal within 72 hours, provided there are no hitches with the cash advance which Liverpool's owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, are understood to have agreed to make.

Benitez had been told that he had to sell to buy and the chances of securing Barry's services seemed to have receded with the £19m purchase of the striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham Hotspur last week. But Hicks and Gillett are understood to have provided the £18m needed to buy Barry ahead of possible further sales, and may be willing to write off any shortfall remaining after the transfer window closes.

Liverpool's major hope of helping to recoup the full sum receded further yesterday, however, when the Juventus manager, Claudio Ranieri, said after a 3-0 defeat to Hamburg in London that he was no longer considering a move for Xabi Alonso. The Italian club had never tabled a firm offer for the Spain midfielder.

Benitez can still hope that Jermaine Pennant will bring in £4m, should Blackburn Rovers develop their known interest in the winger. Andrei Voronin could bring in £6m and Steve Finnan £2m. Alvaro Arbeloa's departure has also been anticipated, though Benitez last week dismissed suggestions that the Spaniard might be unhappy at the club.

Liverpool remained hopeful of signing Barry after the drama of last Wednesday, when Villa made an unexpected declaration that the England player was to stay, minutes after the conclusion of a deadline they had imposed. Liverpool made no progress on the matter on Friday but Barry had actually persuaded O'Neill to give up on his services on Thursday morning. O'Neill, who has never been short of public proclamations on the issue, revealed as much after Villa's 1-1 draw at Reading in a friendly on Saturday.

O'Neill said that Barry and his agent, Alex Black, had felt that Liverpool could still do the deal. The Villa manager had hoped a £60,000-a-week offer might tempt the midfielder to stay.

"I was obviously very disappointed that that was still part of the scenario going forward," O'Neill said. "I gave it some thought and realised that at the end of it all there was little point in pretending. Gareth would want to join Liverpool and therefore there would be no deadline.

"I have agreed with Gareth now that Liverpool have got all the time in the world if they want to raise the money. That's the case. That's it. The ball is firmly in Liverpool's court, that's fine, not a problem."

For a manager who has railed against Liverpool and Benitez all summer, such a change of course and tone is surprising. But O'Neill can show that his club have earned every penny they were demanding for Barry, with a considerable amount payable immediately. It is understood Liverpool have accepted Villa's demand that the £18m be delivered in two instalments.

At Liverpool, Hicks' role in the move provides the biggest boost to his reputation since he arrived at the club in February 2007. Though the biggest concern at Anfield has always been the two American owners' capacity to get a new stadium built, two top-bracket signings and Saturday's 4-0 friendly win at Rangers provide a sense at last that the club is moving forward.

heganboy

Xabi to Arsenal?

Arsène Wenger wants Xabi Alonso to form a Spanish midfield axis with Cesc Fábregas at Arsenal next season, provided Liverpool dramatically lower their £18m price for the marginalised playmaker.

Arsenal have made an initial approach for the 26-year-old Alonso, who has been told he can leave Anfield for the right price. His first-team prospects are threatened by the imminent arrival of Gareth Barry; Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benítez, hopes finally to complete the saga of Barry's £18m transfer from Aston Villa this week, after Martin O'Neill was forced to make a U-turn over his captain's future, and has insisted on a similar fee for Alonso as he attempts to balance the books.

Benítez's price tag, however, has deterred Arsenal from returning with a firm offer for a player they value at closer to the £10.5m Liverpool paid Real Sociedad for him four years ago. The deal will remain only a remote possibility unless Arsenal revise their stance or, despite Benítez's insistence that Alonso and Barry can operate in his already crowded central midfield, the Liverpool manager's need to raise funds forces a compromise.

"I don't think it will be easy [for him to leave]," admitted Benítez in Glasgow on Saturday. "The value of Alonso in the market will be really high. We are really pleased with him and we don't want him to go unless we get a very good price."

Liverpool had intended to sell Alonso to Juventus to finance Barry's transfer but, despite the collapse of that deal and a lack of suitors apart from Arsenal, Benítez will sign Villa's captain provided Liverpool's co-owners underwrite a loan to conclude the £18m deal. Tom Hicks and George Gillett promised the money before Villa's deadline to complete the transfer last week, only for a revised payment structure to cause Liverpool to miss the cut-off point - whereupon Villa issued a statement insisting, farcically, that the deal was off.

Liverpool's willingness to meet Villa's asking price led Barry and his agent, Alex Black, to insist again on the move on Friday morning. O'Neill and Randy Lerner, Villa's owner, then ended their resistance and put the onus back on Liverpool to come up with the package they had promised last week. "I gave it some thought and realised there is little point in pretending," said the Villa manager. "Gareth would want to join Liverpool and therefore there would be no deadline. I have agreed with Gareth now. That's it, no problem: Liverpool have all the time in the world to do it if they want to raise the money."
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minus15

Xabi must stay. Find the money for barry another way!

Mentalman

Fookin' disaster if Liverpool sell Xabi to Arsenal, especially at a lowered price. Is this what Liverpool are reduced too, selling good players to their rivals? And for what? So they can land Gareth Barry? Talk about being through the looking glass, this period under the Americans is turning into a nightmare.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Hound

Quote from: Mentalman on August 04, 2008, 02:12:29 PM
Fookin' disaster if Liverpool sell Xabi to Arsenal, especially at a lowered price. Is this what Liverpool are reduced too, selling good players to their rivals? And for what? So they can land Gareth Barry? Talk about being through the looking glass, this period under the Americans is turning into a nightmare.
FFS, Benitez preferring Barry to Alonso has absolutely nothing to do with the Americans!!

If Barry is signed, then Alonso will evenutally want to go because he'll be getting feck all games, so it'll make sense to sell him sooner rather than later to get a bigger fee.

Though of course everyone would much sooner see him playing with Atletico Madrid or similar rather than Arsenal!

And from what I've seen and read, about 20% of Liverpool supporters agree with Benitez that Barry is better than Alonso, but that's beside the point.