The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

I don't think Liverpool particularly want to sell Benayoun - but it seems an unsolicited bid from Man City has come in, and that if we are selling West Ham might also be interested. So be interesting to see what happens. Pennant seems likely to join Blackburn if the Bentley to Spurs move goes through. Buy a good winger for £10m or £12m to replace the two of them might be a decent idea (if we can find one!).

I think Voronin's been treated pretty harshly by a lot of Liverpool fans. He did quite well in his first couple of months as a support striker. But then was played out wide a few times and was really shíte, and that combined with injuries resulted in a loss of confidence. He cost nothing and I doubt he's on big money, so I think he's fine as 3rd or 4th choice striker. Not that I'd turn down a bid of £5m or £6m...

The Villareal friendly is on Sky Sports tonight alright. Plenty of reserves in the squad, and Nemeth and Ngog should see some action for the first time. Keane has travelled to Spain, but dunno whether he'll be involved.

corn02

The fact that he has even travelled will make me watch just in case.

For me all we need is one winger and that should be the spending. I was hoping for Bentley but if we got Silva and forgot about Barry I would be content, although I think Barry would be excellent, I don't rate him as necessary.

Hound

Quote from: corn02 on July 30, 2008, 02:14:59 PM

Which might be one of the reasons he has travelled!!

The headline on the LFC website is "Nemeth to play tonight" and it says Ngog and Keane may also figure. If Keane was really going to be playing I'd imagine the headline would be different!

According to this dude we have finally agreed to buy Barry. £17.5 million plus Finnan = £19m

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1039828/INSIDER-EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Villa-finally-agree-19m-deal-Gareth-Barry-England-star-secures-Anfield-move.html

corn02

Read that aan hour ago Hound and thought exactly the sawem thing, pretty much ensures Keane won't start.

Gabriel_Hurl

So is this how we line up for the season / our strongest XI?

-----------------------Reina-------------------------

-----------Skrtel-------------Agger ---------------

Carragher-------------------------------------Dossena-

-------------Mascherano------------Allonso----------

-----Gerrard------------------------------- Babel----

---------------------Keane-----------------------

-------------------------Torres--------------------

AZOffaly

It might be Gab, but I don't think Carra at right back is a good move for LFC.

I have a feeling the Barry deal will come off, and it'll be like

Reina

Degen   Carra/Skrtel   Agger  Dossena

Masch

Alonso      Barry

Gerrard

Keane
              Torres

brokencrossbar1

I think that could be it AZ, fairly narrow team but seriou talent across the middle.  I presume the plan will be that Masch will not further than 30 yards from the front of the back four, the two CB's will play deep and the FB will bomb up and down.  With Babel and Kut as realistic front options, Yossi and and Pennant as options for weaker teams and Vorinin to peddle his missus' wares on a street corner :P(have you seen the photos), they can make more of a go this year, but it will be very tough.

Stalin

A hard job guessing what will be Rafas preferred lineup/formation. Theres just so many options now with so many versatile players.

BABEL-RM/RWF/LM/FWD
GERRARD-RM/CM/AM/(LM)/SS
KUYT-RM/RWF/LM/FWD
BARRY-LM/CM/LB
KEANE-FWD/SS/RWF

From those five the amount of versatility is amazing. Throw in Torres who will almost always be used up front, and Lucas/Masch/Plessis/Alonso battling it out for the central midfield berths. Endless possibilities, no? :o

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

corn02

Am I the only one who would like to see Kuyt start on the right?

Stalin

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Mentalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2008, 02:50:39 PM

Reina

Masch

Alonso      Barry

Gerrard

Keane
              Torres

Would agree, if we are to play without wingers, then Carra at right back wouldn't be a great move. Irrespective of formation I think Carra at right back isn't an option unless Liverpool are short handed - just doesn't have the legs, pace, or distribution. He's a totally different proposition at centre half, where I expect him to start with Agger, and Skrtel providing cover.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

stevo-08

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2008, 02:50:39 PM

Reina

Masch

Alonso      Barry

Gerrard

Keane
              Torres

I think the Barry deal will go through but cant see us holding onto Alonso aswell. So I think the 6 "attacking" players will look something like this:

Masch
Kuyt                Barry
         Gerrard
     Keane Torres

I actually hope Rafa holds onto Bennyoun as I think he is a decent player who can change a game. But with the money situation, it just might not be possible.

stevo-08

Quote from: Hound on July 30, 2008, 02:30:39 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 30, 2008, 02:14:59 PM

Which might be one of the reasons he has travelled!!

The headline on the LFC website is "Nemeth to play tonight" and it says Ngog and Keane may also figure. If Keane was really going to be playing I'd imagine the headline would be different!

According to this dude we have finally agreed to buy Barry. £17.5 million plus Finnan = £19m

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1039828/INSIDER-EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Villa-finally-agree-19m-deal-Gareth-Barry-England-star-secures-Anfield-move.html

The guardian also running the story, sounds like the saga is finally coming to a close. Thats a fair bit of spending in the space of a week. But i suppose it's sends out a clear message where Rafa's priorities lie this season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/30/liverpool.astonvilla

Mentalman

Quote from: stevo-08 on July 30, 2008, 03:31:17 PM
I actually hope Rafa holds onto Bennyoun as I think he is a decent player who can change a game. But with the money situation, it just might not be possible.

Definitely. If they can keep him, he can turn games, and should definitely be given his game at home against non-top 4 teams - can be devastating when given the freedom to roam.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."