The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on July 25, 2008, 09:47:34 PM
Bet you are delighted to be getting shot of that tube Arbeloa
If you get Keane it would be a decent signing
LL, are you on the f**king drink? Finnan & Irwin arent in the same f**king league :D :D

While i wouldn't have as much as a gap between the two as you seem to think there is i never actually said Finnan was in the same league as Irwin i just said he was like our(ie Liverpool's) Denis Irwin as in the way he was dependable and a more than decent full back who very rarely let you down and even more rarely courted the spotlight..
Irwin was very underrated and never got the acclaim he deserved and i think Finnan was the same..
I remember reading a interview with Stevie G a few seasons back just after he was named Liverpool player of the year where he said Finnan was the player he and he said Carra would have given player of the year at Liverpool too...

I would agree Arbeloa was a tube though :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

I have been doing a bit of thinking about the pre season and transfer activity.

Of the big rivals to Liverpool, Manure have not signed anyone yet and Sir Fallic looks like he isn't going to do too much business.  Berbatov may come and strenghten the attack, but I think they really should hav einvested in another top class defender.  Also the whole Ronaldo thing is bound to have caused disruption.

Arsenal have lost Lehman,Hleb, gilberto and Flamini.  Ramsey has come in but he is one for the future.  Adebayor is unhappy and might leave and they are still relying on Almunia to keep out goals.  The on big positive for them is that Fabregas will come back on a major high from the Euros.

Chelsea have brought in new players in Deco and Boswinga and may bring in one or two more.  Deco is good but 30 and it will be interesting to see how he adapts to playing against the likes of Stoke in a wet winter afternoon. Lampard may leave, Drogba is a possible mover too.  with a new manager and restless owner this could be a mixture for trouble yet.

Liverpool have the 4 Spaniards coming back on a high, and if Alonso stays I think he can raise his game back to where it was 2 seasons ago.  We have gotten rid of some dead wood.  We have strengthened the FB positions.  Having Dagger back is like signing a new player.  With the Kenane deall all but a formality we will have a proven goal scorer as support to Torres.  Babel will only improve on a promising first season and the likes of Lucas will hopefully start showing what he can really do. 

If the likes of Vorinin, Pennant and maybe even Arbeloa if he is going can be sold we may still be able to keep Xavi and buy Barry.We should pick up £12-13m for those 3.  With the younger players like Nemeth, Pacheo and Spearing and the new lad Ngog hopefully bringing new freshness into the squad I think there are more positives than negatives. 

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 25, 2008, 11:21:04 PM

Of the big rivals to Liverpool, Manure have not signed anyone yet and Sir Fallic looks like he isn't going to do too much business.  Berbatov may come and strenghten the attack, but I think they really should hav einvested in another top class defender.  Also the whole Ronaldo thing is bound to have caused disruption.

Arsenal have lost Lehman,Hleb, gilberto and Flamini.  Ramsey has come in but he is one for the future.  Adebayor is unhappy and might leave and they are still relying on Almunia to keep out goals.  The on big positive for them is that Fabregas will come back on a major high from the Euros.

Chelsea have brought in new players in Deco and Boswinga and may bring in one or two more.  Deco is good but 30 and it will be interesting to see how he adapts to playing against the likes of Stoke in a wet winter afternoon. Lampard may leave, Drogba is a possible mover too.  with a new manager and restless owner this could be a mixture for trouble yet.

Liverpool have the 4 Spaniards coming back on a high, and if Alonso stays I think he can raise his game back to where it was 2 seasons ago.  We have gotten rid of some dead wood.  We have strengthened the FB positions.  Having Dagger back is like signing a new player.  With the Kenane deall all but a formality we will have a proven goal scorer as support to Torres.  Babel will only improve on a promising first season and the likes of Lucas will hopefully start showing what he can really do. 

If the likes of Vorinin, Pennant and maybe even Arbeloa if he is going can be sold we may still be able to keep Xavi and buy Barry.We should pick up £12-13m for those 3.  With the younger players like Nemeth, Pacheo and Spearing and the new lad Ngog hopefully bringing new freshness into the squad I think there are more positives than negatives. 

Nothing like a bit of PMA Brokencrossbar fair play to ya!
Any chance you'd give the Laois boys a teamtalk before tomorrow nights game v Down?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 25, 2008, 11:25:18 PM

Nothing like a bit of PMA Brokencrossbar fair play to ya!
Any chance you'd give the Laois boys a teamtalk before tomorrow nights game v Down?

PMA is one thing, performing miracles is beyond my skills.  :P

I see Leicster have signed Hobbs on loan for the year. Rieira will be the last addition to the Liverpool squad I think.

Yes I Would

I hope your right broken, but Chelsea and Utd have spent so much over the previous 2 or 3 years and have such depth that there is quite a gap to be bridged. Arsenal less so, as the young players brought in could take time to settle. Chelseas bubble will burst but i feel it will be next season as the Scolari factor will keep them going for another while yet.
This should be the year to really have a go at these top 3. Now we mightnt win it but if we can contest right till the end then progress has been made and the elusive first premiership shouldnt be far off.

Minder

Chelseas "bubble" will only burst if Abramovich pisses off.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Yes I Would

brokencrossbar1

I probably should have put in a proviso that I think there is a huge difference between making the jump.  But don't forget that two results last year defined Liverpools season, the losses to United.  The results against the other top 4 teams will decide the destiny again of the PL and if Liverpool can pick up one win against each of them, at home presumably, I think they will win the PL.  Easier said than done but not beyond the realms of possibility.

under the bar

QuoteBut don't forget that two results last year defined Liverpools season, the losses to United.

In what way?  How many wins did you pick up against Arsenal & Chelsea?

The Real Laoislad

Sunday July 27 2008

LIVERPOOL have agreed to sign Robbie Keane from Tottenham, with the Irish international striker ready to be unveiled at Anfield this week.

The clubs negotiated an £18m fee yesterday, while Keane, 28, has agreed to sign a five-year deal believed to be worth £80,000 a week.

Keane will travel to Anfield tomorrow for his medical, allowing Liverpool to unveil the player before the squad flies out to Spain for pre-season games on Tuesday.

Rafael Benitez, the Liverpool manager, was busy finalising the deal over the past two days and has secured the striker he believes has the "game intelligence" to best complement the talents of top-scorer Fernando Torres.

The deal had hit problems in the early stages after the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy reported Liverpool to the Premier League for making their interest in Keane public. Neither Liverpool nor Tottenham were willing to make official comment on the deal last night.

For Keane it represents the opportunity to play for the club he supported as a boy and compete in the Champions League.

The move to Anfield is the fifth big transfer of his career, having previously played for Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan and Leeds, and the Dubliner has now commanded fees totalling an astonishing £56m.

With Manchester United finalising their £35m British record signing of Carlos Tevez, the top clubs in the Premier League are finally making their much-anticipated moves in the transfer market, with a summer of record spending in prospect.

The sale of Keane frees up Spurs to pursue David Villa. The Spanish striker's agent, Jose Luis Tamargo, has invited the club to follow up their preliminary interest.

"David likes London and likes how Tottenham play with Juande Ramos," Tamargo said. "This is a club that excites him."

Valencia had claimed they were unwilling to sell Villa after his heroics for Spain at Euro 2008 but their stance softened last week and they will listen to offers of £25m for the player.

- DUNCAN WHITE
The Telegraph
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stiffler

Keanes a great signing, will add much more to the current squad over Gareth Barry.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

The Real Laoislad

I don't think he alone will be enough,I hope Rafa has another ace up his sleeve i would like a few wingers..
I thought Stuart Downing would have been a good option
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stevo-08

keane is an excellent buy. 18m is alot of money and only time will tell if he's worth that much. But bottom line is that Keane In & Crouch Out represents a huge improvement to the squad.

SCENTOFSAM

Depending on what Moyes , O'Neill and 'Arry do in the transfer market, this summers signings should just about cement your customary Champions League Qualifying position --4th