The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hound on July 18, 2008, 07:28:00 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 17, 2008, 02:43:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2008, 07:48:50 AM
One of the rumours yesterday was that Newcastle were in for Insua. They'd be pulling out of that pretty sharpish if they saw his performance yesterday. Degen didnt look too hot either

One bad game - and now we're selling him?  ??? ??? ???

The lad is excellent - he was part of the Argie team that won the U-20 World Cup last year - and I saw him in the flesh a good few times.
The link was before the bad game.
He is a nice footballer, good ability, good on the ball. But suspect defensively. I'd say he'll be firmly behind Aurelio and Dossena in the pecking order.

Plessis is a donkey. I'm choosing not to like him and to give him no leeway!

I believe the formation will be 4-2-3-1 in any big games. Mascherano and Barry/Alonso as the 2, and Kuyt/Gerrard/Babel as the 3. Keane could slot into any of the front 4 positions - hopefully Kuyt's mostly. I think Babel will play a lot more this year - though the Olympics will delay that.

A big talking point and potential turing point this year will be when Carragher gets left out of his first big game. I have no doubt that Agger/Skrtel will be the best CB partnership.

Would not agree Agger/Skrtel would be the best CB partnership,Carra has a lot of milage left in him,i wouldn't be ready to kick him to the sideline that quickly
I think Carra/Agger will be the preferred option fot the bigger more important games
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stevo-08

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 17, 2008, 03:10:48 PM
I don't think we'll see Steven Gerrard being put out on the right again, except in the odd game where we are going defensive. I have a feeling, on the targets being mentioned, that Liverpool might be playing a flavour of 4-3-1-2 this year, if the targets come off. Width will be sacrificed, with marauding full backs supposed to offer the outlet.

Something like

Reina

Arbeloa/Degan      Agger   Carra/Skrtel      Dossena/Aurelio

Mascherano
         Kuyt/Alonso           Barry
                Gerrard

Keane
               Torres

You're probably right there AZ. And it also helps understand why Rafa hasnt gone for Bentley, and is looking rid of Pennant. In general I dont have a big problem in sacrificing out and out wingers (even in some of the very strong Liverpool teams, only one winger was employed - eg. Barnes on left wing with somebody like Houghton or Beardsley on the right), but to operate effectively this way you need at least 1 good creative player who can break teams down through the middle - like Fabregas does for arsenal or the aformentioned Beardsley for Liverpool, and before him dalglish.
Unfortunately I dont see too many players even close to that calibre in the current Liverpoo squad - Alonso, Bennyoun are probably our only real playmakers and we're trying to offload alonso. Keane, if bought will probably help. But yet again I can see us struggling to hurt the top teams and also fail to break down some teams in the top half of the PL.

corn02

Rmours we are getting 3mill for Vornoin, world has gone crazy.

AZOffaly

3 MILLS for Voronin. His hairdryer is broken, so they need alternative way of drying his golden, flowing locks.

corn02

A fellow Liverpool fan made the point that it is typical that we will get Keane for the same price as United will get Berbatov, or near enough. Do people see that much difference in class between them. There is only one year in age difference and Keane has a better strike rate for Spurs..

AZOffaly

If you asked me which one I'd want, I think I'd go for Keane. It's much of a muchness though, Berbatov on his day is great, but he's a bit lazy. PRobably Fergie will need the old hairdryer treatment a few times.

Keane has been far better for Spuds than for Ireland, so I'd hope he'd be better again at Liverpool. We'll see.

bingobus

Quote from: corn02 on July 18, 2008, 10:35:02 AM
A fellow Liverpool fan made the point that it is typical that we will get Keane for the same price as United will get Berbatov, or near enough. Do people see that much difference in class between them. There is only one year in age difference and Keane has a better strike rate for Spurs..

We must know the same fella!!

Berbatov is better because he is not Irish. Prob a more skillful player but nowhere near as hard working outside the box. Keane will give you everything, day in day out and chip in with a fair share of goals. Keane can prob play in a couple of positions, out wide, off a striker or as a striker up front. Berbatov is best and restricted to in the close to the box.

Its horses for courses. I don't think United would need Keane with Rooney and Tevez in that mould, while I couldn't berbatov been Rafa's type of player or fitting his system. Both should do well with their new clubs, although if Berbatov gets rotated too often he may sulk but Fergie always seems to keep everyone happy.

Happy with Keane, once he doesn;t roll like a Irish Gymnast.

stevo-08

Quote from: bingobus on July 18, 2008, 10:42:40 AM
Berbatov is better because he is not Irish. Prob a more skillful player but nowhere near as hard working outside the box. Keane will give you everything, day in day out and chip in with a fair share of goals. Keane can prob play in a couple of positions, out wide, off a striker or as a striker up front. Berbatov is best and restricted to in the close to the box.

Its horses for courses. I don't think United would need Keane with Rooney and Tevez in that mould, while I couldn't berbatov been Rafa's type of player or fitting his system. Both should do well with their new clubs, although if Berbatov gets rotated too often he may sulk but Fergie always seems to keep everyone happy.

Happy with Keane, once he doesn;t roll like a Irish Gymnast.

Eh??? Strange comment to make.

But I agree, Berbatov will suit utd better & keane should suit Liverpool - hopefully form a great partnership with torres.

bingobus

I meant that tongue in cheek. Berbatov would be hyped more as a stylist foreigner while Keane would be a lowly Paddy. Even the Irish press would talk down Keane if you get me.

stevo-08

ah yes, understood. Thats certainly true and if both deals go through, I'd expect Keane to go for at least 5-6m less than Berbatov, even though both players could prove equal worth to the clubs involved. Actually, of the two, I think Berbatov would be the riskier purchase.

brokencrossbar1

QuoteScott Carson has today signed for Barclays Premier League new boys West Bromwich Albion. 
The England international goalkeeper has reportedly penned a four-year deal at the Hawthorns after the two clubs struck a deal.

Carson made nine Liverpool appearances after signing from Leeds in January 2005.

The highlight of his Anfield career came when he featured against Juventus in the quarter-finals of the 2005 Champions League.

The past two seasons have been spent on loan at Charlton and Aston Villa, in which time he has won two international caps.

Deal done, no mention of money but would probably be £3.5 - £4.  Bets of luck to him, he never really got the chance to impress but he is a decent keeper.

corn02

GalwayBayBoy

Hound

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 18, 2008, 08:09:34 AM

Would not agree Agger/Skrtel would be the best CB partnership,Carra has a lot of milage left in him,i wouldn't be ready to kick him to the sideline that quickly
I think Carra/Agger will be the preferred option fot the bigger more important games
Carragher made an enormous amount of errors last year. Although they generally get ignored by Liverpool fans. He definitely lost half a yard of pace last year resulting in many of the last ditch tackles he's famous for getting the man rather than the ball.

Skrtel wasnt immune from errors himself, but that was mostly down to naivitey, when he looked like he was trying to be Alan Hansen (not always a good idea to give new signings videos of past triumphs  ;D ). They are easily cut out. Agger is a far better centre back than Carragher, and I'm sure Skrtel will prove to be similar by Christmas.   

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hound on July 18, 2008, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 18, 2008, 08:09:34 AM

Carragher made an enormous amount of errors last year. Although they generally get ignored by Liverpool fans. He definitely lost half a yard of pace last year resulting in many of the last ditch tackles he's famous for getting the man rather than the ball.

Skrtel wasnt immune from errors himself, but that was mostly down to naivitey, when he looked like he was trying to be Alan Hansen (not always a good idea to give new signings videos of past triumphs  ;D ). They are easily cut out. Agger is a far better centre back than Carragher, and I'm sure Skrtel will prove to be similar by Christmas.   

Well sure time will tell..I still think Carra will be first choice CB along with Agger for the major games
You'll Never Walk Alone.