The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

I thought he did pretty well in the Arsenal game last season.

Definitely the performnace of Pacheco was impressive, but for me the return of Agger was the best bit - very classy player and a full pre-season will be vital for him.

Billys Boots

A prolonged Agger and Skyrtl combination at centres could be the making of that side.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Chrisowc

Quote from: hardstation on July 16, 2008, 10:09:01 PM
At least yis'll have another Robbie.

A blasphemer!!!!!

Are there any women here?.......Sorry that's Ziggy's thread
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Uladh

£18m is a fair price for keane in the current transfer market

brokencrossbar1

Keane would be an excellent acqusition and Barry should be forgotten about. 

I agree with the Billy boy that Skertel and Agger would be the ideal CB pairing.  They would compliment each other in my view the way Vidic and Ferdinand do. Skertel and Vidic are similar players as are Rio and Dagger.  It would seem that Rafa is looking at a slight change in formation if he is looking at Keane but at least it will offer different options

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2008, 07:48:50 AM
One of the rumours yesterday was that Newcastle were in for Insua. They'd be pulling out of that pretty sharpish if they saw his performance yesterday. Degen didnt look too hot either

One bad game - and now we're selling him?  ??? ??? ???

The lad is excellent - he was part of the Argie team that won the U-20 World Cup last year - and I saw him in the flesh a good few times.

AZOffaly

It's silly season Gab. Never judge anyone in pre-season, good or bad. Look at Voronin again, off scoring in pre-season again. Wouldn't score in Ma Reilly's with a fist full of €50 notes during the season.

stevo-08

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 17, 2008, 11:09:22 AM
Keane would be an excellent acqusition and Barry should be forgotten about. 

I agree with the Billy boy that Skertel and Agger would be the ideal CB pairing.  They would compliment each other in my view the way Vidic and Ferdinand do. Skertel and Vidic are similar players as are Rio and Dagger.  It would seem that Rafa is looking at a slight change in formation if he is looking at Keane but at least it will offer different options

completely agree with that. Although I dont think Rafa has forgotten about Barry just yet.

If we do get keane (and i agree it would be an excellent signing), I think gerrard might revert to right midfield or else CM in a standard 4-4-2 formation. Or else push him up just behind torres & keane in 4-3-1-2. Agger's return to the team will also give rafa another option of playing 3 at the back. anyway, lets just hope the keane deal goes through and then it'll be interesting to see how he sets up the side.

regarding alonso, i wouldnt rule out him departing the club just yet. But cant see rafa letting him go to arsenal. no chance...

AZOffaly

I don't think we'll see Steven Gerrard being put out on the right again, except in the odd game where we are going defensive. I have a feeling, on the targets being mentioned, that Liverpool might be playing a flavour of 4-3-1-2 this year, if the targets come off. Width will be sacrificed, with marauding full backs supposed to offer the outlet.

Something like

Reina

Arbeloa/Degan      Agger   Carra/Skrtel      Dossena/Aurelio

Mascherano
         Kuyt/Alonso           Barry
                Gerrard

Keane
               Torres

TacadoirArdMhacha

Reina

Arbeloa/Degan      Agger   Carra/Skrtel      Dossena/Aurelio

Mascherano
         Kuyt/Alonso           Barry
                Gerrard

Keane
               Torres[/quote

The balance in that side would be a lot better with Alonso, rather than Kuyt. How likely is Alonso staying? That side might even be good enough to challenge for 3rd.  ;)

Great goal from Voronin last night.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 17, 2008, 03:10:48 PM
I don't think we'll see Steven Gerrard being put out on the right again, except in the odd game where we are going defensive. I have a feeling, on the targets being mentioned, that Liverpool might be playing a flavour of 4-3-1-2 this year, if the targets come off. Width will be sacrificed, with marauding full backs supposed to offer the outlet.

Something like

Reina

Arbeloa/Degan      Agger   Carra/Skrtel      Dossena/Aurelio

Mascherano
         Kuyt/Alonso           Barry
                Gerrard

Keane
               Torres

I see where you are going with this team/formation, but it does not alow for Babel, unless you see him as being the back up striker for Keane.

AZOffaly

I see Babel as a sub this year again, either for Torres/Keane or even if we switch to a 4-1-3-2 formation again.

stiffler

Stoke withdraw from Carson chase 

Carson made his debut for England against Austria in November
Stoke have abandoned their pursuit of England goalkeeper Scott Carson, but other Premier League clubs are still in the running for the Liverpool player.

Liverpool and Stoke are understood to have agreed a fee of about £4m for Carson, but the deal has now collapsed.

Blackburn are believed to be on the verge of making an offer for Carson, with their first-choice keeper Brad Friedel a target for Aston Villa.

The 22-year-old has also been linked with Premier League new boys West Brom.

Carson got as far as travelling to Stoke's Britannia Stadium on Monday to open negotiations over personal terms but an agreement could not be reached.

A brief statement from the club read: "Stoke City can announce that we are no longer pursuing Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson.

606: DEBATE
It's not really a surprise

sgtpotter89
"The club will continue to look to improve the squad and remain hopeful of closing in on several new signings ahead of the Barclays Premier League campaign."

Carson joined Liverpool from Leeds for £750,000 in 2005, but spent last season on loan at Aston Villa, making 35 Premier League appearances.

The proposed £4m fee marked a major reduction in the player's asking price, with Liverpool previously holding out for around £10m.

Aston Villa had been favourites to sign Carson on a permanent basis but manager Martin O'Neill's interest appeared to cool with Tottenham keeper Paul Robinson emerging as a more likely target for the Villans.

Liverpool, who have already sold Peter Crouch to Portsmouth this summer, are keen to free up transfer funds as they look to finalise a deal for Villa captain Gareth Barry and continue to chase Spurs striker Robbie Keane.

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

GalwayBayBoy

David Hytner and Sid Lowe Madrid
The Guardian, Friday July 18, 2008

Robbie Keane moved closer to his dream transfer to Liverpool yesterday as the Merseysiders prepared to make an offer worth in the region of £20m for the striker, and Juande Ramos, the Tottenham manager, admitted that his club would be duty bound to consider it.

Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, has identified Keane as a realistic target up front - he envisages forming a partnership with Fernando Torres - and as the club's move for the Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry encounters difficulties they have made Keane their priority signing.

Liverpool reason that having sold Peter Crouch to Portsmouth for £11m, and with funds tight, their need is more urgent for a replacement striker. They had hoped to sell the midfielder Xabi Alonso to Juventus to swell the transfer kitty but the Italian club signed Christian Poulsen from Sevilla instead and have declared that their summer spending is over. Although Liverpool still want Barry, who is also desperate to join them, they have refused to pay Villa's asking price of £18m. The Barry saga has rumbled on since the end of last season to damaging effect and Liverpool, who have opened a channel of communication with Tottenham, do not want a repeat over Keane. They intend to act decisively.

Tottenham have maintained that neither Keane nor Dimitar Berbatov, their other leading striker, who is the subject of a £20m bid from Manchester United, are for sale. They have not encouraged the interest in either player and, as ever, the chairman Daniel Levy will play hard ball with their suitors. United will have to increase their offer for Berbatov and appear content to play a waiting game, yet things are expected to move more quickly with Keane and Liverpool

Hound

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 17, 2008, 02:43:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2008, 07:48:50 AM
One of the rumours yesterday was that Newcastle were in for Insua. They'd be pulling out of that pretty sharpish if they saw his performance yesterday. Degen didnt look too hot either

One bad game - and now we're selling him?  ??? ??? ???

The lad is excellent - he was part of the Argie team that won the U-20 World Cup last year - and I saw him in the flesh a good few times.
The link was before the bad game.
He is a nice footballer, good ability, good on the ball. But suspect defensively. I'd say he'll be firmly behind Aurelio and Dossena in the pecking order.

Plessis is a donkey. I'm choosing not to like him and to give him no leeway!

I believe the formation will be 4-2-3-1 in any big games. Mascherano and Barry/Alonso as the 2, and Kuyt/Gerrard/Babel as the 3. Keane could slot into any of the front 4 positions - hopefully Kuyt's mostly. I think Babel will play a lot more this year - though the Olympics will delay that.

A big talking point and potential turing point this year will be when Carragher gets left out of his first big game. I have no doubt that Agger/Skrtel will be the best CB partnership.