The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

On current rumours the door will smash off the hinges the amount of coming and going.  

I agree with the Stiff man in that the focus should be on these players.  If we assume that half the budget (£8m) has been spent on Dossena that leaves about £12m according to reports I have read.  Leave Barry at Villa and keep Alonso, net gain of £4-5m on current Sun valuations :P  Sell the following,

Crouch   £10m
Carson    £6m
Riise       £5m
Finnan    £2m
Pennant  £4m
Idtanje   £2m(apparaently Fulham are interested and Rafa will let him go)
Voronin  a packet of Cheese and Onion Tayto and a Pint of Stout(or £2m if we can get that)

These are not unreasonable expectations, so added to the the apparent transfer budget surplus that leaves £43m.  Pay £25m for Villa, get a serious right winger for £15m and get an experienced 2nd keeper a la Harper at Newcastle.  Give Nemeth,Spearing,Plessis and Insua more game time in the first team and you have a serious squad.  Or maybe I am living in dreamland!

glens73

Quote from: stiffler on June 13, 2008, 09:41:14 AM
Quote from: glens73 on June 13, 2008, 09:34:16 AM
Quote from: stiffler on June 13, 2008, 09:25:35 AM
Let Villa keep a player who doesnt want to play for them next season.

In my opinion, Barry over Alonso would improve the squad a little, but not enough to warrant the extra £6million or whatever from the transfer kitty.

Now my targets are as follows:

David Villa
A right winger
, with pace and who can cross a ball

Players to go:

Finnan (surplus to requirements)
Crouch (need to sell to finance Villa)
Carson (Wants 1st team football)
Voronin (Renford Rejects are after him)
Pennant (just aint good enough)
Riise (been awful last 18months)

This may leave the squad light in a few places, but there is plenty of talent in the reserve squad to step up to the challenge. I would say that some of the younger players are better than the current squad fillers anyway.

David Villa is not a right winger, he is a striker (got a hat trick the other day for Spain v Russia). He would be a great asset for Liverpool and would settle well with Torres but I'd say his price will be sky high after the other day.

I think I know that, that why i said my targets are as follows.

I want Liverpool to sign David Villa for up front and a right winger to compete with Dirk Kuyt for that position. Unless Chelsea go in for him, he wont cost more than £25 million.

Sorry Stiffler, misread your comment.

I still think Villa will be too dear. Even if Chelski don't go for him I'd say one if not both of the Milan clubs may go for him. They'll be overhauling their squads in the summer and I'd say they would be interested in a player of his quality.

I'm not sure who Liverpool could get if they can't afford him. Mario Gomez for Germany was Budelsiga player of the year last year and scored 6 in his first 10 German caps. I know he's not been brilliant so far in the Euro's but I'd say he could be a good option as Liverpool need a big man with Crouch probably going.

corn02

So who for winger. I have always been impressed by Quaresma and Mancini but the one I want is Bentley.

brokencrossbar1

Bentley would be number 1 choice with either of the two others or Simao

corn02

Forgot about Simao, good call.

Totally agree with your post a couple up btw. Especially the likes of Nemneth etc.

brokencrossbar1

I also had a bit of a thought about how to get rid of Carson and get Harper.  If Given is Arsenal bound, offer Carson for £6m and Harper and I think mad KK would take it.

Minder

Im not sure about Quaresma, he is either brilliant or s8ite, there is no middle ground. Not sure he would relish going to Wigan in December.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stevo-08

Quote from: Minder on June 13, 2008, 11:07:21 AM
Im not sure about Quaresma, he is either brilliant or s8ite, there is no middle ground. Not sure he would relish going to Wigan in December.......

agree with that. And Quaresma aint a "Rafa Style" player. If the Barry deal goes south, which it looks like, I'd expect Rafa to go for Bentley.

corn02

corn02

£14 mill agreed for Alonso which means we will probably cough up 18 -odd mill for Barry.  ::)

Norf Tyrone

To swop Barry for Alonso and £4m (Technically) would be great business IMHO.
I think yousons will be on here singing his praises in September!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 13, 2008, 04:11:19 PM

Totally agree with Norf I think ye are all being very harsh on Barry
I think he would be a excellent player for Liverpool and 15mill+ is worth it imho
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stevo-08

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 13, 2008, 04:17:17 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 13, 2008, 04:11:19 PM

Totally agree with Norf I think ye are all being very harsh on Barry
I think he would be a excellent player for Liverpool and 15mill+ is worth it imho

Lads, Barry is 27 and has barely broken into the England team/squad. He's a good player but 15-20m is daylight robbery. I'd imagine bentley would be in that same valuation, and he's only 24 and a better player in my opinion.

unfortunately alonso has been in very poor form for the last 18mths but mark my wors, he'll be an absolute star for Juve in Italy. Best of luck to him.

Norf Tyrone

Barely broke into the English squad? That's hardly a hanging matter. This is squads picked by Sven, and MacLaren. Hardly a pair with a great record for Engerland?

I just think he'd do the shoveling to let Gerard do what he does, but if he had to change a game and power forward in tandem he'd do that too.

I hope you are all proved right btw.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

The Real Laoislad

In fairness though stevo look who he is up against in the English team Lampard and Gerrard
Also i don't think its a fair reflection on a player to judge him on his England caps..Look at Rio Ferdinand ffs how many more caps has he than Carra? An we know Carra is a far better player than Rio..
The English team are huge failure and just because Barry isn't being capped too often wouldn't really bother me
You'll Never Walk Alone.