The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo-08

Liverpool's finances not looking too good under the americans. and with us being linked to the likes of milner & downing, seems like more of the same for the summer ahead. Need to flog some of the deadwood asap...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/10/liverpool

Benítez budget intact despite £33m Kop loss
Andy Hunter The Guardian, Tuesday June 10 2008

Rafael Benítez has been assured his transfer budget will not be reduced as a result of the substantial losses incurred during Tom Hicks' and George Gillett's takeover of Liverpool, although the Spaniard's spending rests heavily on the amount raised through player sales this summer.

The first set of accounts released by Kop Holdings Limited, the company formed to facilitate the purchase of Liverpool in February 2007, have revealed a loss of £33m for the year ending July 31, 2007, with £1.2m reclaimed by Gillett and Hicks in personal expenses. Gillett claimed expenses totalling £823,000 for the loans required to complete the initial £220m takeover.

He also claimed £375,000 in travel and legal expenses, of which £100,000 were unpaid as of July 31 last year. Kop Holdings also incurred £133,000 in transaction expenses from Hicks, who claimed £198,000 in travel, legal and other expenses; £244,000 of Hicks' total was listed as unpaid as of July 31, 2007.

The Americans also wrote off £10.32m when they abandoned the original plans for a new stadium on Stanley Park in favour of their own design while Kop Investment LLC, the parent company, made an inter-company loan of £64m to the club to service the interest repayments on January's refinancing package.

Despite these ominous figures, the £350m refinancing deal accounted for this summer's transfer dealings and Benítez's budget is in place, although it is understood to be far from what the manager would like. The Spaniard will have to raise much of his revenue through sales and Liverpool have opened negotiations with Roma regarding the possible sale of John Arne Riise, though the Italians have not met the £5m asking price.

J70

I presume the DIC stories will be starting again any day now.

corn02

As I said earlier in the thread, get Villa.

Chrisowc

Quote from: corn02 on June 11, 2008, 11:15:23 AM
As I said earlier in the thread, get Villa.

If he keeps going the way he started he'll cost £25m.

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

corn02

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: corn02 on June 11, 2008, 01:15:00 PM
Same price as Torres?

On last nights showing he is worth it..Himself and Torres seem to have a understanding of each other too
Christ it would be great to have both i wonder could Torres talk him into it!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

corn02

We have to be realistic, he had a poor season. I watched a fair bit of the Spanish football this year and he was nowhere near as good as the previous two seasns, but he was surrounded by a team od dirt this year.

He is nowhere near as good as Torres but is still absolute class. I would happily pay £20 million for him.

I texted Torres to ask him to join there, just waiting on a reply.

Minder

I just hope he isnt judged on his performances in Euro 08 which can be very misleading,he didnt score many last year but Valencia were piss poor, the last time a Liverpool manager bought players on the strength of a tournament we ended up with Diouf and Diao.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Hound

We had Baros before he played so well in the 2004 tournament.

Torben Piechnik and Phil Babb are two who we bought mainly on the strength of seemingly very good perfomances in major championships.

Villa is different class. But we can't afford him.

J70

Quote from: Hound on June 11, 2008, 01:37:58 PM

That's about the height of it.

Minder

Torben Piechnik and Phil Babb are two who we bought mainly on the strength of seemingly very good perfomances in major championships.

Well summed up, especially as we are making such a big outlay on that tube Barry.

corn02

I know Hound, was just agreeing with reputations an big tournaments.

Minder how is he a tube?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on June 11, 2008, 01:42:26 PM

Well summed up, especially as we are making such a big outlay on that tube Barry.

Wouldn't agree with calling Barry a tube i think he is a excellent player and his last two seasons with Villa have been great
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: corn02 on June 11, 2008, 01:45:27 PM
I know Hound, was just agreeing with reputations an big tournaments.

Minder how is he a tube?

I just think he is overvalued, over rated and the money could be spent better elsewhere, to be precise a right winger or creative midfielder.