The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo-08

Lads, will yiz give it a rest. this is getting embarassing.

Liverpool are 11pts behind league leaders, last year they finished 21pts behind Utd, the year before they finished 9 pts behind Chelsea & the year before that they finished 37pts behind chelsea. Those stats only say one thing - Liverpool dont have the squad to challenge for the PL. Now I happen to think 3 quality players will go along way to closing the gap, but thats a matter of opinion. Unfortunately, Liverpool just dont have the financial muscle to compete with Utd or Chelsea. Liverpool need to sell a player in order to buy a player. Utd & Chelsea just go out and buy who they want.

Anyone who thinks differently to the above needs a reality check. Now, for the love of Jaysus, will yiz ever leave down the gloves & move on.

full back

Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 01:21:28 PM
dirk is a legend. I think he will prove alot of people wrong next season.

This is what you said
It doesnt say anywhere you think he is a legend ::)

stiff breeze

Quote from: full back on May 06, 2008, 02:24:08 PM

This is what you said

WTF ?? do you actually read your posts after you write them. obviously i think he is a legend if i wrote that, some1 then asked if i was taking the p1ss and i said i was hoping more than anything which was in referral to the proving people wrong part. No matter wat happens dirk kuyt will always be a legend IMO

brokencrossbar1

I actually hope that the wholesale clearout that some people are calling for does not happen.  Yes, bring in new players, but we need the squad as well.  The likes of Pennant, Bennyoun, Arbeloa, Finnan, Aurelio, Kuyt and Lucas will be essential as squad players amd should be retained.  Crouch wants to leave as does Carson, Riise is done at this level, The Vorinator never made it at this level and Alonso looks unhappy.  They should pick up at least 30m for this clutch of players.  

Deggen is coming on a free, do hopefully that will give us one less position to pay out on.  Insua is good enough to make the step to the first team so with Carragher, Finnan Aurelio and Arbeloa all capable of playing there no money needs to be spent there.  If they have a kitty of £30m on top of the net from sales that makes £60m.  I am not sure if that is right but if it is, Bentley, Barry, a winger in the mould of Mancini from Roma and another striker, maybe Huntealaar.  It may not happen like that but these players could be picked up for the money spoken of.

On an aside, I don't know if anyone watches ESPN Classic.  The team of 87-88 were on last night with Aldo being interviewed.  That was some team, what I wouldn't give for Digger and Beardsley now!

full back

Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 02:31:05 PM

This is what you said

WTF ?? do you actually read your posts after you write them. obviously i think he is a legend if i wrote that, some1 then asked if i was taking the p1ss and i said i was hoping more than anything which was in referral to the proving people wrong part. No matter wat happens dirk kuyt will always be a legend IMO

Oh FFS ::)

stiff breeze

Quote from: full back on May 06, 2008, 02:35:49 PM

This is what you said

just to be clear I THINK your an idiot

full back

Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 02:43:18 PM
Quote from: full back on May 06, 2008, 02:35:49 PM

This is what you said

just to be clear I THINK your an idiot

Jesus wept...........

stevo-08

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 06, 2008, 02:34:48 PM
I actually hope that the wholesale clearout that some people are calling for does not happen.  Yes, bring in new players, but we need the squad as well.  The likes of Pennant, Bennyoun, Arbeloa, Finnan, Aurelio, Kuyt and Lucas will be essential as squad players amd should be retained.  Crouch wants to leave as does Carson, Riise is done at this level, The Vorinator never made it at this level and Alonso looks unhappy.  They should pick up at least 30m for this clutch of players.  

Deggen is coming on a free, do hopefully that will give us one less position to pay out on.  Insua is good enough to make the step to the first team so with Carragher, Finnan Aurelio and Arbeloa all capable of playing there no money needs to be spent there.  If they have a kitty of £30m on top of the net from sales that makes £60m.  I am not sure if that is right but if it is, Bentley, Barry, a winger in the mould of Mancini from Roma and another striker, maybe Huntealaar.  It may not happen like that but these players could be picked up for the money spoken of.

On an aside, I don't know if anyone watches ESPN Classic.  The team of 87-88 were on last night with Aldo being interviewed.  That was some team, what I wouldn't give for Digger and Beardsley now!

Not a lot wrong with that but i doubt we'll get the 30m you mention for those players.

Rafa now been linked with a move for Abidal. Certainly seems like there will be alot of movement at anfield this summer with Rafa not wasting any time.

EC Unique

Quote from: EC Unique on May 06, 2008, 12:09:38 PM
Seems a bit strange that Rafa takes off Liverpool's biggest scoring threat last Wednesday night with a hamstring problem when a goal was needed and then plays him on Saturday in a meaningless game and he scores! What is the craic there?

Does nobody think think this was strange???? ???

Gabriel_Hurl

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: EC Unique on May 06, 2008, 03:04:27 PM
Seems a bit strange that Rafa takes off Liverpool's biggest scoring threat last Wednesday night with a hamstring problem when a goal was needed and then plays him on Saturday in a meaningless game and he scores! What is the craic there?

Not really. Benitez said Torres was feeling his hamstring on Wednesday so he was taken off. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to play the following Sunday though. Had he played on he may have done his hamstring and probably missed the European championships. Maybe this played into the decision too?

I think most Liverpool fans have taken his word for it. Can't see why he would have been taken off otherwise unless he was feeling a strain. There hasn't been much talk about it on the forums anyway once Benitez explained his decision.

stevo-08

Quote from: EC Unique on May 06, 2008, 03:04:27 PM

I think this was answered earlier but just to correct you - the man city game was sunday not saturday, an extra day to recover. i've no doubt that if Torres was able to continue v Chelsea, he would have remained on the pitch.

Quote from: stevo-08 on May 06, 2008, 12:11:38 PM
agree with AZ's assessment above. I've said it a few times already - we need a winger, central midfielder & striker before even contemplating challenging for the title.

Stiff Breeze is right about the number of draws being the biggest problem this year but the bottom line is that 1 additional player will not make up that gap. Between the PL & CL, we played the top 3 teams 10 times and the results are (only using 90mins in the CL games): W1, L2, D7. That's a brutal record.

I also think the 4-4-1-1 formation only works effectively against the average teams in the PL. We need to play 4-4-2 against the top 3 teams with a quality striker beside torres (and i dont mean crouch/voronin/kuyt).

By the way, a little quiz question for you Pool fans to keep you occupied now the season is over: Apart from 1966, there have been 5 liverpool players, (past, present and future) to have played in a World Cup Final. Can you name them?

1 played while he was with us
2 joined us after playing (and winning) world cups
2 went on to play in finals after leaving us.

Surprised nobody's had a go at these. Maybe they got lost amongst all the playground squabbling earlier. Any takers?

Minder

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 06, 2008, 02:34:48 PM
On an aside, I don't know if anyone watches ESPN Classic.  The team of 87-88 were on last night with Aldo being interviewed.  That was some team, what I wouldn't give for Digger and Beardsley now!

That was the best Liverpool team i have seen, Barnes was in the form of his life that year. I remember two goals he scored against QPR were something else. Would love to have seen them having a crack at the European Cup.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

quit yo jibbajabba

answers to the three quiz questions;

1 of them is definitely hamann, (nice to see him get a great reception on sun)
1 of t'others could be pellegrino, although im waitin to be shot down on that one; half a guess;

and thats all i could come up with...

AZOffaly

I'll have a go.

1 played while he was with us
2 joined us after playing (and winning) world cups
2 went on to play in finals after leaving us.

Hamann
Anelka?
Zeige/Cisse?