The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 06, 2008, 12:10:20 PM
Exactly, and the reason the good teams get 3 points with first teamers missing, is because the lads coming in would be first teamers, or better than first teamers, on the team they are playing against. Hence strength in depth, but real strength, not just numbers covering positions.

Yes, so yer man's assertion that liverpool weren't off the title this year only.... was nonsense?

stiff breeze

Quote from: Uladh on May 06, 2008, 12:07:35 PM
Spurs and blackburn have drawn the same number of games as liverpool. fulham and middlesboro one less. Can they push fir the premiership next season?

if you talk to any team's supporters there are so many needless points dropped and thats what makes it interesting. they best team doesn't win every week. however, the good teams are able to squeeze a point out of bad days and steal 3 on the mediocre ones.
you didnt think that point through at all.  games won by spurs  11. games won by blackburn 15. games won by liverpool 20. Im comparing the form of the top two with liverpools. united have only drawn 6 and chelsea 9 though each team has lost nearly the same amount of games so as i said originally DRAWS COST US OUR SEASON

AZOffaly

How long is a piece of string? As Dinny says it is hypothetical because Liverpool didn't turn defeats into draws, and more importantly draws into wins. In my view the reason for that is that LFC's 'strength in depth' is not nearly as deep as United or Chelsea's. Same problem for Arsenal actually.

Hypothetically again, but if Liverpool sign players who are better than Kuyt and co, then they will be closer because they will win more of those games.

stiff breeze

Quote from: EC Unique on May 06, 2008, 12:09:38 PM
Seems a bit strange that Rafa takes off Liverpool's biggest scoring threat last Wednesday night with a hamstring problem when a goal was needed and then plays him on Saturday in a meaningless game and he scores! What is the craic there?

did that sub not score?? have you never heard of recovery from injuries, wats the point playing some1 with a tweaked hamstring against 1 of the best defenses in the league?

Dinny Breen

Quotebut I think Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres as a spine

I like Reina, but would he displace VDS or Cech, VDS maybe as he has shown signs that he is on a downward spiral but Cech is a better goalie than Reina. Carragher is not better not Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry or Carvalho and the player has to be better. Mascherano, sorry until he learns to pass the ball he will always just be a water-carrier to me.

It's not about matching Chelsea or Man U's quality it's about surpassing it. Only then will Liverpool really challenge for the tiltle.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 12:18:40 PM
Quotebut I think Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres as a spine

I like Reina, but would he displace VDS or Cech, VDS maybe as he has shown signs that he is on a downward spiral but Cech is a better goalie than Reina. Carragher is not better not Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry or Carvalho and the player has to be better. Mascherano, sorry until he learns to pass the ball he always just be a water-carrier to me.

It's not about matching Chelsea or Man U's quality it's about surpassing it. Only then will Liverpool really challenge for the tiltle.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. In my view if you match them for quality, and play to that quality, then you will, by definition, be challenging for the title.

stiff breeze

Quote from: full back on May 06, 2008, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 12:02:23 PM
just making the point that we are not that far from challenging for the title

How deluded are you?
You are far away from challenging for the title, and without major additions the pool wont be challenging in the near future

I dont want us to be chelsea and buy the title. arsenal have made no major additions in the past 3 or 4 years except for maybe gallas. yet they were challenging up until 3 weeks ago . I would like to see us developing youth with a mixture of experianced campaigners in there too.

Uladh

Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 12:22:21 PM

How deluded are you?
You are far away from challenging for the title, and without major additions the pool wont be challenging in the near future

I dont want us to be chelsea and buy the title. arsenal have made no major additions in the past 3 or 4 years except for maybe gallas. yet they were challenging up until 3 weeks ago . I would like to see us developing youth with a mixture of experianced campaigners in there too.

Thats a myth. Arsenal have bought nearly every player they have

Dinny Breen

QuoteWell, that's a matter of opinion. In my view if you match them for quality, and play to that quality, then you will, by definition, be challenging for the title.

I digress becuase those two would have the belief and the experience of winning titles, you just need that bit more elsewhere.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

QuoteThats a myth. Arsenal have bought nearly every player they have

They buy them young and develop them, suibtle difference between that and spending 16m plus on squad players like Hargreaves, Carrick or Nani. When was the last time Man U actually developed a player, Wes Brown???
#newbridgeornowhere

stiff breeze

Quote from: Uladh on May 06, 2008, 12:26:16 PM
Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 12:22:21 PM

How deluded are you?

Thats a myth. Arsenal have bought nearly every player they have

do me a favour and start reading my posts through, I said major additions as in big money buys or swaps!! they bought most of their players young and brought them through the ranks

stiff breeze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 12:28:50 PM

They buy them young and develop them, suibtle difference between that and spending 16m plus on squad players like Hargreaves, Carrick or Nani. When was the last time Man U actually developed a player, Wes Brown???

ha ha and wat a development he is

AFS

Fletcher, Pique, O'Shea. And arguably Rooney and Ronaldo, both of whom came to the club before they turned 18. Most of Arsenal's young talent has also been bought when they were around 17/18.

full back

Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 12:30:29 PM

ha ha and wat a development he is

He would make the scousers team ;)

Uladh

United currently have Brown, neville, scholes, fletcher and giggs in the squad who they never paid a bean for. how many have arsenal?