The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Two Laois Lads! :D

Would the real one please stand up.

the Deel Rover

:D :D :D I always thought LL had a split personality  ;) anyway they can look on the bright side and share Debbie ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 19, 2008, 03:16:58 PM
:D :D :D I always thought LL had a split personality  ;) anyway they can look on the bright side and share Debbie ;)

Aye, they don't have to make a decision between the goat and debbie now!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 19, 2008, 03:18:20 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 19, 2008, 03:16:58 PM

Aye, they don't have to make a decision between the goat and debbie now!

Rock, scissors , paper should sort out who gets what ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

deiseach

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 19, 2008, 09:09:40 AM
United have never lost a European final so its hard for United fans to comprehend what it would be like.  ;D

How many semi-finals have Man U lost? Just asking.

From the Bunker

Quote from: deiseach on March 19, 2008, 07:08:39 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 19, 2008, 09:09:40 AM
United have never lost a European final so its hard for United fans to comprehend what it would be like.  ;D

How many semi-finals have Man U lost? Just asking.

7 as far as i know 56/57, 57/58, 65/66, 68/69, 96/97, 01/02 and 06/07

From the Bunker

Liverpool have lost one semi final ( as far as i now) 1964/65 v Inter.....it has been claimed that the Ref for the return tie was bought! :(

AZOffaly

magpie seanie

Quote7 as far as i know 56/57, 57/58, 65/66, 68/69, 96/97, 01/02 and 06/07

Throw in a Cup Winners Cup in 83/84 and Fairs Cup in 64/65 to complete the tale of United's European semi final woe over the years.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 20, 2008, 09:37:09 AM

Throw in a Cup Winners Cup in 83/84 and Fairs Cup in 64/65 to complete the tale of United's European semi final woe over the years.
Who beat them in the ECWC in 84? I certainly would have watched it, but can't remember it.

As for Saturday Sunday, I'd imagine the Liverpool team will largely pick itself. Mascho and Alonso in the holding roles, Babel and Kuyt out wide with Gerrard supporting Torres down the middle.

Only in defence are places up for grabs. Going on recent selections it would seem Aurelio is rated ahead of Riise for left back, which I agree with - though being dropped has improved Riise's form, so I wouldnt mind too much either way. With Finnan out (I think) it'll either be Carra or Arbeloa at full back. Arbeloa's confidence and form has dipped dramatically since he had those few games at centre half around the turn of the year, but I'd still much prefer to see him (in his best position) than Carragher at right back. If thats the case then there'll be one final place between Sami and the Skirt. And despite a few errors he's made, I'd probably plump for the Slovak.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on March 20, 2008, 12:02:02 PM

Who beat them in the ECWC in 84? I certainly would have watched it, but can't remember it.

As for Saturday, I'd imagine the Liverpool team will largely pick itself. Mascho and Alonso in the holding roles, Babel and Kuyt out wide with Gerrard supporting Torres down the middle.

Only in defence are places up for grabs. Going on recent selections it would seem Aurelio is rated ahead of Riise for left back, which I agree with - though being dropped has improved Riise's form, so I wouldnt mind too much either way. With Finnan out (I think) it'll either be Carra or Arbeloa at full back. Arbeloa's confidence and form has dipped dramatically since he had those few games at centre half around the turn of the year, but I'd still much prefer to see him (in his best position) than Carragher at right back. If thats the case then there'll be one final place between Sami and the Skirt. And despite a few errors he's made, I'd probably plump for the Slovak.

If Skrtel is picked, and I think he will be, he'd better not feck around with the ball, trying to be Franco Baresi or Alan Hansen. Rooney will harrass him to death, and he'll give up a clear cut chance.

By the way, the game is on Sunday isn't it? I have to plan my weekend drinking :D

Hound

magpie seanie

QuoteWho beat them in the ECWC in 84? I certainly would have watched it, but can't remember it.

Juventus of Boniek, Rossi, Tardelli, Gentile, Cabrini and a certain Frenchman called Platini. United had just completed an epic comback against Maradona's Barcelona in the last round (won 3-0 at home after a 0-2 in Nou Camp). The semi was 1-1 in OT and lost 1-2 in Turin. That was a pretty good United team in those days but they never had enough consistency under Ron to take the title.

stevo-08

Quote from: Hound on March 20, 2008, 12:02:02 PM

As for Saturday Sunday, I'd imagine the Liverpool team will largely pick itself. Mascho and Alonso in the holding roles, Babel and Kuyt out wide with Gerrard supporting Torres down the middle.

Well carragher, skrtel & arbeloa have all stated the last 3 league games so I dont expect him to change that.  ;)
That would leave riise to battle it out with aurelio for left back as you say. Think I'd just about give the brazilian the nod. The rest of the team should pick itself and a big improvement is expected from the last meeting between the two sides. Certainly, you'd hope kuyt will be able to stop evra making those runs which did so much damage in anfield.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 20, 2008, 12:32:36 PM
QuoteWho beat them in the ECWC in 84? I certainly would have watched it, but can't remember it.

Juventus of Boniek, Rossi, Tardelli, Gentile, Cabrini and a certain Frenchman called Platini. United had just completed an epic comback against Maradona's Barcelona in the last round (won 3-0 at home after a 0-2 in Nou Camp). The semi was 1-1 in OT and lost 1-2 in Turin. That was a pretty good United team in those days but they never had enough consistency under Ron to take the title.
That United team was a good one alright. Looked world beaters at times, but were up against an excellent, and as you say more consistent, Liverpool side. The funny thing was that Ron never even got a second place spot, with the likes of Ipswich, Watford and Southampton pushing them down the pecking order. Although in those days it was definitely first was first and second was nowhere, as there were no champions league consolation spots.