The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Liverpool are terrible in the League I will admit that but what annoys me is people saying we are only good in Cup competitions. In 2005 we played 15 games to win the Champions League loosing once. It is not the fact that it is a cup competition, more the fact that tactics come into play alot more in Europe and in my eyes, tactically Rafa is the best about. (In Europe anyway)

Team for 2nd leg:

Reina
Finnan JC Hyypia Aurelio (even if he was brutal the other night)
Pennant Masch Alonso Babel
  Gerrard
         Torres.

mackers

Tuesday night's result got me thinking as to why Europe suits Rafa and he has struggled so badly in the Premier League. Playing in Europe seems to suit his tactical genius whereas in the Premier League nobody really plays with any great tactics, they just to go out to play. In the Premier League, it's down to how the players perform on the day. His tactical outlook on football is lost in the Premier League.
To win the Premier League he simply needs to buy better players than he has done (with the odd exception).
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

EC Unique

Quote from: mackers on February 21, 2008, 03:00:28 PM
Tuesday night's result got me thinking as to why Europe suits Rafa and he has struggled so badly in the Premier League. Playing in Europe seems to suit his tactical genius whereas in the Premier League nobody really plays with any great tactics, they just to go out to play. In the Premier League, it's down to how the players perform on the day. His tactical outlook on football is lost in the Premier League.
To win the Premier League he simply needs to buy better players than he has done (with the odd exception).

Dont know if that really makes sense... If he is a tactical genius and nobody else plays with any great tactics then he should be able to win more games. If his players are good enough to win in europe they should be good enough to win in Premiership. They will be found out in Europe this year I think. If they are going to the final they probably will have to beat Premiership opposition anyway!

corn02

Agreed, we are bound to meet Chelsea in the semis.

stevo-08

Not sure i subscribe to the "Rafa's tactical genius" theory either.
look at his results for liverpool:

Champ Lge: In the 4 seasons, Liverpool have played 52 CL games, winning 31 (59.6%), drawing 10 (19.2%) & losing 11 (21.2%). Now for the PL, in the last 2 full seasons, we have played 76 games, winning 45 (59.2%), drawing 15 (19.8%) & losing 16 (21%).

Very similar % rates. I think the simple reason we have been so successful in the CL, is that for away games a draw/narrow defeat isnt a bad result. However in the PL, you just fall further & further away from the top teams with those results.

Mentalman

Quote from: stevo-08 on February 21, 2008, 05:06:01 PM
Not sure i subscribe to the "Rafa's tactical genius" theory either.
look at his results for liverpool:

Champ Lge: In the 4 seasons, Liverpool have played 52 CL games, winning 31 (59.6%), drawing 10 (19.2%) & losing 11 (21.2%). Now for the PL, in the last 2 full seasons, we have played 76 games, winning 45 (59.2%), drawing 15 (19.8%) & losing 16 (21%).

Very similar % rates. I think the simple reason we have been so successful in the CL, is that for away games a draw/narrow defeat isnt a bad result. However in the PL, you just fall further & further away from the top teams with those results.

Also in the CL group stages you can afford to lose games and still qualify, as Liverpool have probably proved more than any other team in recent times - that's the system. Again proving that when the chips are down they can get themselves up for matchs of importance (Olympiacos), whereas the hum drum games often escape them (Marseille).
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on February 21, 2008, 12:29:51 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 21, 2008, 12:03:55 PM

My team at present would be

Reina
Finnan Carragher Hyppia Arbeloa
               Masch Lucas
Benyayoun    Gerrard      Babel
                   Torres               

Plan B if needed bring on Crouch and Pennant
Quote from: corn02 on February 21, 2008, 02:26:37 PM

Reina
Finnan JC Hyypia Aurelio (even if he was brutal the other night)
Pennant Masch Alonso Babel
  Gerrard
         Torres.

Do you really think Babel is good enough to start for Liverpool or is it a case that their is nobody else to play in that position ?
I would pick Riise ahead of him to be honest i thought Babel was awful the other night,constantly giving the ball away,In fact i haven't seen anything from him this season to make me think he is worth a starting place
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gabriel_Hurl

I'd have him up front with Torres as our first choice strikers

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 21, 2008, 08:08:15 PM

Thats not a bad idea,I certainly wouldn't have him on the wing.He gives the ball away to much and tries to take on players when a pass would be a better option..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 21, 2008, 08:11:20 PM

Thats not a bad idea,I certainly would have him on the wing.He gives the ball away to much and tries to take on players when a pass would be a better option..

The reason I've had him in is simple...pace. This could be useful as i expect we will have to play a lot of counter-attacking football. He also has a degree of unpredictability which we serious lack.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on February 21, 2008, 09:01:37 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 21, 2008, 08:11:20 PM

Thats not a bad idea,I certainly would have him on the wing.He gives the ball away to much and tries to take on players when a pass would be a better option..

The reason I've had him in is simple...pace. This could be useful as i expect we will have to play a lot of counter-attacking football. He also has a degree of unpredictability which we serious lack.

Pace is all well and good but when you use it to run into dead ends like Babel does its not much use...
The only thing unpredictable i can see about Babel is you never know when he is going to make a simple pass or go on a crazy run and try and beat 4 defenders on his own
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mackers

OK, tactical genius was a bit OTT, what I meant what he seems to enjoy the games of chess that you get more often in Europe than you do in the Premier League. Premier League teams & managers don't rely as much on tactics as European clubs do.

That's a good comeback though, stevo-08, kicks my theory into touch! :-[
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

FermGael

seems to be a bit of a defensive crisis.  Taken from the bbc website
QuoteLiverpool have a defensive headache with Jamie Carragher suspended and Martin Skrtel (ankle) set to miss out.

Daniel Agger can resume playing after his foot problem but he will not be risked, meaning Alvaro Arbeloa could partner Sami Hyypia in the centre.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

gawa316

Quote from: FermGael on February 23, 2008, 10:35:46 AM
seems to be a bit of a defensive crisis.  Taken from the bbc website
QuoteLiverpool have a defensive headache with Jamie Carragher suspended and Martin Skrtel (ankle) set to miss out.

Daniel Agger can resume playing after his foot problem but he will not be risked, meaning Alvaro Arbeloa could partner Sami Hyypia in the centre.

Taken from Liverpoolfc.tv

With Jamie Carragher suspended for the Middlesbrough clash after picking up five yellow cards, Martin Skrtel is likely to partner Sami Hyypia.

The Slovak has recovered from a calf injury which kept him out against Barnsley and Inter.

Rafa Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "We will try to manage without Carra. We have the experience of Sami and Martin is available.

stevo-08

Quote from: mackers on February 22, 2008, 04:42:08 PM
OK, tactical genius was a bit OTT, what I meant what he seems to enjoy the games of chess that you get more often in Europe than you do in the Premier League. Premier League teams & managers don't rely as much on tactics as European clubs do.

That's a good comeback though, stevo-08, kicks my theory into touch! :-[

yea, i agree mackers. he definitely seems to enjoy the CL. and to be fair, i think in the CL, you dont often play teams who set out to defend 100%. unlike the PL, where man city for example, boasting a 100% home record and lying 5th, played for a draw against liverpool. that just doesnt seem to suit benitez. but i actually think he is a good manager and given more time & money could deliver the PL.

anyway, lets hope for some improvement in todays game v boro.