The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 10, 2008, 10:03:42 PM
Whilst a draw was no good to either team is was an unbelievable result for liverpool given the gulf in class between the 2 teams.  The loss of Torres made that gulf more like the grand canyon.    Take Gerrard & Carragher out of the Liverpool set-up and it's like Glentoran versus Celtic.

You obviously watched the game. ::)

J70

Quote from: stew on February 10, 2008, 10:34:29 PM
Whilst a draw was no good to either team is was an unbelievable result for liverpool given the gulf in class between the 2 teams.  The loss of Torres made that gulf more like the grand canyon.    Take Gerrard & Carragher out of the Liverpool set-up and it's like Glentoran versus Celtic.

Gerrard has gone awol in quite a few games this year, far too many times he has been ineffective and a non factor and although a tremendous player on his day he sems to be having more ordinary games than he has in the past and he is not the player he was in seasons past.

I thought Gerrard played well today.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stew on February 10, 2008, 10:34:29 PM

Gerrard has gone awol in quite a few games this year, far too many times he has been ineffective and a non factor and although a tremendous player on his day he sems to be having more ordinary games than he has in the past and he is not the player he was in seasons past.

Actually he's got 16 goals so far this season which is his 2nd highest total ever with still a fair bit of the season left. He got 23 in 2005/6.

Norf Tyrone

Sorry I haven't added my tuppence before now. Unfortunately I was over at the game on Sunday, and only back last night. Was it the worst game the Premiership has ever seen? It was a shocker where I was sitting.

Liverpool edged it, but neither side deserved a point in my opinion. For Liverpool Skertel, Carragher and to a lesser degree Mascherano played well, with only Alex deserving a mention for Chelsea.

Anelka will never be able to play on his own up front at home, where defences sit deep. Away from home, the back line tends to push up allowing him more space to move into. On Sunday he was totally lost. I was also disapointed to see Lamaprd start, as I don't think after 2 months out you can breeze straight back into the side. On Sunday it showed as he lacked fitness, and I thought he was very lucky to last 75 minutes. Indeed when he went off, Ballack found more space going forward and could've scored (I had Ballack 1-0 backed too!). This is the other enigma...can they play together?

Anyhow with 8 points to make up it's going to be very tough. In addition the Goons have another league game before we play again, and the pyschological affect of an 11 point defecit might be too much.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

brokencrossbar1

Heard a few rumours floating about the sites for summer transfers.  i think it was mentioned earlier but a straight swap between Alonso and Henry.  Would be OK as I think Alonso has lost a bit of the heart in playing for Liverpool.  What I think is more interesting, and more likely, is a deal involving either one or both of Finnan and Pennant in a swap with David Bentley.  I like Bentley and think he could give the wee bit extra on the wing.

Also givven that the Reserves are doing so well(top of the League by 5 points) maybe it is time to move some of them to the main squad on a more regular basis.  i would like to see Insua getting a run at LB as I think he could save money and solve a major problem for us.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 13, 2008, 06:52:02 PM
What I think is more interesting, and more likely, is a deal involving either one or both of Finnan and Pennant in a swap with David Bentley.  I like Bentley and think he could give the wee bit extra on the wing.

Also givven that the Reserves are doing so well(top of the League by 5 points) maybe it is time to move some of them to the main squad on a more regular basis.  i would like to see Insua getting a run at LB as I think he could save money and solve a major problem for us.

Bentley would be good alright as he's an excellent crosser of the ball. Can't see Blackburn letting him go easily though. I'd say you'd be looking at 10 to 12 million.

Saw a bit of the reserves the last night against Sunderland. Some good players in there alright beating an experinced Sunderland reserve team. Rafa is obviously trying to do to the youth system what Wenger did at Arsenal. The Hungarian lad up front Nemeth has been banging them in.

gawa316

DIC AGREE LIVERPOOL DEAL - REPORTS
Posted 14/02/08 08:22EmailPrintSave

DIC are reportedly on the verge of completing their takeover of Liverpool.

According to The Daily Mirror, the Dubai International Capital group - the investment arm of the Dubai government - have reached an 'outline agreement' with current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to buy the club for around £460million.

The Mirror claims that 'sources in New York' have confirmed that a deal is in place, and could be completed by the middle of March.

DIC failed in their initial bid to buy Liverpool when Hicks and Gillett took over in 2007, but are now prepared to effectively double the Americans' money for the club.

Hicks and Gillett recently completed a £350million refinancing deal on the money they borrowed to buy the club, which left Liverpool saddled with around £105million of debt.

While Rafa Benitez has, to put it mildly, had his disagreements with Hicks and Gillett, the takeover might not be the best news for him after all.

I wonder is there any truth in this?

AZOffaly

The mirror? Wouldn't believe their radio.

Silky

I heard on the sports news earlier that it was going a head. The Yanks have agreed to sell.

AZOffaly

Silky

It might have been BBC. I wasn't in my own car at the time and the item was over before I caught on what it was about.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2008, 11:58:39 AM
There's nothing on Liverpoolfc.tv

In fairness AZ you will be waiting a while before you see it on Liverpoolfc.tv They dont really deal in conjecture, strictly official announcements !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on February 15, 2008, 12:00:01 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2008, 11:58:39 AM
There's nothing on Liverpoolfc.tv

In fairness AZ you will be waiting a while before you see it on Liverpoolfc.tv They dont really deal in conjecture, strictly official announcements !

That's what we should all deal in :D