The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

I would imagine that this deal might change the need to get Heinz. Personally I like Riise as a wing back. Fair enough he's prob much better going forward than he is as a defender but you can get away with that in alot of the premiership games when we're trying to break down the likes of Bolton or someone who drop 10 men behind the ball.
But I suppose having heinz would mean a bit of cover for Agger and Carra.
I wonder will this mean that either Kewell or Gonzales will be out?
I'll be honest I don't know much about this Babel guy? But he's young and from the sound of it he had a great U21 Championship.

SuperSub

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2007, 02:01:11 AM
Quote from: Balboa on July 09, 2007, 10:25:55 PM
I hope he does pack it in for those wankers, will prolong his Liverpool career. All he does is defend, maybe thats not what Mc Calren is looking for in a central defender. Maybe if he was a bit more high profile with the media, ( obvious Mc Claren is a media whore when he let them dictate that he should take the great white hype Beckham back) or if he got his hair braided or dreadlocks put in it he would be further up the pecking order.

Its hard to argue against Ferdinand and Terry as the first choice - they're not inferior players to Carragher, even if Ferdinand's mind wanders from time to time! Carragher is right though, if at this stage he's not even going to the first choice back-up for that pair, he's probably wasting his time and energy going on international duty. Unfortunately for him, England have got a number of decent options at centre-half. Ireland were in a similar, if not better, position in the late eighties when Jack Charlton could afford to banish a top-class defender like David O'Leary to the wilderness for two years because he had McCarthy, Moran, Lawrenson (albeit very briefly) and McGrath. And its not quite up there with Alex Ferguson leaving Alan Hansen, captain of Liverpool and one of the classiest defenders in Europe, behind when going to Mexico in 1986!

Rio Ferdinand is nowhere near as good as Carragher

Uladh

Do you think there's a reason why only Liverpool supporters believe that?

magpie seanie

QuoteRio Ferdinand is nowhere near as good as Carragher

Why don't ye start a petition?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Declan on July 10, 2007, 09:25:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJxocLDfEA

Fair play to Carragher

Yeah fair play to him is right,Can't believe the presenter said Woodgate was better than him never mind Rio the Donkey
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Norf Tyrone

I perfer Carragher to Rio....but neither are as good as Carvalho or Terry!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

supersarsfields

This Rio v's Carragher debate will just run and run!!  :D
My personal view on it is prob that Rio has more natural footballing ability. However I don't believe he uses it to all his potential. Were as I believe Carragher while maybe not as naturally gifted plays to his full potential most games.

Personally I'd pick Carragher but again i'm bias.

heganboy

New kid on the block,
well we may have got Torres, but its the Austrian teenager, Besian Idrizaj that scored a 19minute hat trick against Wrexham in Liverpools first game of the new season...
p.s. all 3 came from pennant crosses!
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

brokencrossbar1

Comparing Ferdinand and Carragher is an apples and oranges one.  Totally different players and I actually think they would make a very good partnership.  Ferdinand is a better ball player and is faster.  Carraghers is a great general and organiser with a great ability to play above his limitations.  His reading of play is better but Ferdinand strenght and speed covers his tendency to lose concentration.

Hegan, that young lad looks handy enough and if this new Academy boy lives up to his reputation then the long term future looks pretty good.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 10, 2007, 03:36:00 PM
From the bbc.

Liverpool are set to sign Ajax winger Ryan Babel after returning with a £13.5m bid on Monday night on the back of having a £10m offer rejected.

Have too admit i've never heard of this fella.
13mill seems alot
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Uladh on July 10, 2007, 04:02:52 PM

Do you think there's a reason why only Liverpool supporters believe that?

Trawl through some football forums. There's plenty of non LFC fans who would agree.

Personally I think Carragher is a better defender. At simply defending. Getting tackles in, blocks in, heading balls away, positioning, etc.

Ferdinand is quicker over the turf and probably a bit better with the ball at his feet and coming out of defence but wouldn't be quite as good at the nuts and bolts of defending as Carragher.

Mentalman

Like the man said chalk and cheese. I too believe they would complement each other perfectly. Carragher, despite starting his Liverpool career in midfield, has become an old fashioned, and very good stopper. Rio on the other hand has higher ideals for himself, I imagine in Italy you would have been a libero, bringing the ball out fromthe back and spraying passes, and his natural pace allowd him that luxury, as he always seems to be able to recover from all but the most horrendous errors. That's also why I think himself and Vidic work so well togther, Vidic been a bit of a Carragher/Stevie Bruce clone.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

The Real Laoislad

A defender is there to defend..That might be stating the obvious but Carra is a proper defender whereas Ferdinand is i admit more skillfull but you don't need your centre back too be skillfull you want him to defend.When the going gets tough you want someone to stick their head in where most players wouldn't put their foot.Ferdinand isn't that type of player he's all flash and relies on his speed to get himself out of trouble.
Every goes on about how Gerrard dragged Liverpool back against Milan in '05 but IMHO Carragher was man of the match that night
How anyone thinks Ferdinand is a better defender than Carragher is beyond to be honest
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossie11

Is there any word of us buying a playmaker? Complete waste of time buying Torres if we dont have creativity.
Benayoun was mentioned. I would take him as at the moment we have completely nothing in middle of park to do this job.
Slated and all as he was Garcia would link well with Torres but he is now gone and was never suited fully to English game anyway.
If we dont have a playmaker by the start of season you can already write off winning the premiership as a realistic ambition..
Hate to say it but true in my opinion.

The Real Laoislad

I don't think Liverpool are near winning a Premiership next year even if we sign a few more players
Hate to say it but with the signings Man Unshited have made they look odds on again
You'll Never Walk Alone.